Parrothead

New (Temporary) digs for the fry.

Parrothead

The little guys (Tilapia fry) are about to out grow their current housing. That is the aquarium they have been in since Chan rescued them from the system filter. But, they are still too small to defend themselves against the larger fish in the fish tank. So, they can't go into the 1,000 liter IBC tote just yet.

We cut a barrel, added an SLO (Solids Lifting Overflow) and a temporary filter made from a 20 liters (~5 gallon) bucket. This will work until I can get some glass panels to partition the aquarium into a sump / filter for the new barrel they will call home. 

A few fotos of the test run after completing the build yesterday.

IMG_2799_r.jpg IMG_2804_r.jpg

IMG_2806_r.jpg IMG_2807_r.jpg

IMG_2801_r.jpg

IMG_2802_r.jpg

IMG_2805_r.jpg

IMG_2808_r.jpg

• Like 1

Parrothead

Well, we got them in the new tank yesterday afternoon. They can stay in this one now, until they are large enough to fend for themselves in the IBC tote. 

Basically, the volume of water doubled from 15 gallons (56 liters) to 30 gallons (113 liters).

The SLO (Solids Lifting Overflow) is keeping the new tank very clean. As soon as I make the filter / sump larger, I will be able to run the pump at a higher flow, to move the water at a higher rate, through the system.

IMG_2814_r.jpg

IMG_2817_r.jpg

IMG_2820_r.jpg

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Oz Jon

I'm impressed Paul!

What are you feeding the small fry on?

Can they nibble away at fly larvae?

Parrothead

I'm impressed Paul!

What are you feeding the small fry on?

Can they nibble away at fly larvae?

Hi mate,

At the moment, they are still on a mixture of Vitamins E and C. But, we have already started feeding them some Duckweed as well, one or two times per day. 

They are still a bit small for BSFL. When we transfer them to the large tank outside, we will start feeding them the larvae as well. 

Parrothead

UPDATE: 31 juvenile Tilapia transferred to IBC tote with original 10 Tilapia, on October 2nd, 2016.