Bill H

Attention members in Phnom Phen past and present...

Bill H

We are hanging out at a hotel here in PP while I let the jetlag abate and wife now thinks she might enjoy big city life for a bit.  For those of you who have been here or are here now, how was life here in the big city?  Are apartments hard to come by and is it one of those deals where if you have to ask, you can't afford the rent in PP?  Please do tell me what you think.

dicey eye

Every time I lived and worked in PP I found housing through word of mouth. Asking people I worked with primarily. Not to sound pessimistic but those realty firms are a rip off. Double or triple what you would pay using the grapevine. Do you know which area you hanker to live in? Area is very, very important.Nice abode in a crappy section is a bummer. 

Could start by asking the Barangs that hang out at Golden Sorya Mall. They are sure to be good guides pointing the way.

Unfortunately I've never known anyone finding decent housing via the numerous internet chat forums but who knows you could give it a shot.

Bill H

Did you like living there Andrew?

dicey eye

Absolutely NOT!!!! Last May early June I quit a gig as Head of an international school after a month and a half because I disliked it so much; and the pay sucked for the number of hours they expected me to put in. Every Friday Pip and I headed outta PP 'til Sunday night. Its the pits.

Filthy, crime ridden and crappy ambiance.

Was rather harsh. PP is a fun place to visit for 3 or 4 days every few months. I enjoy vacationing there. Living there is a whole other story. The cruelty and pervasive poverty gets depressing when staying there for an extended time.

Vacation there great - live there thumbs down..

Edited by dicey eye

Read2Learn

Filthy, crime ridden and crappy ambiance.

Vacation there great - live there thumbs down..

If it is all of those then how can a vacation there be great? 

dicey eye

If it is all of those then how can a vacation there be great?

Because when there a short time one doesn't notice the downside. Busy seeing the sights, malls, cinema, shopping, chatting with old time buddies, and new and exciting eateries. But once you're there a while the negatives that were hidden on the periphery of awareness become noticeable and assertive. It all sinks in.

But then that's merely one person's view. Others could possibly be thoroughly charmed by the hustle and bustle.

Just not this old geezer's cup of tea.

• Like 1

mollydooker

Ohhhh dicey .....then never ever think of visiting here in Manila .....you would be disgusted !!

• Like 1

dicey eye

I'm not a big city kind of guy. Small towns and villages are where I'm happy

Bill H

Ohhhh dicey .....then never ever think of visiting here in Manila .....you would be disgusted !!

Yes and so am I, but my wife likes it.  Flooded streets every time it rains, sitting in the center of Typhoon Alley, traffic jams from hell unless you travel at 3am, almost everything you buy is more expensive excepting clothes if you know how to find the clothing marts.  All that and more.  I'm with Dicey, I'm not a big city boy, never was, never will be.  The Army had me in WDC for over a year and I hated it there even though my work was fascinating.

jimmyboy

you can get a nice serviced apartment for 600 a month