Bill H

Well sheet, not even back to the States for a year and we want to leave!

John_Galt

Really?  (I presume that you had your tongue in your cheek when you said that!)

There is no rule-of-law in the US now? - when did that happen?

And the judiciary don't respect the Constitution now?

Now I understand why US citizens need guns! - Lol!

A little tongue and cheek but with some sad truth to it as well.

There is lawlessness in the US when it comes to the ruling class/government... Though of a different kind a few examples off the top of my head.

civil forfeiture, 

lack of proper budgets in the federal government, (mandated by the constitution) 

obama care (against the constitution forcing someone to purchase something because they exist)

forcing businesses to do business with those they do not wish to

High profile people not going to jail for illegal activity, (hillary clinton for having her own email server for classified materials, al sharpton for not paying millions in tax) Al Capone was put in jail for 11 years for only $80,000 in unpaid tax

We need guns because we have an inalienable right to them. 

But back to the original topic I dont really see the new visa and work permit laws/rules as too much of a problem here. It is still much easier than most countries. Overall the worst problem I have had here is being overcharged. 

It would depend on you needs/wants and your pocketbook as to what other countries are available.  

• Like 1

Parrothead

Fair enough, mate, regarding the Philippines. 

I knew little about Cambodia (that's why I joined the forum - to find out more) It looked like a good candidate retirement country with easy visa conditions which suited my interests. The Visa conditions have (or seem to be) deteriorating in recent months.

I hadn't realised just how dictatorial the government was until recently when the Aus journalist was arrested for "spying", the opposition leader was arrested and the opposition party banned. All this with questionable legality. The role of the judiciary is unclear.

I'm losing interest in living in Cambodia - maybe I'll just visit for a look around.

If you haven't been here, I would certainly urge you to visit, prior to making any hard fast decisions against it. Maybe you won't. But, maybe you will change your mind. 

The visa situation seems to have stabilized a bit, especially concerning the visa you would be interested in, an ER. For the most part, it seems as though those who work here are the ones who seem to be in the dark as to where things are going. 

• Like 2

Parrothead

2. still is when push comes to shove is a patriarchcal society.

Ol' Dicey Eye keeps telling himself that, anyway.  :lol:  :yahoo:  :lol:

dicey eye

Ol' Dicey Eye keeps telling himself that, anyway.

Sure all husband-wife relationships (or equivalent) are give-and-take propositions. I let the wife make all the day-to-day minor decisions so she FEELS empowered but when it comes to where we live and big-ish decisions I'm the head of the household. Naturally I believe I'm one fortunate dude to have a companion  that is so caring, and so easy-on-the-eyes, though I still override her wishes when they are ill-conceived. I cringe when I read what I just wrote, it sounds so damn chauvinistic, but it is my Neanderthal take on relationships; so I just gotta tolerate it even though sounds like "sheet".

• Like 2

Oz Jon

Paul,

Just picking up on the last line of your response.

I've never had any ambition to try to change the way these countries are run - that's a matter strictly for the locals to sort out.

Many things are unusual in the way they operate - that's part of the joy/frustration/interest in living in a different culture. I can handle (even enjoy that).

But I draw the line at things I find morally unacceptable.

If the locals are happy living with that situation -that's their affair - I increasingly think that I don't want to.

• Like 1

Oz Jon

Fair enough, mate, regarding the Philippines. 

If you haven't been here, I would certainly urge you to visit, prior to making any hard fast decisions against it. Maybe you won't. But, maybe you will change your mind. 

The visa situation seems to have stabilized a bit, especially concerning the visa you would be interested in, an ER. For the most part, it seems as though those who work here are the ones who seem to be in the dark as to where things are going. 

Yes Paul

I've never been to Cambodia and there are many things there that interest me.

Coming for a visit on a 30 day tourist visa looks easy (no problems).

I have it on my long list of good things to do, one of these days!

Cheers

• Like 1

Bill H

One place I can think of that might meet your requirements is  Svalbard. Though it is a little cold.

Where the hell is Svalbard? I will have to look it up, but if it’s full of snow the wife will love it!

John_Galt

Where the hell is Svalbard? I will have to look it up, but if it’s full of snow the wife will love it!

Svalbard is a Norwegian archipelago between mainland Norway and the North Pole. One of the world’s northernmost inhabited areas, it's known for its rugged, remote terrain of glaciers and frozen tundra sheltering polar bears, Svalbard reindeer and Arctic foxes. The Northern Lights are visible during winter, and summer brings the “midnight sun”—sunlight 24 hours a day.

Uniquely, the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard is an entirely visa-free zone. Everybody may live and work in Svalbard indefinitely regardless of country of citizenship.

Copy and paste from google. 

I havent looked that much into it. Mostly because of where it is located. I am happy where I am nice and hot. 

andy

It does not seem that way. Stabilization would be nice. For business visa needs it is up and down all the time, new change, from one thing and the next. The retirement is more stabile, with only small changers made from the agents. But I see on the horizon the big change for this. 

• Like 1

Parrothead

Coming for a visit on a 30 day tourist visa looks easy (no problems).
I have it on my long list of good things to do, one of these days!

Just don't waste your time visiting Sihanoukville! READ THIS.