Parrothead

Short term living quarters for the farm?

andy

the main reason I am trying to accomplish this now is, her parents aren't getting any younger. Chan wants to be able to spend time with both of them, as long as she can.

I can understand this! Khmers like to return there care. To get on the land fast and cheaply, you may consider this idea.

(I wish I had when building the house) my friend did this with his girl, on a more primitive scale, it kept the hotel costs at bay.

Get straight on with the house build, save time and money in the long run.

post-1230-0-37755600-1490012609_thumb.jpg

andy

Paul I know you are very good with your  planning and house design.

When I build my next project. I think I am going to use a metal fabricator to make the framework for my build. 

post-1230-0-74158100-1490015976_thumb.png

It would be quick to build housing with the skills of these workers, with materials in Cambodia, and assembled on site.

post-1230-0-84517100-1490015988.png

The first short term house maybe adequate for some family members when the main house is built.

post-1230-0-15277700-1490016024_thumb.png

This could be added too in later stages. It would be short term to long term. Would fancy this myself. :)   

• Like 2

Parrothead

I can understand this! Khmers like to return there care. To get on the land fast and cheaply, you may consider this idea.

Andy, you need to go back and see my first priority when it comes to housing - security. No way would I ever consider tent-like living, even temporarily, in any Third World Country. That wouldn't secure my computers, electronics, and certainly not my generators. A sea container will. Steel grates welded to the doors and windows. Secure entry locks on all doors. Steel plates will be added to the doors, to allow padlocks to be fixed for additional security. Whenever I am gone from my home, I don't want ANYONE going inside it.

Get straight on with the house build, save time and money in the long run.

I can't proceed with our home building construction for at least another year. We just dumped another 60 loads on the building site. If you recall, we needed to let that settle for at least two years, prior to building. January 17th, 2017, was one year.

To get on the land fast and cheaply, you may consider this idea.

I figure for $3,000 USD, we are getting on the land fast and cheaply, and with added security.

Parrothead

When I build my next project. I think I am going to use a metal fabricator to make the framework for my build.

I think that is a great idea, over wood frame. Will virtually last for ages. 

We chose that option as well. The frame to support the windows, doors and hard board walls, will be steel welded to the interior of the container.

Parrothead

Some readers and members may have visited! any comments or reviews?

I didn't even know about it, until now.

andy

I didn't even know about it, until now

Pity! It may have been worth a visit when you was in PP. I think I also posted about a good Khmer bar in KC, being made from containers.

Parrothead

Pity! It may have been worth a visit when you was in PP. I think I also posted about a good Khmer bar in KC, being made from containers.

I will be back pretty soon. Seems like we are going there fairly often, these days.

andy

This is worth a look at the type of container building, and also a consideration for a small build in Cambodia with all materials being available. 

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/homeandproperty/how-i-built-my-dream-home-for-just-a-few-thousand-bucks/ss-BBBK16L?ocid=spartandhp#image=1

I am not talking about it being mobile, but the concept of the build. Again with the price of timber, the frame could be fabricated in steel.

Then again if it was mobile, and the girlfriend had ideas to finish. At least you could relocate with your home :)      

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      This came up in another topic we were discussing before, regarding a house plan I would like to construct. 

First, let me preface this by using the word, "prepper". A lot of people associate nut jobs when you mention that word. For me, I would use something more suitable anyway, like "self-sustaining-separatist-farmer". LOL. Just kidding. Seriously, the word prepper doesn't mean the person is crazy. It means they have made appropriate decisions ahead of time, to help support themselves during the time of crisis.

It doesn't matter if the crisis is weather or war driven. It is still a time one needs to prepare for, just as you would when buying health insurance. You hope you will never need it. But, it is there in case you do.

For those who do not prepare, you are going to be in a world of shit if anything happens. Again, I am not talking anyone dropping an EMP on top of you. I am talking about completely natural occurrences in the weather, which could, almost literally, send countries back to the Dark Ages.

Onward.

