andy

Axe Falls

Parrothead

It probably should read, "Axe falls on endless Business Visa extensions."

Also not affected by the new rules is Cambodia’s new ER (retirement) visa, or the EG (general) visa, both of which prohibit employment.

JohnOBohn

Seen an article this morning purportedly from the government, and it did look like it might be an official announcement.   Stated basicly that the ER - retirement visa people have NO changes at all.

The "new"?? EG visa seems to be for people that do not qualify/want the retirement visa.   People wirth either of these visas CANNOT legally work in Cambodia

In my opinion they seem to be going after the thousands of foreigners illegaly working here and not paying correct visa, work, permit fees and income tax.

Personally, no problem with me.     If you refused to pay taxes in your country you would go to jail.

A lot of expats think this is all directed at them.   Wow, lots of ego there.   How self important are you???

The new regulations are for the many thousands of Thais, Chinese, Vietnamese, Laos woking here iiollegaly and not paying taxes.

We from first world countries are swept up in it.     Though I do know manuy who work and do not pay taxes which makes them illegal also and reflects very badly on all the law abiding expats.

• Like 2

andy

It also looks like the EG visa would be limited, or maybe finished, but let us wait and see.

It probably should read, "Axe falls on endless Business Visa extensions."

This is for sure! This visa for many has been misused.

andy

We from first world countries are swept up in it. Though I do know manuy who work and do not pay taxes which makes them illegal also and reflects very badly on all the law abiding expats.

So what will be the outcome? Will this effect the working western law abiding expats?

Getting all the paperwork for the business is an endless task with so many changers to the uncertain system.

And don't forget that the Barang business is mostly catering for the expat or visitor, relying on their trade. Most Khmer have no interest.

Teachers on the other hand are mostly educating Khmers.

Is there a future, or is the country going the same difficult way has the neighbours for long stay westerners. 

Parrothead

The "new"?? EG visa seems to be for people that do not qualify/want the retirement visa.   People wirth either of these visas CANNOT legally work in Cambodia

Supposedly, this visa is for those who are in search of work, and is valid for up to one year. To date, I have not met anyone, or even spoken with anyone who has been issued one of these visas.

Parrothead

The new regulations are for the many thousands of Thais, Chinese, Vietnamese, Laos woking here iiollegaly and not paying taxes.

Some how, Vietnamese are getting around having a visa here. Some cell services here are Vietnamese owned. I have seen some workers who are Vietnamese, working here. They have no visa. Didn't even bring their passports with them, apparently! 

Oz Jon

It appears that the "good-old-days" of extending Cambodian business visas is just about over so,

As a matter of curiosity:-

If someone wants to retire 6 mo on/6mo off in Cambodia,

has overseas income sufficient to support their Cambodian stays, but doesn't want bureaucratic checking of their income

and doesn't want to do paid work in Cambodia (but maybe plans to help some locals with a bit of voluntary labour/expertise)....

[is voluntary work regarded as "work"? - it is in some countries]

What (if any) is the right visa process? - keeping things flexible and simple?

Or should he forget Cambodia and go somewhere else?

Edited by Oz Jon

Parrothead
[is voluntary work regarded as "work"? - it is in some countries]

No idea.

What (if any) is the right visa process? - keeping things flexible and simple?

Or should he forget Cambodia and go somewhere else?

It is no easier anywhere else. It is no cheaper anywhere else. This is THE country, if you want cheap & easy visas, with as few problems as possible I've never been inside the Immigration office in Phnom Penh. Just get an ER visa like I did. Renew for 1 year, leave after six months, return just before it expires (two weeks) and apply again. Simple.

• Like 2