Parrothead

Algae floating on the pond.

Parrothead

I haven't had a look, but I am told there is a lot of algae growing on top of the pond we dug last year. Due to not really having a dry season over the past year, the pond has stayed pretty well full of water since that rainy season started. So, for a fairly cheap amount, I think I will have a go at fixing this problem. 

Locally, a tool store sells a 12vdc, 150 watts submersible pump. I'm going to take 2 - 100 watts, 12vdc panels, and connect them, in parallel, to this pump. It is rated to pump water up to 7 meters high. The pond is only 4 meters deep, at maximum depth. Connect a hose to it, connect the other end to a float - probably an inner tube, along with some sort of spray head that I can find, and I will have made myself a simple aerator. No batteries necessary. I will just let it pump during the day, from the time the sun provides enough energy for the panels to power it up, until the sun drops too low in the western sky. This should provide us with enough aeration for the pond to sort itself out.

The pump is $40.00 USD. The hose, inner tube and spray head shouldn't be more than another $10 to $15 USD, total. I have some spare panels I can use. 

I will start this project as soon as we have the roof and electrical connections sorted. 

I will let you folks know how this develops. 

mollydooker

If its a success you could then do the water at Boracay ...the Phils acclaimed no.1 tourist destination ....they have the same problem !!

• Like 1

andy

I will let you folks know how this develops.

Have you added your Tilapia to the pond Paul. How deep is the pond.

Parrothead

Have you added your Tilapia to the pond Paul. How deep is the pond.

Yes. 4 meters deep, by 10, by 12, currently.

Edited by Paul

syzmic

Have you considered ways to keep the Tilapia fry out of the pump intake?

I suspect they wouldn't like the experience of being aerated.  They may also be the best remedy for the algae problem.

• Like 2

Parrothead

Have you considered ways to keep the Tilapia fry out of the pump intake?

LOL. Yeah. Screen around a frame the pump sits in. The frame will also keep the pump off the floor of the pond.

They may also be the best remedy for the algae problem.

They haven't solved it yet.

• Like 1

Guest Kenny

It is rated to pump water up to 7 meters high

That  figure (head) usually refers to how hight above the surface it can lit water Paul, not from what depth.

Your pond could be 20 meters deep and that pump would still lift water 7 meters above the ponds surface.

andy

If the water pump is made in China, the figure's of height and depth of it's performance will relate to the novel "Alice in wonderland".  

• Like 1