Blackeye

Transfast: We phish our own customers

Blackeye

So if you're like me you sometimes have to send some funding overseas to friends or family. I've done it many ways, but in the recent past my service of choice, RemitHome, was consumed by transfast. The new outfit seemed not as good, but the rate was fine and they had no obvious issues so I let inertia rule and continued to use them. Until yesterday.

Raise your hand if you know what a phishing scam looks like.

I went to log in yesterday, and a page that said "we have sent you an email" opened, and I couldn't access the site. The email asked me to click a magic link and then the resulting page started off by asking for my login creds and then bank and credit card info. Does this sound at all familiar? This is precisely what a phishing scam would look like. But they are doing it to their own customers. Is it legit? I believe so. Is it a sign they don't take security seriously? In my opinion, absolutely yes. 

I'll never use them again, and I'd urge anyone here who uses them to consider their options. 

• Like 4

luvthai2003

Blackeye, I get those all the time. They try using my bank (Chase), Amazon account, Yahoo, YouTube, et al. I'm assuming Africans from Nigeria and other countries in Africa, or from Russians. My assumptions are based on the type of poor English being used.

Oz Jon

......But they are doing it to their own customers. Is it legit? I believe so. Is it a sign they don't take security seriously? In my opinion, absolutely yes......

Probably, Transfast had nothing to do with that scam attempt? - just that the scammer managed to get into their communications?

As luvthai has pointed out, this kind of stuff shows-up on many other websites too.

I've seen a few similar ones myself.

I suggest that you send a copy of the scam message to Transfast's "Security Department", so that they know what is happening and maybe can do something about it

Cheers

• Like 1

Blackeye

Probably, Transfast had nothing to do with that scam attempt? - just that the scammer managed to get into their communications?

As luvthai has pointed out, this kind of stuff shows-up on many other websites too.

I've seen a few similar ones myself.

I suggest that you send a copy of the scam message to Transfast's "Security Department", so that they know what is happening and maybe can do something about it

Cheers

I contacted them - the 'Transfast account security team' representative argued that since the email directed customers to their legit portal it was all good. Complete fail. 

It's them, and they appear clueless to me. 

CLV

• Like 2

luvthai2003

When in any little bit of doubt, I type the site address into the url, or I open up the app, if available. It's a bloody cat and mouse game with these idiots.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Oz Jon
      By Oz Jon
      The end of 2018 is in sight.

Financially it hasn't been a great year

(I think I know who to thank for much of that, but let's keep US politics out of it! - Lol!)

Looking at the world's biggest financial market measured by the US NASDAQ and S&P 500 indices (most of the other world markets have followed the US market trend)
      The NASDAQ is down from about 7K to 6.6k ( -8%) and the S&P500 about the same (-8%) from about 2.7K to 2.5K.

In a longer term view, that's not exceptional, Dips that size happen every few years, but in the longer term both indices (markets)  just keep on rising at 10% pa or better.

Lots of good people running good businesses, providing the goods and services that people want.
      Sure there are business exceptions, but on average, that's the result.

On the other hand, anyone who bought (I hesitate to say invested in) Bitcoin is looking at a dip of 15K to 4K (-74%) ...... or ignoring the early exceptional early-year peak, from about 10K to 4K,  a mere -60%!

There is probably a good  lesson to be learned here? ...  Bitcoins, etc are  products priced entirely on market sentiment! ... no substantial asset or service backing to define a real value!

Whatever,  Have a good New Year!

Cheers!
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Money.

While in the cities, larger USD notes are commonly used, in the smaller provincial villages, like where we are in the province, Riel is king. You can't take a $50 USD or $100 USD note, and just break it anywhere here. Provincial shop keepers simply don't keep that kind of money on hand. 

What works best for us is, while in the city, Chan changes money into 10,000r notes and brings them to the farm. The specific amount to change has varied, depending on how long we would stay here at the farm. Now that things are more suitable to my style of living (READ: living in comfort), we stay here much more than before. In fact, after a short visit to the city (BTB) in early June to pay bills and shop, we will be back here for the duration of the month. Then, we will repeat that again the following month.

• Rukai
      By Rukai
      In short, does anyone know how to make money online without thousands and thousands of people already doing it. Any advice from anybody who is already doing it. Please don't say, you can fill out surveys to make money.
    • TorJay
      By TorJay
      Thousands fall for Korean work scam Mon, 9 September 2013 Sen David  

Alleged ringleaders of an overseas employment scam the Ministry of Labour says bilked thousands of clients out of money were charged with fraud in Phnom Penh on Friday.   Oun Sarath, 30, and Kim Sophat, 29, the director and marketing manager, respectively, of recruiting firm You Can Win Co Ltd, allegedly charged their clients $100 for forms the company advertised would permit them to legally work in South Korea, said Than Thavorak, an attorney representing the Ministry of Labour.

But the illegitimate forms the company sold were not authorised by the ministry, and provided clients no legal permission to work abroad.

Read more:  http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/thousands-fall-korean-work-scam

• Guest Kenny
      By Guest Kenny
      First up,I'm talking about Australia so you need to adjust my method to suit your base country.
      Second, It's how I do it, and it's worked for me for many years, saved my hide a few times too.

Get two bank accounts that for preference have no monthly fees.
      I use ANZ and NAB in Oz, neither charge a service fee.
      Open two accounts with both banks and have them issue a Debit Visa card on the first of those accounts. (NAB actually give me 5% on the second account)
      Organise internet banking for both banks and each account.
      Just by the way, ring the banks before you leave an tell them you will be travelling and roughly where. Visas computer can shut an account down if your Melbourne Visa card suddenly shows up in Manilla.

OK, so, as an example, lets say you have $10,000
      Put $500 in the first bank account 1 and $4,500 in first bank account 2
      Do the same with the second bank.
      Make sure you record securely the BSB and Account numbers of those accounts.
      Not necessarily part of travel but I personally have one of my accounts linked to Pay Pal as there are more and more mail order deals popping up.

IMPORTANT: When wandering about a town keep your Visa cards separate.
      Carry one and leave the other in the hotel for instance.
      When travelling keep one in your wallet and the other in your bag.

The end result? If you lose a card, have it stolen or an ATM gobbles it up, you can fall back on the second card.
      If your card and or password is somehow compromised, all they get is $500, which you should get back (eventually) from Visa.
      As the $500 drops low you can jump on the internet and do a transfer.
      Internet transfers can be between accounts and/or between banks.
      When it's between your accounts, the transfer is immediate. Between banks, maybe 2 days.
      So there you are, sounds complicated but in fact it's easy to set up and easy to work with.

Please feel free to add to these few ideas. Most of us have travelled around a bit and learned a few tricks so share them guys.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.