Parrothead

Siem Reap Trip: Corrupt cops and a dual pricing ticket agent.

Parrothead

So, Chan and I ran to Siem Reap for a few days. (I learned I was still sick, while there, too.) 

We decided to go by Capital Bus, this trip. So, off we went. Took us about 4.5 hours to get there, unfortunately, due to various delays. Won't do the bus thing again, for sure.

Upon nearing the city, the police had a check point up. They motioned for our driver to pull over, to which he complied. He got out and went over to talk with them. They tried to get $5.00 out of him, but he said he didn't have that much on him. So, they settled for $2.50. The problem is, he had committed NO infractions of the law, for them to have stopped him in the first place. I know this, because we sat where we always do, in the very front row, either behind the driver (seats 1 and 2), or across the aisle (seats 3 and 4). After talking with him, I told Chan to give him $2.50, as he was definitely wronged. 

So, my first order of business here, is to suggest to the Chief of Police in Siem Reap, he may want to get a handle on those officers who are corrupt, and fire their sorry asses. 

I can honestly say, I am proud of the police here. In all my years living in this city, I have been stopped once. That was for no helmet. Chan and I had run into town. Neither of us had a helmet on. We were stopped by the police, shown the official list of fees for given infractions, and charged for both. I explained that I was unable to find a helmet here that fit my noggin, so they were kind enough to only charge us for one rider with no helmet. I believe it was 10,000R ($2.50 US). We got an official receipt, as well. No corruption in that stop. 

Another issue was when Chan went to purchase tickets for Mekong Express, a company we have used many times, for travel. Chan showed up, alone, at a ticket agent for Mekong Express (not their official offices). The lady directly asked her if her husband was a Khmer or a foreigner. She told them I was a foreigner. The lady tried to charge me $12 US for my ticket, while only charging Chan $9 US for hers. I went off like a rocket. I asked her to tell them to get screwed and that their company would be reported to Mekong Express. The lady decided to ring Mekong Express, where she was told they don't overcharge passengers who are foreigners. So, Chan walked out of there with both tickets for $9.00. (I should have told her to just leave and go to Mekong's offices in town.) So, if you end up in Siem Reap, and want to return by Van, make sure you are charged correctly for your tickets. 

Oh, we got back to the apartment, from Siem Reap, in 2 hours, 45 minutes. Good time. A taxi can make it in about 2.5 hours or less, by the way.

I don't do business with companies that have dual pricing - ever. If they want to charge me more than they would a Khmer, I can do without dealing with them - period.

If you want to know why I continue to live in Battambang - these are two very good reasons.

Edited by Paul

mollydooker

Discrimination is all around us !! ....

• Like 1

syzmic

I run into that dual price thing everywhere I go.  I call it the "Barang Discount."

• Like 1

Parrothead

I run into that dual price thing everywhere I go.  I call it the "Barang Discount."

Typically, I don't here. They have a circus that does it. I gave them hell on a Google group for locals here. They later came out with a "season ticket" for local foreigners. Their prices were crazy out of sync. Like a few bucks for Khmers and maybe $20 for foreigners? The season ticket is for as many shows as you wish to attend, throughout the year. At least they worked on something. Gotta give 'em credit. But, otherwise, I don't - I feckin' flat refuse, to do business with a company that has dual pricing here. 

• Like 1

Parrothead

Discrimination is all around us !! ....

But, we can call a spade, a spade, when they do that sort of shit. I do, and quite publicly. 

• Like 1

syzmic

Typically, I don't here. They have a circus that does it. I gave them hell on a Google group for locals here. They later came out with a "season ticket" for local foreigners. Their prices were crazy out of sync. Like a few bucks for Khmers and maybe $20 for foreigners? The season ticket is for as many shows as you wish to attend, throughout the year. At least they worked on something. Gotta give 'em credit. But, otherwise, I don't - I feckin' flat refuse, to do business with a company that has dual pricing here. 

So, I'm guessing you have never been to Angkor Wat?  :stick_poke:

Parrothead

So, I'm guessing you have never been to Angkor Wat?  :stick_poke:

Correct, sir, you are!

andy

So you paid for the divers commission to the police. Tea monies, Tax whatever you want to call it. Some payment he would have agreed beforehand on every journey he does. The big boss will have is cut from the minions.

Two tier pricing is, and will stay in this land. There saying you have monies and they want you to share! They that is people of this country don't want you to give it all to your lady. You are with a Khmer so that initials them to some. Giving is better then receiving.

You should have told them when you paid for the ticket it was too much. You should be entitled to a discount with being an old age pensioner. :)     

Parrothead

Tea monies, Tax whatever you want to call it.

Corruption is what I call it. The police here don't do it. The ones in Siem Reap are no better than our police.

Two tier pricing is, and will stay in this land.

True. But, I won't pay it.

You should have told them when you paid for the ticket it was too much.

Chan bought the tickets alone. She rang me when the lady attempted to overcharge us. We didn't pay the addition monies. 

andy

So how was SR? I hear its got more busy.