Bill H

Well sheet, not even back to the States for a year and we want to leave!

Bill H

The question is where? Our big restriction is we don’t want to live in a Muslim country, or a country where we can’t own property, which of course limits our choices. I know some of you are looking for greener pastures so I’m wondering if you’ve found something we haven’t? I’m all ears, please do fill them.

• Like 1

Parrothead

The question is where? Our big restriction is we don’t want to live in a Muslim country, or a country where we can’t own property, which of course limits our choices. I know some of you are looking for greener pastures so I’m wondering if you’ve found something we haven’t? I’m all ears, please do fill them.

Your options are somewhat limited. BUT, she is a Filipina. She certainly can own property there. Why not return to the Phils?

Oz Jon

A good question Bill .... I've been asking myself the same question for the past year or so.

My 2 former interests (Philippines and Cambodia) have both become much less attractive over that time... some features of both are now down right unattractive! ... for me, best avoided!

So, if anyone has found some better options, I'd like to know about them too.

Cheers

Parrothead

My 2 former interests (Philippines and Cambodia) have both become much less attractive over that time... some features of both are now down right unattractive! ... for me, best avoided!

I'd be interested to hear what those unattractive features are, honestly. That is, if you are willing to share. Personally, I have been happy in both countries.

Oz Jon

I'd be interested to hear what those unattractive features are, honestly. That is, if you are willing to share. Personally, I have been happy in both countries.

In both countries, outright disregard for the rule-of-law by those in power.

Killing on suspicion without trial encouraged and not investigated in the Phils. 

Draconian Phils law (7610) by which a foreigner can be incarcerated (without bail) for a lengthy period based on someones suspicion/opinion (fair enough, if the case was quickly tested in a court ... but it isn't!).

Increased risk in the Phils of getting caught up in terrorist activities (shooting, bombing, kidnapping).

In Cambodia, now effectively a dictatorship. And not a very nice one!

Rule-of-law and constitutional rights appear to be ignored (even by the judiciary?)

John_Galt

Rule-of-law and constitutional rights appear to be ignored (even by the judiciary?)

You could even be talking about The States with that line. 

One place I can think of that might meet your requirements is  Svalbard. Though it is a little cold. 

Parrothead

In both countries, outright disregard for the rule-of-law by those in power.

Killing on suspicion without trial encouraged and not investigated in the Phils. 

Draconian Phils law (7610) by which a foreigner can be incarcerated (without bail) for a lengthy period based on someones suspicion/opinion (fair enough, if the case was quickly tested in a court ... but it isn't!).

Increased risk in the Phils of getting caught up in terrorist activities (shooting, bombing, kidnapping).

In Cambodia, now effectively a dictatorship. And not a very nice one!

I'm actually a bit shocked at your reply.

Mate, I don't know when you originally joined my (former) Cebu forum. But, you are certainly no newbie, by any stretch of the imagination. But, nothing, including the terrorist activities in your post is actually "new" business, concerning these countries. 

In the Philippines, we have rarely - if ever, heard any sort of update on cases after their initial releases. There have been many incidents regarding criminals being gunned down without a trial, with the police involved ever going to trial. Just blown away like the wind. 

Regarding foreigners held without bail, and without a trial - sometimes for years, I'm sure you recall having read similar threads over time? I remember them from before ever moving to the Philippines. This would have been the late '90s, to early 2000. All one can hope to do, if they choose to live in this region, is to keep their heads down and "blend in" as much as possible. Mind your business in these countries, and you will be fine.  

Cambodia being a dictatorship? That's pretty well been the case since the King Father abdicated his throne in 2004. While there have been multiple parties in this country, the vast majority of power is held by one man. The Prime Minister eliminating the opposing party only made it more official. I can't say if the Khmers are happy with it, or not. I don't see the villagers storming the castle. So, maybe they are okay with it? If they are, I am.