I stay in contact with one of my siblings who still resides in my home town, Savannah, Georgia. In fact, he lives in the home where he and I grew up. Anyway, recently, a hurricane blew through, which left Savannah without lights for the better part of this past week (since last Friday, the 7th). His lights just happened to come back on about an hour or two ago, in fact. So, he went an entire week, seven days, without power, without fresh food stuffs, almost depleted of fresh water. His wife was fast enough to bottle prior to the storm hitting them. Had they gone much longer, he didn't know what he would have done. Do you want to be in that position? I don't. I won't be. 

WATER: A storm often causes flooding. This makes it perfect for bacteria to enter the water system of your city. The water becomes unsuitable to drink. If you have something to treat / filter it with, you may be good. However, my brother had no water filter / purifier. 

It doesn't take much to store water. According to some sources, you should store 1 gallon of water per day, per person. Pets, obviously would add to that. So, the bare minimum he should have kept on hand was 14 gallons, as there are only two in his household.

There are only two in our household as well. I will be storing significantly more than one gallon per day, though, I assure you. The smallest tank I currently have, is 1500 liters (~400 gallons). At a gallon per day for two people, that's a good supply of fresh water. At the farm, Chan has several thousand liters of water storage. I've lost count, honestly. Anyway, once we are at the farm full time, we will purchase large capacity water tanks, as we can. Each will serve different purposes.

ELECTRICITY: A small solar array, or a generator with fuel reserves, would allow you to have had power during an outage. A small Honda Inverter Generator can run on as little as 1 gallon of fuel per 24 hours. Store say, 30 gallons and you will be good for a while. Had he prepared more and purchased ahead of time, he could have had more food in his refrigerator (which would have been running on emergency power) and would have been in a much better position to weather out this event.

I have a number of solar panels, charge controllers, and other hardware to keep a solar array running / charging for some time. Perhaps not a huge system. But, will will have one that will provide well for our needs, and then some.

FOOD: A weeks worth of food goods is not really a lot to keep on hand. We keep that much regularly, here at home. In fact, in the US, we have tons of military surplus stores, where you can buy MREs (Meals Ready to Eat). Or, purchase them from stores online, like THIS ONE, that offer extended life MREs. These may be the same, or similar meals that our troops consume in the field. They come in cases of 12. But, the actual life expectancy of the MREs depends on the temperatures at which they are stored.

Image from ReadyMeal.com

Can goods have pretty long shelf lives, too. Not to mention, you can also raise animals to provide for your nutrition, as well.
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      I contacted the guy today, from the company that puts out this flier:

I thought I would share what I got from him, with you folks.   Here are some images he sent me of a 40 foot container he sells for $4,500 USD.                   
    • Strider167
      By Strider167
      What is the difference between Monocrystalline, Polycrystalline, and Thin Film Solar Panels?
      With all the different types of solar panels out there, it can be confusing determining which type of panel is best. Here is a brief rundown of the types:

Monocrystalline: A monocrystalline cell (AKA: Single Crystal Cell) is the most efficient of the available panel types. The type of silicon cell is determined by the process in which they are created. A silicon ingot is drawn slowly from a molten vat, using a process called the Czochralski method. This is what makes the silicon monocrystalline.  Without getting into too much chemistry, an almost perfect lattice is formed on the atomic level which allows the electrons to pass through with little or no interference, giving the mono cells the highest efficiency. Once the ingot is formed, it is sliced into a series of thin wafers which are the substrate of the solar cell.  Mono panels typically have an efficiency of 15-17%.  The highest of efficiency monocrystalline panels readily available to the public is about 20%. The main downside is due to the process of manufacturing the wafers, the cost can be expensive.

Polycrystalline: Similar to mono’s, polycrystalline cells are still made from silicon, but the process differs. Instead of the long, arduous, expensive process of creating a single crystal solar cell (where the ingot is drawn slowly from a vat), the molten silicon is poured into a cast and cooled with a seed crystal (a piece of crystalline material used to grow a larger crystal).  Unlike the mono atomic structure, the casting method doesnt create uniform lattices, hence bringing the overall efficiency down. Polycrystalline panels are typically 12-14% efficient.

