andy

Costs in Cambodia

andy

Costs in Cambodia

It's about time someone re-wrote the books on the costs in Cambodia.

I personally think most costings are out of date.  

Parrothead

Mine: 

Rental Rate: (apartment in Battambang): $80

Electric Rate: 1100r / kWh. (Bill is typically $150 US per month.)

Water Rate: 2,000r / cubic meter. (Bill is typically $4.00 US per month.)

Food costs: $600 US / month, typically. (Mainly imported foods purchased.)

Electric Rate (Farm): 790r / kWh. (Highest power bill thus far, $20 US, last month.)

Water Rate: Free

Bill H

But what about Snooky?  Our food bills were under $200 a month because we bought very little western food (I'd brought quite a few of our favorites (one large suitcase full) when I came back though so we didn't have to buy it.)  Our electricity averaged around $50 or less.  Our water bill was very low, too low to remember!  We did most of our shopping in the public markets or one or two of the local supermarkets.  Our out to dinner costs was much higher though.  I never tracked it, but I'm guessing at least $200 a month, maybe more.  When we were there eating at Charlies or one of the cheap places on Victory Hill was very reasonable.  That's what we experienced.

I am curious what is happening to the rents in Snooky though.  We had a nice but small apartment, but we paid a premium for it ($150) because the security was great.  We spent a lot of timing looking for a bigger place, but every time we found one, one of the NGO's came in and offered a lot more for rent than I was willing to pay.  When you are spending other peoples money your pockets tend to be very deep.

andy

Electric Rate: 1100r / kWh. (Bill is typically $150 US per month.)
Water Rate: 2,000r / cubic meter. (Bill is typically $4.00 US per month.)
Food costs: $600 US / month, typically. (Mainly imported foods purchased.)

Rental rates I know are cheaper then our own countries. So that is that.

My Electric is 10baht kWh. About 1500baht per month.

Water always $5 per month. On the same supply as the massage shop behind me.

Because of the area, most of the food comes via Thailand. Even many of the vegetables on the market. To be honest Cambodia produces very little, and most border towns will be the same. SV and Kampot will have most goods from Vietnam.

I am curious what is happening to the rents in Snooky though. We had a nice but small apartment, but we paid a premium for it ($150) because the security was great. We spent a lot of timing looking for a bigger place, but every time we found one, one of the NGO's came in and offered a lot more for rent than I was willing to pay. When you are spending other peoples money your pockets tend to be very deep.

Rents are going up! Westerners are moving.

The Chinese are moving all over the country too. Here in KK there is a six roomed house, rental price was $200 per month. Chinese have secured it for the next 5 years by paying $500 per month.   

dicey eye

Monthly Expenses PoiPet
Rent -$100

Electricity - $12 per month

Water – free (have well)

Food - $200 per month – rarely eat out – Sopheap cooks hybrid western Khmer dishes

Booze - $60 per month

Buddha shrine fruits - $40 per month

Cooking gas - $15 per month

Motorcycle gas - $10 per month

Mother stipend -  $150 per month

Total -  $587 per month