andy

Axe Falls

andy

You know, Richard said Cambodia would end up with immigration visas like Thailand.

To quote, I think Richard is right. That is the way it is going. But it will take time. Infrastructures and educated people, plus money. 

andy

Vietnam visas are not very American friendly especially if you want to live there long term

I haven't spoken with some guys I know who are living there. Some of the same fellas I imagine you know, too. But, I would hate to be there on the visas they currently hold, just trying to continue to live there without having to leave every X number of months.

I don't know the in's and out's for American friendly! Maybe someone may enlighten me?

I think the Viet visa is a knock on from the troubles and changers here. The business Viet visa allows you to stay in the country just the same has Cambodia did before.  

Parrothead

As I read the requirements, to get an ER Visa you need evidence of adequate ongoing income from a (home country) government or other such credible (home country) source.

I would have adequate income, but from my self-managed investment sources (no government or commercial pension fund, etc involved)? ..... I'm a staunch DIY person! - Lol!

How does that fit in with the Cambodian visa bureaucracy? - Can I just write my own certification? - Lol!

I don't plan to ever do paid work again, or have a business, anywhere! - probably just give an occasional bit of unpaid help/advice.

Is the "Business Visa" (extendable to 6 months) still a viable alternative, without the need for a bunch of extra work permits, etc? ..........  [repeating every year, 6mo Cambodia, 6mo Australia]

Honestly, they have apparently changed requirements since I secured my ER visa back in August. Personally, I have no idea where they are now, regarding requirements. I keep hearing conflicting stories. BUT, at last confirmation, the EB (Business Visa) still had a WP (Work Permit) requirement, for both the 6 month and 12 month visas. The one-month and 3 month visas did not have that requirement attached to them. 

I imagine, and certainly at your age, it would not be very complicated to secure an ER (Retirement Visa), if you were to come here. Just secure a "Visa on Arrival", in the form of an EB. Within that month, go through an agent and secure your (one year) ER visa. 

• Like 1

Parrothead

I don't know the in's and out's for American friendly! Maybe someone may enlighten me?

I think the Viet visa is a knock on from the troubles and changers here. The business Viet visa allows you to stay in the country just the same has Cambodia did before.  

Well, not unlike the current EB / ER / EG visas here in Cambodia, when I ask questions regarding Vietnam, I get different answers as well. To be honest, I am glad I don't have a desire to go there to stay. I would, however, like to visit Vietnam sometime in the future. 

andy

I imagine, and certainly at your age, it would not be very complicated to secure an ER (Retirement Visa), if you were to come here. Just secure a "Visa on Arrival", in the form of an EB. Within that month, go through an agent and secure your (one year) ER visa

Is it worth the risk and hassle! It would be easier to obtain a 6 month EOS EG visa. No need for proof of anything and no work permit. This visa allows you to stay and look for work, but does not allow you to work. The same price as the other visas. Oz Jon only wants to spend 6 months and not work or declare any outside money.  

andy

Honestly, they have apparently changed requirements since I secured my ER visa back in August.

How have they changed the requirements?

The age is supposed to be set at 55 years old and show proof of pension. Some people like yourself have been allowed at a younger age.

Parrothead

Is it worth the risk and hassle! It would be easier to obtain a 6 month EOS EG visa. No need for proof of anything and no work permit. This visa allows you to stay and look for work, but does not allow you to work. The same price as the other visas. Oz Jon only wants to spend 6 months and not work or declare any outside money.  

Risk? What risk? What hassle? John Bohn, a member of this very site, is over 70 and secured an ER visa without ANY of the requirements I had to provide. 

And, they are saying an EG visa - if he can get one, is only once, for a year. But, I have yet to know of anyone, directly or indirectly, who has even applied for, or been issued an EG visa. So, even if he could get one, I doubt they are going to continue letting him file for one every time he enters the country.

How have they changed the requirements?

The age is supposed to be set at 55 years old and show proof of pension. Some people like yourself have been allowed at a younger age.

John didn't have any requirements to apply for his. I, however, did. Others I have spoken with did not have to provide any requirements, other than to request an ER. I would say that is changing the requirements. 

andy

Risk? What risk? What hassle? John Bohn, a member of this very site, is over 70 and secured an ER visa without ANY of the requirements I had to provide.

I do know that, I do read the posts! If you also remember you had not seen one before. I had posted the one my friend had got. He too had no hassle. But the regulations have supposedly changed on the second of this month.

The EG visa is still I understand, is available. With no wp or proof.

So is a EB visa for 3 months. But that would with the first entry visa only give him 4 months stay. 

• Like 1

Parrothead

But the regulations have supposedly changed on the second of this month.

And, they will probably change again, seeing what has happened thus far.

The EG visa is still I understand, is available. With no wp or proof.

Yes. It is for people seeking work. But, it is sold as a one off visa. 

So is a EB visa for 3 months. But that would with the first entry visa only give him 4 months stay.

Hense the reason he should just apply for an ER.

Oz Jon

Well, thanks for the efforts/info guys - I'm not in a position to retire in SE Asia at the moment, so I'll just keep monitoring L-in-Camb.

If I decide to move to Cambodia, it appears that an ER (hopefully ,without any bureaucratic BS and financial documentation) will be the way to go for 6mo per year retirement.

I guess sometime, the Visa situation will get clarified.

Cheers!