Parrothead

Bit the bullet. Just bought a 10" (254mm) ...

Blackeye

I make do with the 7" my parents gave ... wait what?

Oh - well for table saws one main thing to look at is the table, with cast iron being (IMO) the best. 

• Like 1

andy

Maybe this is so, but in todays world plastic and aluminium take president. Being lighter, therefore being more moveable.

Blackeye

For 'contractor' (portable) models cast AL is decent, but for use in a shop I'll take cast iron any day if I can get it. They are still made and also still readily available used. Cast iron may rust away eventually but it's not going to wear out. 

Parrothead

For 'contractor' (portable) models cast AL is decent, but for use in a shop I'll take cast iron any day if I can get it. They are still made and also still readily available used. Cast iron may rust away eventually but it's not going to wear out. 

I'm not sure what material the table sections are. But, I should be able to tell you in a month.

• Like 1

Blackeye

I'm not sure what material the table sections are. But, I should be able to tell you in a month.

To be honest most of the old cast iron ones are probably overbuilt, from the days where some old craftsman would keep that old girl running for his entire career and then hand the saw (complete with 3rd fence setup and so on) off to the next owner. The new contractor ones are really good for a normal person's lifetime and are nicer to move around. On the other hand my BiL is an actual contractor and he does wear those out every so often. But it's his actual work to use tools like that,and he brings them out to the job sites. 

• Like 1

andy

To be honest most of the old cast iron ones are probably overbuilt

I remember the delivery of an old cast iron lathe to my friends, it came on a truck with a hi-hab. Once off the truck we positioned it in his workshop. One trolley jack and 5 men.

Look at this site for up to date machines -

http://www.jmjwood.co.uk/  

Bill H

As a boat builder, I've used one a time or three.  As with many things, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  With table saws, it's all about what you're going to cut.  If you are making furniture, they can't be beat, because a good one will give you very accurate cuts.  However, cutting plywood sheets with one is about equal art and science and difficult at best.  For plywood, get a panel saw and save yourself a log of grief.  Look online for jigs for table saws.  A good jig will save the day and maybe your fingers too.  Mostly you build your own, which is time-consuming, but if you are doing many repetitive cuts you can't beat a good jig.  The only place those light weight portable saws are worth a hoot is in home building (if you're building cheap homes).  Beyond that, I wouldn't use one as they just don't have the power you need or the accuracy.

Nothing beats a cast iron saw.  They weigh hundreds of pounds, but you can't beat them for the accuracy of their cuts.  If mobility is your thing, put a set of caster wheels on them and you can roll them all over the shop.

The other saw to consider is a radial arm saw.  Much more dangerous since the blade is above the work table, but handy in some applications.  Grizzly.com is my favorite go to place for power tools.  Good prices, generally good quality.  Also, a good 12" chop saw is a very handy tool for cutting larger sizes of woods, like 4x4 and 4x6.  You can get very accurate cuts with one if you set it up right, but like the radial arm saw, the blade is on the top so you MUST be mindful of your fingers!

http://www.grizzly.com/tablesaws

• Like 1

Parrothead

Also, a good 12" chop saw is a very handy tool for cutting larger sizes of woods, like 4x4 and 4x6.  You can get very accurate cuts with one if you set it up right, but like the radial arm saw, the blade is on the top so you MUST be mindful of your fingers!

I have a 14" chop saw. Mostly for cutting steel. I do have a wood blade, though, if ever needed.

Blackeye

Well I have to shop for a 12 incher now I guess

Parrothead

Beginning to wonder if they are going to ship the saw.