dicey eye

Rainy Season Diminished Portions

Parrothead

If I remember correctly one poster had a problem with Ganesha restaurant and the owner wasn't around when it happened so in that case as similar to my situation, he told the owner's  Khmer wife about the issue and never got around to notifying the owner.

Not sure if you are referring to my issue with Ganesha? I did end up letting him know. But, like Chenda, I think his wife actually runs the place.

dicey eye

There is one rather portly expat from California, retired military and nurse, that eats lunch there everyday. I heard him tell both the wife and the husband about the mini-portions. They nodded and smiled. Asked him a few weeks later if his meal has gone back to normal size. He laughed and replied "no", adding that he could lose a few pounds anyway. One of their loyal customers. 

After informing Chenda about my disappointment I attempted to drive home the point through humor: mentioned that if the portions get any smaller she'll have to give out magnifying glasses so they could be seen.

mollydooker

It seems most Asians ....Phil / Cambodia etc all live by this " live for today forget about tomorrow " philosphy  ... and to pass a message on to the foreigner owner / manager is not really important ...the fact that a regular customer may never return and in turn advise others to avoid a business due to bad service what ever that may be ...simply is not registering in their brain !!

They just think on a different level compared with western people !!

sudsy

I think costumers have an easier time dealing with higher prices than they do with smaller portions.  My favorite burrito in the US (no it's not Taco Bell that's a close second ) has gone from $1 in the late 70's to $8.50 today.   If it shrunk that would have been much more difficult to deal with.  

Sure would like to hear from the boss man and his thinking.  I'm sure he'd say food costs.  Anyway how does beef get to Cambodia, Thailand and the Philippines? Is it all imported from Australia? Seems the cost would be outrageous.

Parrothead

I think costumers have an easier time dealing with higher prices than they do with smaller portions.

I would, without question.

andy

My recent visit to Battambang was a pleasure on the culinary side. Such many food choice's. I myself didn't come across small portions or restaurateurs cutting corners.

Parrothead

My recent visit to Battambang was a pleasure on the culinary side. Such many food choice's. I myself didn't come across small portions or restaurateurs cutting corners.

You haven't been around when Chan has prepared steaks or pork chops. You ain't seen a good meal at a local "Khmer" restaurant, compared to that, buddy. :D

andy

Sorry my friend I can not believe that! For every Khmer home I have ever visited "food" is always offered to the visitors by their kindness and custom.

Parrothead

Sorry my friend I can not believe that! For every Khmer home I have ever visited "food" is always offered to the visitors by their kindness and custom.

I didn't say that. I was saying you wouldn't find a better meal - better, meaning a good, well balanced, Western meal. Not those small-assed portions and bark from the trees.

andy

I also was never offered small portions by the restaurant's I had visited.

The only short offer I had before I had left was! I was in negotiations with a couple to buy there restaurant! He a westerner wanted to leave Cambodia. But the whole story unfortunately unfolded. He had put everything in his khmer ladies name! So he had, and has nothing to sell.