Parrothead

Boy! Did WE time it right! "No more long term visas..."

andy

I look at it like this - it's been easy for years to avoid. Even the officals have been easy going.

But you have your EB visa renewed before the date requiring the work permit. So you don't have to worry for a year.

If the immigration were to fine for the past years without, I have seen it with others at $100 to $125 per year.

• Like 1

Parrothead

So you don't have to worry for a year.

Fair enough. Maybe, possibly, perhaps, if they have it more organized by then, we can see how the whole visa issue goes - by next August. 

• Like 1

andy

I believe changes are coming. It must do for the country to develop. But still it is early days and a very long way to go. 

• Like 1

Parrothead

I believe changes are coming. It must do for the country to develop. But still it is early days and a very long way to go. 

I just hope those changes are positive for the country and its visitors / resident aliens, not all fecked up like Thailand's visa requirements are. 

• Like 1

John_Galt

But its not the end of the world. I told you my work permit was $135. Work out the cost per day for the year. You could take a boys trip to PP and eat, drink and f@uk that up in one day.

Did you get your work permit because you have a business in your name?

What was the bureaucratic cost to set up the business?

andy

I did get the work permit in my name because yes, the business licence is solely in my name.

You need a licence here in KK for what you do, like for my use, one for the bar, and another if you rent motos. If you put a billboard outside you need a licence for that too. It varies in price for what the licence is for, it also varies in each province.

I could put the business in the girls name but I would have to hold the relevant visa. I could still hold the EB visa if the girl employs me, then I would still have to get a work permit. Or I could get a ER visa, but until a few months I have no proof of pension income if it is required, but has that is now I maybe under the age requirement.

This visa change is in its early stages and needs time to be clear. 

John_Galt

This visa change is in its early stages and needs time to be clear. 

Definitely, noone really knows what is going on yet other than they are going to start enforcing it. 

andy

Government confirms foreigners will need work permits for long-term visas

Tue, 29 August 2017

An Immigration Department official yesterday confirmed that foreigners requesting a long-term extension of their business visas would need to produce a work permit, with implementation of the rule starting September 4.

Ouk Sophal, deputy chief in charge of visa extensions, said foreigners would need work permits for business visa extensions of six months or one year, but that the rule would apply only from the second extension onwards.

“After the first arrival, you can have the next extension without a work permit, for six months or a year,†he said.

For those with work permits currently being processed, Sophal said a receipt proving the application would be enough to get an extension.

He added that the department was considering allowing those without a permit to produce a letter apologising for the oversight and indicating their current employer’s address.

Officials would then check if the individual had applied for a work permit upon their next visa renewal. “If not, they might have a real problem,†he said.

Sophal said he was not sure if the rule applied to visas other than business visas and directed questions to the Foreign Ministry, which could not be reached yesterday.

Hong Vicheta, of Cina Travel agency, said he was unclear on the new requirements but had heard that a letter of employment would be required.

PP Post

Edited by Paul
Added quote tag

Parrothead

Here is what Cambodia Daily had to say.

Gov’t Says New Visa Renewal Requirements May Be Delayed

BY JANELLE RETKA | AUGUST 29, 2017

The enforcement of a new regulation that would require companies to vouch for foreign employees seeking to renew their long-term visas may be postponed beyond the start of next month, pending discussions among immigration officials this week, an official said on Monday.

“For now, it’s not a work permit. It’s just a letter from a company that they are working with you,” said Sok Veasna, director of the Interior Ministry’s foreign non-immigrants department, of the changes to six-month and one-year visa extension requirements, which visa agencies began hearing about last week and were initially thought to begin being implemented on September 1.

“We’re thinking to extend [the implementation date] beyond September 1, because if this is enforced right away there is a lot of people who need to be getting this letter,” he said, adding that the start date will be determined this week. “So maybe give some more time.”

While the new regulations require that a Cambodia-registered company prepare the letter of employment, Mr. Veasna said, there could be exceptions.

“If this case happens in Cambodia—and most likely we do believe [it will], as freelancers or contractors do come to Cambodia—we need to get information for them as well” in the form of a letter from an overseas company, he said. “So mostly we’ll deal case by case.”

The government would need to amend laws if it were to require work permits for visa applications, Mr. Veasna said, as such a requirement is not currently listed in the pertinent visa sub-decree.

The changes to the current visa system are the first steps that steer Cambodia away from having among the most lax entry requirements in the region. Analysts say the new regulations are unlikely to affect foreign business investment, but that contract and freelance workers are among the most likely to feel the change.

Oz Jon

Well, as I understand things, it seems that "the good old days" of living/retiring in SE Asia (on an overseas pension or other retirement income) with easy documentation requirements, are just about over.

Thailand is a pain-in-the-arse with the need for leaving the country frequently to effectively extend a visa.

The Philppines isn't too bad, but expensive and time consuming. Plus, right now, martial law and extra-judicial killings aren't great attractions.

Now Cambodia (which had very attractive visa arrangements) now wants to get rid of it's competitive advantage.

Of course the whole topic is riddled with confusion by recipients and the bureaucracy - nothing new with that situation - one of the joys of the region!

The definitions of "working" that they apparently have (even doing voluntary work to help others) is a ridiculous bit of bureaucracy 

I get the impression that these countries really don't want people to retire and spend their money in their countries.

They want foreigner's money, but not the foreigners?  I'm rapidly losing interest in SE Asia as a part-time retirement destination.

Edited by Oz Jon