Parrothead

Okay, because of Chan, and a reading something Andy said, we ended up going with all steel roofing rather than using wood. We were already at the place (ISI) to pick up the sheets of roofing. So, we decided to get prices on the steel for the roof support system.

Here is the break down: 

7 each - sheets roofing steel (corrugated), snow white color. 3.5 meters long x 1.10 meters wide. $12.95 each, $90.65 total

6 each - 40 x 40 x 1.50 x 6 m long, $7.695 each, $46.17 total

5 each - 40 x 80 x 1.50 x 6 m long, $12.433 each, $62.17 total

1 bag - mounting screws with rubber washers, $3.50 total

Transportation from ISI, Road 5 to the farm, $15.00 total

Total: $217.49 

Welding will run another $70.00 USD, for supports and to mount roof framing. (Welding & installation of trusses was completed on May 19th, 2017.)

So, we were able to get all the steel necessary to build the complete roof support structure, for less than the cost of the wood, alone. The wood would have cost $125 USD, by itself.

Edited by Paul
added date of welding completion.
  • Like 2

andy

It's only a fraction cheaper! And I suppose it also depends on what the quality of the timber you priced. Plus what the added cost of what you would have coated the timber with.  

Parrothead

It's only a fraction cheaper! And I suppose it also depends on what the quality of the timber you priced. Plus what the added cost of what you would have coated the timber with.  

The trusses were previously figured to be built from steel. The purlins were $46.17, which would replace the lumber. The wood, for the same purpose, not including painting, was $125. A difference of $78.83. A fraction?

andy

I was counting in the welder at $70. Will they paint the steel in with this price?

Parrothead

I was counting in the welder at $70. Will they paint the steel in with this price?

Honestly, I don't know. For $175 USD, I can buy an inverter welder, which also crossed my mind.

• Like 1

andy

Paul is the roofing similar, to the one I had put on the front of my bar. 

post-1230-0-18833000-1494826394_thumb.jpg

Parrothead

Paul is the roofing similar, to the one I had put on the front of my bar. 

Yeah. I will try to get some photos tomorrow.

Oz Jon

7 each - sheets roofing steel, snow white color. 3.5 meters long x 1.10 meters wide. $12,95 each, $90.65 total

Is that width right Paul?

.... seems surprisingly wide for corrugated sheets and less than $4/sqm ( I thought it was about $13/sqm?)

... (or is it flat sheet?)

Thanks for some updated building material prices.

Edited by Oz Jon

andy

Oz Jon I paid 12000rial = $3 per sheet 4meter x 980 for the house on the Mekong. Here at the Bar I had the roofing built, steelwork, welding and painting, and sheeted, by two men completed in 1/2 a day at the cost of $124.

Parrothead

Yeah. I will try to get some photos tomorrow.

Been under the weather. Didn't go today. Rescheduled for day after tomorrow (Thursday, the 18th).

Is that width right Paul?

.... seems surprisingly wide for corrugated sheets and less than $4/sqm ( I thought it was about $13/sqm?)

... (or is it flat sheet?)

Thanks for some updated building material prices.

That's what I was told, Jon. I will measure them when I go on Thursday. You can buy thinner / cheaper, per sheet. As Andy posted, $3 per sheet is available here as well. My price was for corrugated.

$13 was the cost, per square meter to build, by a company.

Oz Jon I paid 12000rial = $3 per sheet 4meter x 980 for the house on the Mekong. Here at the Bar I had the roofing built, steelwork, welding and painting, and sheeted, by two men completed in 1/2 a day at the cost of $124.

What was their charge, per square meter, to do the work?