Parrothead

New addition (calf) to the farm - 05/11/2016

andy

Breeding the cows seems to be every 14 months in this country, your stock will happily grow. Are the cattle to be used as dray or food. If not only wealth "we have and you have not".

Do you have them vaccinated, if so for what dieses. I had recently reading that some of the most healthy cattle are in Battambang Provence. What is the breed of your cattle?

Parrothead

Breeding the cows seems to be every 14 months in this country, your stock will happily grow.

Well, they tell me we will have one calf per cow, each year. From the time a calf is aged 2, it can start mating, apparently.

Are the cattle to be used as dray or food. If not only wealth "we have and you have not".

I already answered you in THIS REPLY. I am working on one thing and one thing only, to build the herd. I want a large herd of cattle. Then, we will watch prices for buying / selling.

Do you have them vaccinated, if so for what dieses. I had recently reading that some of the most healthy cattle are in Battambang Provence.

Couldn't tell ya. I have no idea. I will make it a point to check to see what they need to be vaccinated against, though. 

What is the breed of your cattle?

I have no idea. Maybe you know? They all look like this:

IMG_3029_8x6.jpg

andy

Couldn't tell ya. I have no idea. I will make it a point to check to see what they need to be vaccinated against, though.

Apparently foot and mouth has been a problem in the past in Battambang Provence.

I have no idea. Maybe you know? They all look like this:

I have no idea Edited by andy

Parrothead

Apparently foot and mouth has been a problem in the past in Battambang Provence.

We should head to the farm sometime soon. I will see if I can find out anything prior to going.

I have no idea

Well, I know they have hooves, utters, a tail, a head, two horns, and go, "Moooooo!". Otherwise, I know very little about a bovine.

• Like 1

andy

There certainly not the common white working bovine. Too small as well. But cute. :)

andy

[

Village Meats has some really good Australian beef, by the way.

Here in koh Kong there is excellent imported Aussie beef (via Thailand) like most imports. But I suppose you must believe in the seller! There is a western meat seller in Phnom Penh who supply's a restaurant here with quality Cambodian beef, that as matured for 30 day's. Difficult to tell the difference.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Well, sometime between 00:00 and 03:00 today, another calf was born. Since the previous calf, a male, was given away, we get to keep this one, a little female. 

Unfortunately, the original mama cow was recently was sold. She had cut her tongue and had to be fed by hand, due to not eating on her own. Even more unfortunate news was, she too was due soon. So, when this happened, we not only lost a cow, but a yet-to-be-born calf, as well. And, Chan's mom didn't want to buy another cow to replace it. Oh well. 

However, a bit more good news is, we have one more cow that is carrying a calf. 

Oh, back to the "give a calf, take a calf" deal. The next calf born of this same cow, will be given to the owner of the cow. Then, the cow will be ours to keep. So, any offspring from then on, will be ours. 

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      One of the cows just gave birth to a calf at the farm. So, we now have two calves. Only get to keep the first one, though. The one born in November. Here's why.

The first cow, and others at the farm, belong to us. All calves they birth will belong to us.

The second cow, however, belongs to someone else. This is some deal, from what I understand, where they allow a poorer farmer to look after the animal and to help them out. In this case, it is Chan's mom who is looking after the cow and any calves the cow produces.

The second cow will birth at least 3 calves, with the first and third going to the owner of the cow. The person looking after the cow, Chan's mama, pays all insemination fees. This will be about $10 USD, per calf to be born.

The first calf born belongs to whomever owns the cow. That calf milks for a year and is then weened. It is then turned over to the owners of the cow. The person then has the cow mated again.

The second calf belongs to the person looking after the cow. She can do as she wishes with the second calf - keep it, or sell it. This is repeated once again, with the third calf being turned over to the owner of the cow.

After this, the person looking after the cow is allowed to keep any further offspring from the cow, as well as the cow.

So, in short, someone gives a cow to a poorer farmer to look after. Two off spring, the first and third, are given to the owner. The farmer then gets a cow out of the deal.
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Okay, not what you thought. You see, it looks like mama cow is gonna be squeezin' out another one in about 9 or 10 months from now. She just recently went into heat and was mated. So, if it took, we will probably know for sure, by next month. This is the same mama that had a calf last November. Here is a link to the thread regarding that calf being born. Two more, hopefully, should come into heat before this calf is born. Looks like we may build our little herd up a bit faster than we thought. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.