andy

Good morning Cambodia

Bill H

This was my day:  Nurse woke me up to change my IV at 3:30 am.  Jut got back to sleep when two other nurses come to take my temp and BP.  Back to sleep briefly when the blood girl comes to draw blood, she's really bad at it, and it hurts like hell.  I give up sleeping at this point and fire up NetFlix to Watch the final episodes of House of Cards, great show that.

Now it's time to pee, which is a huge deal given all the tubes coming out of me, and painful too due to 12" cut in my gut next to a smaller 1" cut for a drain the seeps blood constantly.  The worst part is getting in and out of bed; there is no way around it, it's gonna hurt no matter what I do.  Once I'm out of bed, it's a snap getting to the head and draining my bladder.  The telemetry cart is on casters and easy to push around, but a bit top heavy from the IV bags.

I make it back to bed, get everything plugged back in, and reverse the getting out of bed routine.  It just smarts.  Finally back in bed when I realize I forgot to turn out the lights.  Well, shit, I'm not going to go through all this BS again, I'll just put up with bright lights and try for some more Zzzzz's.  My plan does not work, just as I'm about to Z off, in comes the food girl with my first semblance of food since Wednesday.  There is a small glass of what appears to be pee, and two large bowls of unknown liquids, one white one with a reddish tint.  I try the pee first.  Happy days, it's apple juice, way too sweet for my taste, but good enough for now.  I'm now optimistic the two bowls might not be too bad, fool that I am.

Bowl #1 with white content.  Not sure what it is, but whatever it is, it's not good.  Not really edible at all.  So I switch to bowl #2 the red content.  The nose test says some kind of beef broth.  The taste test is confusing, but no matter what it is, it's barely edible, but I choke down two swallows.  So much for breakfast.

I try for more sleep, but the nurses appear to be playing a game to see who can disrupt my sleep the most.  All things here are made much more complicated because very, very few people speak any English at all, so communications are nightmarish.  As I'm finishing the slop, two nurses come in to bathe me.  They are rough and seem fascinated by my member; they giggle a lot.  I want to try and finish the slop first, though, so I ask them to come back later.  They giggle and leave and come back at 6 pm just as they bring dinner.  Well, of course, they do.

Lunch is much worse than breakfast (which is hard to believe, but true).  No apple juice, just some kind of green liquid that taste like it's 99% sugar.  Yuck, I pass on that.  The rest of the meal consists of the red and white mystery bowls again, only this time, they are much worse.  No lunch for me today.

The afternoon is amazingly peaceful, and I'm not bothered very much at all.  I watch Marco Polo on Netflix most of the afternoon and catch a bit of a nap too.  Starting around five the nurses are back, I'm tired of being bled for sure.  Just as they finish, in comes dinner.  I'm shocked; there is actually bread and some kind of red soup, possibly tomato, but certainly edible.  No juice, though.  Then the wash girls come in wanting to strip me naked, so I give up and let them do their thing, giggling the whole time.

Once they finish, I finish what remains of my now cold dinner.

This is truly an experience I wish I'd been able to say I did but actually didn't do!

Wife returns from her med run to Cambodia this evening; I can't wait.

• Like 1

Parrothead

Now it's time to pee, which is a huge deal given all the tubes coming out of me, and painful too due to 12" cut in my gut next to a smaller 1" cut for a drain the seeps blood constantly.  The worst part is getting in and out of bed; there is no way around it, it's gonna hurt no matter what I do.  Once I'm out of bed, it's a snap getting to the head and draining my bladder.  The telemetry cart is on casters and easy to push around, but a bit top heavy from the IV bags.

They don't know what catheters are there?

They are rough and seem fascinated by my member; they giggle a lot.

They didn't think they come in extra-small? :D

Wife returns from her med run to Cambodia this evening; I can't wait.

Why does she have to go to Cambodia to buy meds for you? Not available locally?

Edited by Paul

Mikala

This is truly an experience I wish I'd been able to say I did but actually didn't do!

Thanks Bill for sharing that update. Now I feel much better about my life! :)

I hope things are working out for you. Did you get the surgery completed? Still in Bangkok? On the road to recovery?

• Like 1

Blackeye

Also, do the sponge bath nurses work by the hour or is it a salary sort of thing?

• Like 1

Bill H

You guys are funny!

I am in Bangkok, I've been here since Sep 11. The surgery was this past Thursday, the 22nd. Much to my surprise I survived the surgery. Except as noted, my recovery is progressing smoothly. I expect to return to Cambodia late next week to complete my recovery.

My wife returned to Cambodia to get meds I have in my private apothecary which are not available here.

Now you know! Did I miss anyone's questions?

• Like 2

andy

Seen the boat thread Bill!

post-1230-0-74833600-1475124699_thumb.jpg

Would be perfect for recovery after your health misfortune :)