syzmic

That's funny.  I'm sitting in a hammock right now as I'm reading this thread.:D

• Funny 2

Parrothead
8 minutes ago, syzmic said:

Everything was vacuum tubes back then, in the dark ages.

Talking about vacuum tubes reminded me of my youth. I recall, as boy (born in '66), being very active in Citizens Band Radio, oh, about the mid to late 70's. I once had a linear amplifier that ran, I believe they were 3-500z tubes? Been a long time. But, man, would that linear generate some watteroos!! :)

No doubt, that electronics has changed today. Even as simple as we picture today, my Cootel modem is leaps ahead of the first modems I can remember.

6 minutes ago, Oz Jon said:

As for your other opportunity - don't give up your day job of project management from a hammock -Lol!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

Parrothead
3 minutes ago, syzmic said:

That's funny.  I'm sitting in a hammock right now as I'm reading this thread.:D

Yeah, I forgot. You are still in country, aren't you? Ah, the simple pleasures in life. 

• Like 2

Parrothead
On 5/22/2018 at 7:31 AM, Oz Jon said:

If you can estimate the antenna height above ground level at the new tower site and figure out the lat & long of that tower, I'll run a new path profile and figure out optimum antenna height at the farm.

As Syzmic says, a 16dbi yagi will certainly improve the signal strength and the fading performance ($150 worth of improvement? - that's a judgement call).

The data speed depends on other factors too, so it may not get much faster.

Whatever, higher signal level will be a good thing.

I found what I am almost certain to be the tower, although there are a few in this area, now. Here is a quick image of it. I'm thinking they gained altitude by going to this tower, over the previous one. And, just by a quick view, it seems there is less to block the signal between the tower and the farm, than at the previous location.

2018-05-23 06.24.58.jpg

Had to download Google Earth on this machine again, as I did a complete reformat and reinstall. But, here are Google Earth screenshots, as well.

Screenshot 2018-05-23 08.39.jpg

Screenshot 2018-05-23 08.39b.jpg

I have to run to see a friend a bit deeper into the province. But, will be back later to update / add to this information. 

• Like 2

Oz Jon

The Google Earth photos I've looked at are rather old (2014 & 2017sat photos) and show 2 masts around the area you have marked. Neither one matches your photo very well.

They both  look like a pretty tall masts - I'd guess that the cellphone antennas must be up about 40-50m agl?

How do you get those elevation profiles on Google Earth?  I know how to get a point-point line, but I haven't figured out how to get elevation profiles.

Edited by Oz Jon

Parrothead
6 hours ago, Oz Jon said:

I know how to get a point-point line, but I haven't figured out how to get elevation profiles.

1. Open Google Earth.

2. Click on "Tools", then "Ruler".

3. Draw a line between the two points on your map.

4. Save the line. In this case, I saved it as a "Temporary Place".

5. Right click on the line, listed under "Temporary Places' on your left menu column. Click on "Show Elevation Profile". The elevation profile will pop up for you to view. 

• Thanks 1

Parrothead

As you can see, the panel antennas are at the top of this tower. I may be wrong here. But, I think those are the antennas Cootel is broadcasting from. This is why I am pretty sure they gained elevation and a better location, by moving the antennas to this tower.

2018-05-23 06.24.58.jpg

Oz Jon
4 hours ago, Parrothead said:

1. Open Google Earth.

2. Click on "Tools", then "Ruler".

3. Draw a line between the two points on your map.

4. Save the line. In this case, I saved it as a "Temporary Place".

5. Right click on the line, listed under "Temporary Places' on your left menu column. Click on "Show Elevation Profile". The elevation profile will pop up for you to view. 

Thanks Paul - isn't that impressive! - very handy!

Don't know why I didn't figure that out before!

Every day, something new!

The vertical profile antennas a bit below the top are certainly Cellphone antennas... maybe for 450/850 MHz bands?

You are probably right that the panels nearer the top are the new 4G 1800MHz band antennas.

See if you can measure/guess their height agl.

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 1

Parrothead
1 hour ago, Oz Jon said:

Thanks Paul - isn't that impressive! - very handy!

Technology can be a great thing. 

1 hour ago, Oz Jon said:

The vertical profile antennas a bit below the top are certainly Cellphone antennas... maybe for 450/850 MHz bands?

850 or 900 Mhz, I imagine, Oz Jon.

Parrothead

I found two other towers out here, today. I located one more along the highway, where the others were - so, an antenna farm out this way for sure. The other, ironically, is down the farm road we are on, maybe two or three kilometers from here. It is solely a cell tower, though.