What's worth visiting / doing in Burma?

andy

What's worth visiting

There is dicey eye :

Parrothead

There is dicey eye :

I'm looking things worthwhile, here. :D

phuketrichard

its an amazing country, just got back from a 10 day motorcycle trip thru the Western  Chin state.

http://phuket.zenfolio.com/f125862719

Been 5 times now in past 2+ years or so. Love it there..

PS: although Burma is poor, i have yet to see the same level of poverty i have seen in Cambodia.and i have been all over both countries.

Burma u can safely ( and inexpensively)  travel by Trains, Planes,Boats & Bus's, 

Cambodia ur basically limited to 3 flights ( sr-pp and shv), the bus's, one train PP-SHV and one boat SR-PP

• Like 1

dicey eye

Well I lived off and on in Myanmar for close to 4 yrs. I lived and worked in Yangon (2 yrs, 2009-2011), Mandalay (1 yr, 2015- 2016) and now Taunggyi (for 9 months) own and rode a motorcycle for the time I was in Mandalay and Taunggyi, drive all over weekends. I would say after the nearly 4 yrs I've worked and resided in Myanmar I experienced a lot there (even had a common law Myanmar wife when in Yangon for a yr and a half) and I emphatically prefer Cambodia to Myanmar. Hell, Myanmar is oppressive; once you've lived there a while you'll realize just how little personal freedom you have. Cambodia might have its faults but it is one free-wheeling, no-holds-barred kinda country. 

For those that prefer Myanmar to Cambodia I suggest you live and work in Myanmar for  4 yrs, then give us your evaluation.

dicey eye

There is dicey eye :

Dicey could give you a Red Light tour of Yangon, Mandalay, Taunggyi, Bago, Inle Lake (all of Nyaungshwe Township) and Panthein that would knock your socks off. That's if ya still have the urge.

• Like 1

phuketrichard

i was not talking about living there as a expat....nor did i say ANYTHING that  resembles that 

read what i said

As an expat I also would prefer Cambodia but prefer Thailand way over both

Plus, i bet i have seen far more of the Burma and Cambodia than you.

feck i first went to Burma in 88

first trip to Cambodia was 87

Edited by phuketrichard

dicey eye

Being a tourist is much different than living somewhere. Seeing some place as a transient and knowing a place through living there are two different beasts.

• Like 2