Amorphous/Thin Film: Thin Film solar panels are the least efficient of the 3 types, coming in anywhere from 6-8%. The panels are made using a CVD process (chemical vapor deposition). The silicon is deposited typically on glass, however the atomic lattice structure is anything but organized. While this leads to better performance in low light and higher ambient temperatures, it also greatly reduces the cell efficiency.

So, you should always buy mono right? Am I wasting my money with lower efficiency panels?
      NO. This is the biggest misconception in the solar industry. $/watt is $/watt. That’s it.  While you may need almost twice the space for a thin film array to get the same wattage of a monocrystalline array, the cost per watt is what really matters

If I buy a 20,000W solar system, and i pay $1.00/watt for the panels, i am getting 20,000W of power for $20,000. It doesn’t matter if its thin film, mono, or poly. You are getting the exact same amount of power. The only difference will be the physical size of the array.

What would I recommend:
      Buy what works best for your situation. If you have the space and money is an issue, buy the best available deals out there right now. Really you’re paying for watts of power, that’s it.

I would also mention that thin film really should be lumped in its own category as its efficiency and cost is usually much lower than mono/poly. The difference between mono and poly in my opinion is negligible and can almost always be substituted for one another unless you are literally counting the millimeters and watts for your array. Thin film is ideal for low cost systems with no space limitations.

Keep the lights on
    • Strider167
      By Strider167
      Storage Batteries : the fuel tank of your solar power system

Without batteries to store energy you would only have power when the sun was shining or the generator was running. This tutorial describes the 4 basic types of batteries & provides some good tips on the care & feeding of your batteries to maximize their performance and life.

1)  RV or Marine type deep cycle batteries are basically for boats & campers and are suitable for only very small systems. They can be used but do not really have the capacity for continous service with many charge/discharge cycles for many years. Regular or Car type batteries should not be used at all because they cannot be discharged very much without internal damage. A very popular battery for small systems is the Golf Cart battery. They are somewhat more expensive than deep cycle recreational batteries but are probably the least expensive choice for a small system on a budget. (Also look at electric bike batteries)

Industrial strength : Flooded, Gel, and AGM sealed batteries

The next 3 types are the heavier industrial type batteries. They are all also considered Deep Cycle and are usually Lead Acid types with much thicker internal plates that can withstand many deep discharge cycles. These next 3 are all designed for alternative energy systems.

2) These are Lead acid batteries that have caps to add water. Many manufacturers make these types for Solar Energy use. Trojan, Surrette, and Deka are probably the most well known. They are reasonably priced and work well for many years. All flooded batteries release gas when charged and should not be used indoors. If installed in an enclosure, a venting system should be used to vent out the gases which can be explosive.

3) Not to be confused with maintenance free batteries, sealed gel batteries have no vents and will not release gas during the charging process like flooded batteries do. Venting is therefore not required and they can be used indoors. This is a big advantage because it allows the batteries to maintain a more constant temperature and perform better.

4) Absorbed Glass Mat batteries are in my opinion the best available for Solar Power use. A woven glass mat is used between the plates to hold the electrolyte. They are leak/spill proof, do not out gas when charging, and have superior performance. They have all the advantages of the sealed gel types and are higher quality, maintain voltage better, self discharge slower, and last longer. They are more expensive, but you usually get what you pay for. You will find this type of battery used in airplanes, hospitals, and remote telephone/cell tower installations.

Care and Feeding

As a technician, I used to say that if you are not comfortable, then neither is your equipment. I was mostly referring to temperature and humidity. In fact battery capacity ratings are usually specified at 77 degrees F or 25 degrees C. As batteries get colder their voltage drops and performance suffers. This is one major reason I prefer AGM batteries because they can be stored indoors where the temperatures vary less.

Another important thing to consider is how deeply you discharge your batteries. This is known as the DOD (depth of discharge). In other words, how low you let the voltage drop before the next charge cycle. Most battery ratings talk about 50% or so, but they will last longer if you keep them as charged as possible. I like the 80% range. Lead acid batteries like to be fully charged. They will last much longer if you do not discharge them too deeply. This is known as shallow cycling and greatly extends their life. However, they can withstand discharges down to 20% or so, but I wouldn't do it too often.

Next up is a post on Solar Panles.
      Keep the lights on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.