Parrothead

Rice Harvest: It's that time of the year, again.

Oz Jon

Easy Andy !! .... Paul is a farmer also ...

I've never met Paul, but from what I've read of his stuff,  I figure that you'd have to get up really early in the morning to scam Paul!

I reckon he's not short on street-smarts!

Compliments of the season to all!

• Like 1

andy

There are a few farmers I know of here, barang and Khmer. Some do OK and some not. I hope all could do well.

• Like 1

Oz Jon

There are a few farmers I know of here, barang and Khmer. Some do OK and some not. I hope all could do well.

Yes Andy, farming is a tough game to be in.

So many potential problems - weather, disease and maybe the most important .... You don't get to set the prices for your production.

It's almost always a buyer's market, particularly set by the powerful (supermarkets, local wheeler-dealers, sometimes, crime-syndicates?, etc).

Someone's got to grow stuff! - but not for me thanks! - easier ways to make a living!

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 1

Parrothead

Not so bad when self-sustainabilty is your primary focus.

• Like 2

andy

Or even partly helps :)

• Like 2

Bill H

Yes Andy, farming is a tough game to be in.

So many potential problems - weather, disease and maybe the most important .... You don't get to set the prices for your production.

It's almost always a buyer's market, particularly set by the powerful (supermarkets, local wheeler-dealers, sometimes, crime-syndicates?, etc).

Someone's got to grow stuff! - but not for me thanks! - easier ways to make a living!

All of the above is pretty much true, and yet, few jobs give as much personal satisfaction as farming!

• Like 1

Oz Jon

All of the above is pretty much true, and yet, few jobs give as much personal satisfaction as farming!

Yes Bill, there is a lot of satisfaction to be gained by planting something, watching it grow and then consuming it.

I do that on a very small scale ( a few square metres vegetable patch) .

Mainly broad beans and chards (which I love, steamed, fresh from the garden).

Also a range of herbs, lettuces and tomatoes, particularly "tommy toes" (traditional, prolific, very tasty, bush tomatoes).

So much better than the perfect looking, but tasteless tomatoes the supermarkets carry - I don't buy them any more. 

And I grow a few artichokes (a bit of an aquired taste and not the easiest thing to eat, but I like them) - I have to leave a couple of heads to flower (for she who must be obeyed to admire! - Lol! - they are quite spectacular!)

Cheers