• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Well, this afternoon, we had the first heavy rain since we arrived at the farm earlier this month. Even with the 9dB gain omnidirectional antenna, there was no, zero signal loss at the modem. Have a look at the :30 seconds video:

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      @Oz Jon, I was informed today that Cootel was going to move tower locations (READ: already had moved), thus causing the signal to drop at the farm. We are talking a serious drop in signal, so much that they suggested we discontinue the service with them. My thread regarding our Cootel service.

Fortunately, I had already begun to cover all my bases, by contacting the omnidirectional antenna manufacturer, via email, for price and availability on a yagi antenna offering similar specs (frequency range, impedance, etc.). And, I have been discussing with you, the possibly sending the signal from my apartment in the city, to the farm, as well.

Anyway, below is the specs sheet for the omni, which I sent to him. He, quite obviously, did not read the subject line of the email, or the specs sheet, aside from the model number of the antenna. 

Here are a couple of the (several) PDFs he sent to me:

TDJ-1900ACY7.pdf
      TDJ-1900SP10.pdf

Keep in mind, I was quite clear in the frequency range I needed, which was stated in the subject line, as well as on the specs sheet.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Howdy,

First, some images of the tower that broadcasts the signal:

We stopped by there on the way back to the apartment today, to get a few images and to grab its GPS coordinates.

The tower is located at: 12.974649, 103.053851 decimal, or 12° 58' 28.7364'' N by 103° 3' 13.8636'' E

The farm's GPS coordinates are: 12.9867798, 103.0072846 decimal, or 12° 59' 12.4073'' N by 103° 0' 26.2246'' E

I still have to work on the Google Earth elevations.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Metfone has internet access running out Highway 57 (Southwest toward the farm). But, the access is limited to just off the highway. So, I have been working on a solution, to get the internet extended to the farm. I finally received, compliments of a friend, two TP Link CPE-510's. One will function as an Access Point for the other unit, while it will serve as a Client. They are good for about 15 kilometers, according to the specifications. I just have to complete the tower builds (one has to be looked at again, due to my findings, below) and have the antennae mounted up top. Both are powered via POE (Power Over Ethernet). 

There is a 3.35 meters (11 feet) difference in the elevation, with the highway being on the lower end. I have to take this into account when mounting these units. So, I now need an extra story high, at which to mount that unit.    Sort one thing out, and two other issues crop up. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.