Parrothead

Beekeeping is becoming more popular in Cambodia

Bill H

Bee's are very cool unless you happen to be allergic to their venom, then not so much.

• Like 1

Parrothead

Bee's are very cool unless you happen to be allergic to their venom, then not so much.

Well, for sure, I ain't allergic to 'em. I'm glad I am not, because I loooooove honey. 

andy

I loooooove honey

Me too! Top class, excellent natural product.  

mollydooker

Well, for sure, I ain't allergic to 'em. I'm glad I am not, because I loooooove honey. 

I buy honey here in the supermarket and still have not found any bees in the jar !!...

• Like 2

jimmyboy

Hi guys, here is a little website on beekeeping I have just started.

Pretty comprehensive list of supplies, bees, and yes- we will be offering training soon with Yaroslav- pictured above - within weeks in fact.

I am going hell for leather to get it wrapped up so check out the "starting" link to see some of the pros and cons.

http://biologiccambodia.com

There is also a FB group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1700308436891922/

• Like 2

Parrothead

I'm about to have a shelter built at the farm, to have some hives.

andy

Why not! You have the land mass and expert advice from jimmyboy. For honey or explosive training :)

• Like 1

Parrothead

Why not! You have the land mass and expert advice from jimmyboy. For honey or explosive training :)

Actually, there are several guys who are getting into it, now. James has jumped in with both feet, and quite impressively, I may add. I was in hopes he would be a bit more active here, sharing some of his experience. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      A pretty good list of resources for Beekeeping:

Library - Beekeeping 1
      Library - Beekeeping 2
      Library Bee Journal (British)
      Library Bee Journal (American)

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Greetings:

I have been pretty sick for a while. Coughing my guts up, for the most part. Have been delayed in returning to the farm due to the crud that I have contracted. Chan was able to talk with our regular pharmacist, though, who is a godsend for us. Honestly, she should have been a doctor. She recommended the appropriate medication once again, to help me get rid of yet, another illness. I hope to be over this enough to travel to the farm this morning (past midnight here, currently).

Anyway, a little while back, I went ahead and moved forward regarding building our own wood ware, even though the table saw deal had fallen through. (For those who may not have read about it, I was issued a full refund from eBay.) I figured something would happen. And, it apparently has. I met a Khmer fellow who grew up in the US, having returned here about the time I came to Cambodia - back in 2012. He also happens to live not very far from the farm. He also happens to have a wood workshop, where we should be able to build the parts necessary for us to build our own hives and such. (I will try to get him involved in beekeeping, too.)

So, this too, is a godsend - and for two reasons.

Firstly, it has allowed me to meet a guy who is on the same page as me, but also lives near the farm. (Most of the foreigners I know, live within Battambang City limits.) Someone I can relate to on a westerner's level, and who understands what I am thinking about things. In short, someone I can damned talk with, to prevent me from going crazy at the farm. (I seem to recall a certain member, without mentioning any names, who said I wouldn't last six months at the farm. The odds just went more into my favor.)

Secondly, he and I can combine our resources and build things that may benefit us both, in our respective interests. It will be great to be able to work hands on, building my girls their own "bee housing".

Anyway, I had purchased a 3 horsepower compressor with a 50 Liters tank and two hose connections. I just have not taken the time to use it yet, because I am still lacking in some other tools. It seems as though, my new friend may have what I need, including the table saw. Anyway, here is the compressor and its respective accessories:

Brad nailer with 15mm, 20mm, & 30mm brads

Staple gun with 8mm staples.

Not sure how long the air guns will last. They were only $15 / $16 USD, each.

Not seen: 2 each - 9 meters length air hoses with quick disconnect couplings.
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      This is a video I shot on Monday morning, September 4th, just before 08:00 local time.

By moving the mother hive I split this nuc from, and putting the nuc in its place, this caused all the foraging bees to return to the nuc rather than to the mother hive. (I rang James (jimmyboy) to confirm what I needed to do at the time. I was fairly sure, but not 100%, as to what I needed to do with both hives after the split.)

Anyway, this video is from the following morning, after we had completed the split. They were bringing in resources as fast as they could, to that little nuc. Hopefully, I will be able to make another split very soon, from that same mother hive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.