Parrothead

Current Beekeeping Expenditures

Parrothead

Here are my current costs:

So far, I have just under $900 USD invested in my bees. This includes 2 hive stands, 2 colonies of bees, all wood ware, including 12 deep hive bodies, 4 inner covers, 2 outer covers, 2 screened and 2 solid bottom boards, 2 entrance reducers, 90 frames - all with a minimum of wax sheets, 35 with drawn comb, 2 frame feeders, 10 bottle (chicken) feeders, 4 boardman style feeders, 2 mini (mating) nucs from Simon The Beekeeper (UK), 20 frame separators (to space 9 frames equally apart in supers), 5 veils, 1 smoker with smoker fuel, 2 pairs of gloves, 16 metal entrance gates (for 5 frame nucs I will construct), 2 frame holders, 4 queen excluders, 3 bee brushes, and 40 queen cages.

The majority of items, aside from the wood ware, were purchased off eBay.com. All wood ware was purchased in Cambodia.

The total includes $30 USD for wood and $7.50 USD for shade cloth, to build the cover over the bees.

2017-08-14 16.10.26.jpg

andy

Hope it all works out good Paul :)

Parrothead

Hope it all works out good Paul :)

So far, pretty well, Andy.

• Like 1

mollydooker

Beekeeping ....Thats swell !!....think about it !!

• Like 1

JohnOBohn

USD$900 for 2 hives and colonies.    What is the expected ROI????   60 yrs

Parrothead

USD$900 for 2 hives and colonies.    What is the expected ROI????   60 yrs

Again, I did not do this to turn over anything. I did it because I wanted to add another "basket" of eggs for us to invest in, for self-sustainability. In fact, everything I have done at the farm, is primarily for our future. Not to mention, the largest part of that investment, I don't have to buy again. In fact, right off, I can't think of any of it that will have to be purchased again. All I have to do now, is to either buy more bee colonies, OR, split my own colonies and make my own queens. 

With that said, everyone I talk with, wants to "buy honey" from us, when we have a harvest. So, I suppose, if Chan wanted to, she could turn this into a business. Not so sure I care about doing so, though. I'm happy just providing for us. We could use it to barter, as well, with others.