jimmyboy

Beekeeping for beginners 1 day course april 1 Phnom Penh

jimmyboy

We will be holding our first introductory course for Bee Keeping April 1.The course will be held in Kien Svay, our mini bus leaves Longlin House, Street 19, corner of Street 172 8.30 AM and returns 4.30 PM.
Subjects covered include life cycle of the honey bee, suitable sites for bee hives, colony health, equipment, handling bees, harvesting honey, feeding bees, and simple ways to increase your stocks of bees.
Email jamesdumar@yahoo.com.au for more information and visit 
http://honey.river-host.com/
ad.jpg

dicey eye

Hope your buzz business-training draws mucho eager participants. Break a leg dude.  post-186-0-29165100-1488855499_thumb.jpg

andy

Likewise - Jimmyboy. All the best on your venture. Fascinating subject. 

Parrothead

I would like to meet you there, James, if you would send the particulars.

• Like 1

jimmyboy

check your FB PM Paul

jimmyboy

Hi,

I just wanted to remind you that the introduction to bee keeping course is this Saturday April 1.
We will leave from Longlin House on Street 19 corner of 172 street at 8.30 AM. Please arrive by 8.15- I will be there by the front desk to meet you.

There will be drinks for sale on site, but I suggest you bring some lunch along.

Here are some suggestions to make this training more enjoyable for all:
• Dress comfortably. Wear light-colored clothes. Bees don’t seem to like dark colors.
• Keep yourself and bee clothing laundered. Bees don’t like bad body odor. If you like to eat garlic, avoid indulging right before visiting bees.
• Don’t use perfume or hygiene products that smell “prettyâ€. Some hair gels attract bees.
• Bring your own water and food. It’s possible to purchase some food and water in the village but no guarantees of quantity, quality or distance you may need to go to find something.
• Prepare to be in the sun for periods of time. Sun lotion if not perfumed and a hat may be advised.
• Bring paper and pencil to take notes.
• There are limited chairs to sit on so consider bringing your own seat if the ground is not a viable option for you. 
• Be sure to remove your leather watchband before visiting your bees. They don’t like the smell of leather or wool (if you are crazy enough to wear wool in Cambodia), and these materials retain body odor. Removing any rings from your fingers also is a good idea. It isn’t that bees don’t like pretty jewelry. But in the rare event that you take a sting on your hand, you don’t want your fingers swelling up when you’re wearing a ring.

While around the bees:
• Don’t rush. Take your time and move calmly. Sudden movements are a no-no.
• Never swat at bees. Become accustomed to them crawling on your hands and clothing. They’re just exploring. Bees can be gently pushed aside if necessary.
• These bees are very gentle but if you are stung, apply a cold compress and take an antihistamine tablet (such as Benadryl). Antihistamine creams are also helpful. Using this technique alleviates the swelling, itching, and discomfort.

mollydooker

I was in Siem Reap walking in the city center when stung by a large Hornet on my finger right next to a shiny ring ....I am positive that the shine of the ring attracted his desire to attack !!

Took about a week to recover from the swelling in the hand ....

andy

We will be holding our first introductory course for Bee Keeping April 1.

How was the first course, and day go?

jimmyboy

Other than the giant downpour it went well. We had to leave the practical part of opening the hives to this weekend due to rain.

Over 20 attended, and several have ordered beehives and equipment.

Will try to do another one mid May.

• Like 3

andy

Congratulations James. I hope to read more updates on your worthy cause, and success.

• Like 1