Parrothead
On 10/10/2017 at 4:23 PM, Oz Jon said:

It reads like a nice piece of kit! ...... Price?

$15 USD, for the antenna and 10 meters of coax, with both N and SMA connectors attached.

On 10/10/2017 at 4:23 PM, Oz Jon said:

I figure that this kit wasn't intended for a point-point link like you want, more like feeding a bunch of remote Wi-Fi hubs - (but Hey! - any solution that works - is a good solution! -- my vintage Engineer's maxim!).

Unlike at 5GHz, at 2GHZ, you would will probably find that find more height is an advantage. Send me a Google Earth photo of the route, plus transmitter antenna location and height & the farm antenna location and I'll re-do an optimum path for you.

I was under a similar impression. Cheap and dirty, to accomplish the task. Like you said, it works. I'm still in Siem Reap, but will get the data when back at my desktop. I know where the broadcast antenna is. Just have to locate it on Google Earth.

I'm somewhat limited on height, unless / until I can secure another longer piece of coax. I figure, with where I want to mount the antenna, I can get away with a bit over 7 meters to the bottom of the pigtail coax on the antenna. That should put the top of the antenna about 8.5 meters off the ground.

Oz Jon

That may well be high enough at the farm, because you said that the other end's antenna is mounted pretty high - the opposite scenario from the previous arrangement.

Unwise to try to guess this stuff - when I get your path profile data I'll work it all out again.

That's an incredibly cheap piece of kit and it works already - can't complain too much about that!

Cheers.

• Like 1

Parrothead
On 10/12/2017 at 6:04 PM, Oz Jon said:
Cheers.

Just returned home, John. I will see if I can get this sorted as soon as possible. I have to by some steel tomorrow and take to the farm. But, will see if I can sort this too, prior to leaving for the farm.

Parrothead
That may well be high enough at the farm, because you said that the other end's antenna is mounted pretty high - the opposite scenario from the previous arrangement.

Quite true. But, to be honest, I hate not using the microwave antennas (CPE-510s), after my friend sent to them to me. I hope I can get that sorted, if for no other reason than to have two connections at the farm. Redundancy would be a fantastic thing. But, for the short term, Cootel will work for me.

Parrothead

Cheers.

Running a bit behind, John. Haven't headed back to the farm as yet. I hope to this morning, though. (4:15am, here now.)

Parrothead

The below speed test was taken yesterday, through our Cootel ISP provider.

2018-05-21 08.15.40.png

@JohnOBohn asked, some time back, as to how Cootel compared to Metfone. So, below is a speed test taken this morning, using our Metfone ADSL connection:

2018-05-21 08.21.png

JohnOBohn

just checked, mon 21, 9:12am      shows 25 mps down and 13mps up with Open net.    I think that is from Battambang to Phnom Penh,  not the real speed to the outside world.        I changed test location to  Los Angeles (at least I think I did) and ran again with almost identical numbers.    I do NOT believe these numbers.

• Like 1

JohnOBohn

My 1sr speed tests were on mazilla/firefox.

Just ran again on google chrome.    Btmb to PP about the same up & down.   Target Los Angeles about the same  down but only 5.? up     30 mins after previous post

• Like 1

Parrothead
2 hours ago, JohnOBohn said:

I do NOT believe these numbers.

Well, maybe you can believe those numbers now? :)

JohnOBohn

Forgot to mention this is using open nets INfamouse   --  Faster Than A Speeding Bullet --"""Fiber Optics""".

I can believe I might have the equivalent of your 5 & 1 and only in my dreams the 12 & 3 speeds.

just checked on my laptop speedtest.net using mozilla/firefox.   btmb - pp 25 & 13,    btmb - los angeles - 24 & 3.

so maybe the speeds are real. 

• Like 1