For foreigners living here, this doesn't change anything, anymore than it would change anything for us in the Philippines. We have no affect on any way they are run, nor will we - ever. So, we either choose to live here under their rules, or we move on. 

• Like 1

Oz Jon

You could even be talking about The States with that line. ......

Really?  (I presume that you had your tongue in your cheek when you said that!)

There is no rule-of-law in the US now? - when did that happen?

And the judiciary don't respect the Constitution now?

Now I understand why US citizens need guns! - Lol!

Oz Jon

I'm actually a bit shocked at your reply.

Mate, I don't know when you originally joined my (former) Cebu forum. But, you are certainly no newbie, by any stretch of the imagination. But, nothing, including the terrorist activities in your post is actually "new" business, concerning these countries. 

Regarding foreigners held without bail, and without a trial - sometimes for years,....... Mind your business in these countries, and you will be fine.  

Cambodia being a dictatorship? That's pretty well been the case since the King Father abdicated his throne in 2004. .......

For foreigners living here, this doesn't change anything, anymore than it would change anything for us in the Philippines. We have no affect on any way they are run, nor will we - ever. So, we either choose to live here under their rules, or we move on. 

I've thinned out your reply quote, but kept your main points....... You asked for my reasons and you got them! - Lol!

The thrust of what you said is that these countries are OK for foreigners provided that the keep their heads down, mind their own business and avoid commenting on local matters. As you say, I've been around a bit and those things I knew already and have practiced in my travels and time spent in the Phils.

I'm just getting the impression that the factors I stated for the Phils have escalated in the past year or two.

In particular, I'd met Kjartan Sekkingstad who was kidnapped late 2015 from the Samal Marina. I'd hauled out my boat on the slip he managed and got to know him a bit - a nice guy. So that kidnapping rocked me.

And more recently, the Marawi situation didn't inspire confidence either.

The extra-judicial killing (State sponsored murder) and it's apparent acceptance is a fairly recent development that horrifies me.

And being very careful not to run afoul of the 7610 law thing is not something I want to deal with. I have absolutely no sexual interest in under 18s or any of the other unacceptable things that law is intended to cover, but I wouldn't want to be constantly concerned about being "in the company of" young people. I like helping young people and have done so in the past. I have some wisdom/advice to impart and funds to help them if appropriate. I can do without the hassle!

The Phils is still my top candidate country for (part-time) retirement. It was very attractive, but I'm no longer as enthusiastic as I was.

I knew little about Cambodia (that's why I joined the forum - to find out more) It looked like a good candidate retirement country with easy visa conditions which suited my interests. The Visa conditions have (or seem to be) deteriorating in recent months.

I hadn't realised just how dictatorial the government was until recently when the Aus journalist was arrested for "spying", the opposition leader was arrested and the opposition party banned. All this with questionable legality. The role of the judiciary is unclear.

I'm losing interest in living in Cambodia - maybe I'll just visit for a look around.

As old men are wont to say "The good-old-days are over" .... I'm fortunate to have seen some of them!

Cheers

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 1

dicey eye

Well, Doctor Bill, the new found castrating obsession with so-called “age appropriate†relationships and the anti-patriarchcal attitude now in the USA are in effect for me a knock-out, one, two punch. As for patriarchcal, I grew up in a patriarchcal society in the 40s and 50s and then men were the boss. As soon as women became empowered in the mid to late 60s things started to slide downhill.

I don’t know for sure, but I imagine the 40 or so year age difference between you and your lovely wife has generated some hostility in your travels around America. (PS - Bill is pushing 70)

Who needs to be confronted with snotty looks and crappy comments from a bunch of uptight dudes and dudettes?

If my assumption is wrong about the “age appropriate†negative attitude in the US, I apologize. In my case I would never travel in the US with my common law Cambodian wife who is 32 years my junior. I imagine too much hostility would come my way.

Two things I find appealing about Cambodia are: 1. no “age appropriate†problems and 2. still is when push comes to shove is a patriarchcal society.

Peace man.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 1