dicey eye

PoiPet - A Depressing Place to Live

dicey eye

PoiPet impressions

Last nine yrs lived all over Cambodia: SHV, PP, Kampot and BTB. Moved to PoiPet a month ago for work.

The previous four places I resided in Cambodia were by and large pleasant experiences. They all had their ups and downs. Mostly ups. Though I’m not very fussy when it comes to lodging – never hankered for western amenities and simply put went native as in no air con or no refrig.

Now PoiPet is an entirely different ballgame. Naturally I heard many rumors that PoiPet was rather crappy, but I’m so adaptable I assumed I could function in any environment. Wrong! PoiPet is a filthy, insufferable place. Besides being dirty, dusty, muddy and way over congested, PoiPet has an evil aura. It’s an illogical place where even the basic necessities are difficult to acquire. For example it took my wife (who is Cambodian) and I over an hour driving all over town to purchase one kitchen knife.  A fecking hour!!!! Mind boggling but true.

Straightforward things take on a weird live of their own. Only been in PoiPet a month and am ready to quit my job and skedaddle. It’s a shit-hole with no redeeming qualities.

Be forewarned – not a nice place to be.

• Like 3

andy

I have only crossed the boarder there, I actually thought that was all of PoiPet. Until recently I have learned different, but never visited.

Cambodia is a country lacking some items, you tend to improvise and make do! But a Knife is essential, and no alternatives.

Try looking for a rolling pin :)  

• Like 1

Parrothead

Dang. Sorry to hear you are having such a time there. 

dicey eye

To be fair, there is another member on this forum that worked in PoiPet for 3 months - no longer works there but he told me his experience in PoiPet was quite pleasant - says he prefers PoiPet to BTB. So different strokes for different folks.

Though as another example of the rigamarole that I have to go through to get something common like a razor to shave - I've asked four teachers where to purchase one - nobody knew. Stopped by 5 shops in the neighborhood and nothing.

The razor quest is getting annoying.

andy

Not to worry dicey only a few months and you can be school Santa :)  

• Like 2

Parrothead

To be fair, there is another member on this forum that worked in PoiPet for 3 months - no longer works there but he told me his experience in PoiPet was quite pleasant - says he prefers PoiPet to BTB. So different strokes for different folks.

Though as another example of the rigamarole that I have to go through to get something common like a razor to shave - I've asked four teachers where to purchase one - nobody knew. Stopped by 5 shops in the neighborhood and nothing.

The razor quest is getting annoying.

If I may ask, what made PoiPet so attractive? They pay more money than Battambang?

dicey eye

More money and shorter hrs. $400 more per month and half the teaching hrs

A week after I signed the contract I found out that the BTB branch of the school was looking to fill the same position. Called admin about a shift and they more or less said - no way. Complete the contract in PoiPet, then shift.

• Like 1

dicey eye

Not to worry dicey only a few months and you can be school Santa :)

post-186-0-20412300-1507000608_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Parrothead

Called admin about a shift and they more or less said - no way. Complete the contract in PoiPet, then shift.

The proverbial rock and hard place?

Oz Jon

Sorry to read of your troubles.

But, from what i have read from you - I figure that you are a survivor!

You will overcome!

Hang in there

Cheers