andy

Farm Progress

Parrothead

Right Paul.

The path from the Barber's shop looks pretty good, with no near-end obstructions. Much the same as the one we looked at before. At 5km, a bit shorter or longer path length makes very little difference (maybe 1dB).

I'd keep the antenna height at the barbers end low (just clearing line-of-sight, 12-15ft maybe?) and make provision for up to 30ft at the farm.

You could probably get away with less than 30ft antenna height at the farm, maybe 25ft or so.

30ft capability is easy to get at the farm, with something as cheap/simple as a bamboo pole.#

It doesn't need to be very stiff because the CPE's antennas have quite a big beamwidth and can tolerate a bit of deflection.

Good luck with it all Paul.

Let me know how it goes and feel free to ask my advice, if some problem crops up

Cheers

# maybe 3x30ft poles, lashed together at the top, 3ft triangular base spread? - quite stiff and climbable.

As long as the CPE-510 is above the tree line, I think we will be okay. 

And, I agree with your point, they broadcast a pretty wide path, both horizontally and vertically. 

Parrothead

I'm not at all clear about what happens at the source-end.

Is the data input to the barber's-end CPE hard wired? 

Or do you need to pick it up (by WiFi?) from a tower 700m away?

Is that why the WiFi router (with higher gain antennas) is needed?

If so, assuming router normal range of 10m is correct, for 700m range you will need 20*log(700/10) = 37dB of additional router antenna gain.

Maybe the

35DBI 3G 4G LTE TS9 Antenna HUAWEI

Will just do the job? .... A bit marginal at 2dB short! .....The other 2 antenna prospects certainly will not do 700m.

You need to check that 10m normal range and 700m tower distance are both correct.

I apologize. I think I may have confused the issue here. I am talking two different ways, in order to secure my internet connection. So that everyone is on the same page, and in hopes of not confusing readers any further, let me see if I can explain something a bit better.

One unit is a single WiFi SIM card router, a HUAWEI E5573s-856, which can be held in the palm of your hand. It is a small unit that uses an internal rechargeable battery (by USB charger), and a SIM card, that will receive a signal from some distance - up to several kilometers away, broadcast from a cell tower. It then rebroadcasts that signal, in the form (frequency range) of WiFi, so local devices within 10 meters can log on, just as they would if connected to any other WiFi router. This particular unit, though, is limited to four (4) devices simultaneously connected. Bandwidth is limited by the size data credit package you purchase, in order to load the SIM card. Typically, this would be in the form of a 4 to 6 Megabits package. Once the data credit has been consumed, the SIM will have to be removed from the device and reloaded with data credit again. 

The other, and my primary choice way to connect internet at the farm, would be via my two CPE-510s. They are significantly larger than the HUAWEI E5573s-856, each about 22cm long. One would be mounted to a pole above the tree line, and hardwired by way of CAT 5e or CAT 6 Ethernet cables, to my modem / router. Metfone, my internet provider, would supply the ADSL line at one of the locations just off the highway. (Hopefully, the locations in question would either be at the barbershop, or at the home of the barber.) The CPE-510s are powered by way of POE (Power Over Ethernet), which, basically is using two of the wires within the Ethernet cable to carry a DC voltage signal from a power point, to the unit on the pole. My modem / router would be connected to Metfone's ADSL line, by way of an R11 phone jack.

The other CPE-510 would be mounted on another pole, which would be located at the farm. It would be hardwired the same way the first one would be, via Ethernet cable. Each of these units would be pointed toward each other, or directed toward each other as close as possible, so they would transmit and receive the best signal available, to each other. My local WiFi router at the farm, would then be able to broadcast a wide signal, certainly much wider and stronger, than the WiFi signal from the HUAWEI E5573s-856 would be able to broadcast. Not to mention, I would not be limited to the number of simultaneously connected devices, either. 

Parrothead
.A classic case of  "trust me - I'm a salesman" ? ......... Lol!

Like you, I figure the salesman doesn't know his product. Here is what I got off www.newegg.com, a company in the US, that sells tons of current electronics.

Huawei E5573s-856 4G Mobile Hotspot Technical Specifications:

4G LTE Netwrok Frequency: TDD 2300/2500MHz(B40/B41),FDD 1800/2100MHz(B3/B1)

* 3G UMTS/DC-HSPA+: 900/2100MHz
* 2G GSM/EDGE/GPRS: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
* LTE Download speed to 150Mbps and Upload speed to 50mbps
* Support up to 10 users to access internet
* Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
* 2 X 2 MIMO, WiFi 2.4G/5G, WiFi offload
* 1500mAh battery, up to 4 hours working time
* Compatible with Windows, Mac OS
Size:96.8mm x 58mm x 12.8mm

Packaging includes
1x E5573s-856
1x Battery: 1500mAh
1x Power adapter
1x USB cable

That is probably about the same specs as the ones sold here. 

JohnOBohn

How is the Chicken Farm doing?    The Farm in Snooky is no more.    Their customers are seeking a new place to go.

Seriously,  you selling friers, eggs??   Have surplus to feed all the family???

Parrothead

How is the Chicken Farm doing?    The Farm in Snooky is no more.    Their customers are seeking a new place to go.

Seriously,  you selling friers, eggs??   Have surplus to feed all the family???

What happened to the chicken farm at the port, John?

I don't feed the family. Her mom has her own chickens and ducks. Her sister, too. Her mom and sister have cows that stay in our barn. Otherwise, I did buy a bunch of stock from her mom, about $1.00 USD per bird. And, I built her mom another chicken house. But, her family carries their on weight.

After they failed to ring us back, I called them today, oh, about 3:15pm. You are NOT going to believe what they wanted to rent that piece of property for! $400 USD PER MONTH! I told the gal I could rent an entire home WITH property on it, for $120 to $150 US! She immediately went down to $200, and I bid her good day. They know I am a foreigner, but also must think I'm a feckin' idiot as well.

The people who own the land the bees are on, came by today. I was taking a nap. They asked Chan why I didn't want to rent their land. LOL. How about, because they are out of their fecking minds?

JohnOBohn

Police crackdown.   Properties being re-purposed.   Sex trade moved mostly to the beachs.   This town is growing and not in a good way for most part.

The Chinese invasion is killing Snooky.     Mostly on-line gambling places.   They rent entire buidings for the gambling.    Many more Chinese tourists.     3 friends have been literally thrown out of their apartments as the chinese rent the entire apartment building.

Rents are raising at an unbelieveable rate.Another 2 or 3 yrs max I think will be the end of the basic white western tourist industry her.   Backpackers will have no place to stay they can afford.

I am not being racist about the ""white westerner comment"" as most of them are.

I did not see the  ""Chinese invasion"" coming when I decided to settle here 5 yrs ago.

andy

I agree with you John. We was there recently and stayed with one of my friends houses, he is also wondering what to do since he owns property with his lady and kids.

Also my other friend up on the hill was approached buy the  Chinese to rent them the entire hotel. But the Chinese lie, rent short time and ruin the properties.

mollydooker

Asians in general have no idea of maintenance and respect to both property and people !!!

JohnOBohn

If the property is hard titled in his wifes name he has zero worries.   Unless they split up.

andy

If the property is hard titled in his wifes name he has zero worries.   Unless they split up.

No John what I was saying! he and his wife are considering relocating due to the change in Shitvilla.