Parrothead

Give a calf, take a calf - end up with mama in the end.

andy

I see tons of young calves around the countryside.

I would agree with Bill. You would be unlikely to see the dead ones.

Parrothead

I would agree with Bill. You would be unlikely to see the dead ones.

LOL. I was referring to seeing so many that were healthy.

andy

I know this Paul. But agreeing with Bill. Going into the cattle farming you may have complications and losses. Farming can be rewarding and saddening in some respects.  

Parrothead

I know this Paul. But agreeing with Bill. Going into the cattle farming you may have complications and losses. Farming can be rewarding and saddening in some respects.  

Well, I'm not expecting to run a farm with zero losses. That's all part of it. Will just do the best we can. In a few years, I should be able to provide you all with good statistics.

• Like 1

Oz Jon

Just curious -

What does a cow with/without a calf cost?

How many cows per acre is reasonable?

Do you need more than just grass to feed them?

Hey! I'm an Engineer, not a farmer! - as you may have guessed!

andy

Do you believe in versatility :) 

Parrothead

Just curious -

What does a cow with/without a calf cost?

How many cows per acre is reasonable?

Do you need more than just grass to feed them?

Prices vary, depending on who & where you buy and sell. Calves can start at a few hundred USD's. Cows start at several hundred USD's. Bull's, being high maintenance, can cost thousands of dollars. At the moment, I see no reason to buy a bull, though. It only costs $10 USD to have them mated.

Not sure of the rule of thumb, but we keep feed for our cows. Currently, we have 5 cows. We let them feed each morning, for a few hours. After, they are moved to public land for the day, to graze. Before evening, they are brought back and fed in the barn.

We feed them rice stalks, and let them graze on grass & such.

andy

Not sure of the rule of thumb, but we keep feed for our cows. Currently, we have 5 cows. We let them feed each morning, for a few hours. After, they are moved to public land for the day, to graze. Before evening, they are brought back and fed in the barn.

It depends on the weight of the animal and the grass available for what period. Cows are relatively small here, and grass not perfect.

Possibly two cows per acer. But for how long? That's why the cows here are turned out, mostly the people don't have the land mass or crop. If they let them roam then they can use the land they have for crops like rice.  

• Like 1

Oz Jon

Do you believe in versatility :)

Yes Andy.

But more importantly I believe in "Conservation of Energy" - mine!

It struck me that a cow/calf would make a pretty good law mower on a big block and maybe, would be a lot less trouble to maintain than sheep/goats.

May even be profitable?

• Like 2