dicey eye

Myanmar police hunt for British teacher after colleague is found dead

dicey eye

I taught at Horizon for two and a half years - not there now -  Teachers I hired when I was admin at a school in BTB teach there now. They say trouble is brewing for foreigners in Myanmar now.

Police believe colleague may have left country after victim, also British, was found dead with head and chest wounds in Yangon apartment

Myanmar police are looking for a British teacher who they believe might have fled the country after his colleague was found dead following a night of drinking in downtown Yangon.

The 45-year-old victim, also a British man, was named by police as Harris John Italo Binotti.

He was found dead inside his co-worker’s apartment with wounds on his head and chest, police said. His wife told officers the pair had been out drinking on Friday night and that she had been unable to reach her husband the following morning.

She contacted authorities on Sunday after reportedly discovering his body inside his 25-year-old colleague’s apartment in Yangon’s downtown riverside district.

“The victim and defendant are school teachers from Horizon international school and they are friends,†a local officer said.

The 25-year-old was being sought by police and remained at large, he added.

“The other teacher has left the country today without informing anyone,†said a police officer in Kyauktada township.

The international school, a private institution that offers classes from kindergarten to high school, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Agence France-Presse and Associated Press contributed to this report

Parrothead

Someone is in hot water.

dicey eye

I emailed a former teaching colleague who currently works at Horizon, he said 8 foreigner teachers went out drinking after class Friday evening at Uptown Bar. He left the group at 7:30PM to go home to eat. I asked if he saw any friction between the two teachers before he left, he replied he didn't.

He opined the police will be interviewing all the teachers and double checking their police clearance from their native countries.

From the Frontier Myanmar's Ministry of Information said Binotti had left the country on Saturday, but gave no further details on his whereabouts. "The defendant of the case left from Yangon International Airport by Thai Airways on the evening on 5 November," it said in a statement. Elderly neighbour Myint Myint, who lives on the ground floor of the building where the body was found, said she had heard people arguing. "I heard their cries, saying: 'Go, go,' but I can't understand the rest as it was in English," she told AFP. "I heard them throwing things. I think it happened around 4:00 am (on Saturday). Then they became silent."

Edited by dicey eye

Parrothead

He's on the lam.

dicey eye

Horizon International is a rough place to work- I gutted it out due to the attractive salary. Its run by a group of rather doctrinaire Turkish Muslims. Very uptight place. The foreign teachers have always let off steam Friday nights after enduring another week of Islamic rules and regulations.

Though when I was there the letting off of steam didn't cross over to violence.

Parrothead

C'mon, Dicey.

You can tell your pals. We can keep a secret, honest injun.

How many bodies did you bury in the back yard?

Edited by Paul

dicey eye

Might have broken a couple of hearts, though that's never been proven.

• Like 1

dicey eye

British teacher killed in Yangon: Neighbors recount what happened that night

By Coconuts Yangon November 7, 2016 / 20:47 MMT

Like Coconuts YGN on Facebook Follow Coconuts YGN on Twitter

Coconuts Yangon spoke to several residents of the building where Harris Binotti, 25, lived before he was wanted in connection to the death of fellow teacher Peter Gary Ferguson, 47.  

Here’s a timeline of the ensuing events based on their testimony and previous reporting on the case.

Saturday, 12am: Several people entered the suspect’s home on 39th Street, including the suspect, the victim and at least one woman.

[An anonymous source who is familiar with the suspect and his girlfriend said they were coming from a nearby bar. The source said the suspect and his girlfriend, who has been identified as Elsie Devolder, had been quarreling.]

3am: One 60-year-old woman living in the building said she heard a scuffle, which lasted around 15 minutes. She said she heard a woman screaming.

A man living in the apartment beside Binotti's said he looked through the peephole of his door and momentarily saw a man lying on the ground. Binotti was trying to remove the incapacitated man from the apartment. One of the men was heard ‘apologizing’.

The Guardian has reported that the man being removed from the apartment was heard saying “I just need policeâ€.

4:30am: The neighbors said the commotion stopped.

Saturday, 5pm: Binotti reportedly fled to Thailand. The apartment remained locked all day.

Sunday, 8am: The 60-year-old neighbor said the same woman who was heard screaming during the scuffle in the early hours of Saturday morning returned to the apartment with the victim’s wife, Supatchaya Sichompor, and one other foreigner. The door was locked, so the group broke the locks with the help of one local community member and discovered the body of Peter Gary Ferguson. The victim's wife contacted the police.

10am: Police came to the apartment, and the body of the victim was taken away by ambulance.

The victim’s wife and the others left the apartment, and the police locked it.

Monday afternoon: Devolder returned to the apartment with a foreign man. Plainclothes police from the Special Branch and another foreign woman came to the apartment a few minutes later. The woman had a large, pink suitcase that was apparently empty.The group spent several hours in the apartment.

3pm: Devolder, the two other foreigners and the police exited the apartment with the suitcase, which was now full.

BBC’s Jonah Fisher asked Devolder: “Did you help your boyfriend escape? Why did it take you so long to report the body?†She rushed to a waiting car with her face concealed under a shawl. The man accompanying her rushed at Fisher but was blocked by another journalist. He then returned to the car and drove off.

Special Branch officers at the scene said they are in touch with INTERPOL and are trying to apprehend Binotti.

• Like 1

dicey eye

The teacher on the lam, Harris Binotti, taught briefly in Cambodia before moving to Myanmar. He had a short stint at Western International School in PP. - rumor is he got canned after merely a couple weeks. 

Here's his original facebook photo that he changed a couple days after the incident to one that isn't quite so manic. post-186-0-68314900-1479110398_thumb.jpg

Bet you might spot him at GSM in the evening.

Parrothead

That water is heating up.