Dante

Barang owning Land

Dante

I realise a foreigner cannot own land in his/ her name,however is it permitted for a foreigner to own land through a Company registered to him, and in the future build a house on it? I think this can be done in Thailand but from what I gather it's not recommend.

I guess there would be a long complicated answer to this so if there is any previous posts on this matter I'd appreciate if someone could give me the link. I cannot find any. Failing that your thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Parrothead

If I am not mistaken, NGOs can own land here. If that is true, I don't see why another corporation / business couldn't as well? 

Richard or Andy may be able to give you further information. 

mollydooker

My rule of thumb in Asia ....RENT !!... its cheap ...if anything goes wrong you can just move on easily ...and plenty can go wrong !!

• Like 3

andy

Yes! I would think twice about buying land in a country that is changing so rapidly. There are ways of making the title of land legal. Plenty of info on websites on the subject.

First thing to look at is the visa change, this is still in it's early days. Ask yourself would you consider buying land if you could not stay in the country.

My rule of thumb in Asia ....RENT !!... its cheap ...if anything goes wrong you can just move on easily ...and plenty can go wrong !!

Yes lots can go wrong. I know of people who rent land and run business.

The old saying applies "spend what you are prepared to lose". I have yet to hear or find a westerner whom is making a sole living in Cambodia. Investments can be large for little returns. Just look at the normal locals trying to make a living. Then consider they have an advantage over you.......................................................................... 

Edited by andy
  • Like 2

Parrothead

Our rent is $80 US / month. I would be crazy to give it up.

• Like 1

dicey eye

Why bother trying to own land in Cambodia?

The Chinese are gonna buy up all the choice real estate. Sihanoukville is just the tip of the Chinese wave of purchasing all the primo property; it will spread all along the coast and along the Mekong River in the Four Thousand Islands area.

I bought a parcel and 2 story house in my Cambodian wife’s name merely because it was super cheap – US $2000 for the works. It’s in the middle of nowhere so it definitely has no investment potential.

The caveat with using a Cambodian friend or spouse is that if the relationship sours, there goes the property.

All things considered, rent is the way to go.

• Like 1

Dante

As you're  all giving  mostly the same advice  I'll just say thanks here rather than respond to you individually. Hope you don't think this being rude...lazy yes...plus all the quote keys would confuse me.

• Like 1

Parrothead

plus all the quote keys would confuse me.

No worries. You are in the right place. Most of us stay confused. :D