urban.gd99

Help I'm moving to cambodia

urban.gd99

Please anyone have good advise I'm moving with $4000 and just want to start a new life. I really want to work hard and make the right decisions. Any advise for cheap rentals and work.

John_Galt

Please anyone have good advise I'm moving with $4000 and just want to start a new life. I really want to work hard and make the right decisions. Any advise for cheap rentals and work.

Hello Welcome to the forum. 

I would say you can move here if you want with $4000 and a plane ticket.

I did with not much more. 

But you have to have the right mentality to live in a culture that is not your own. 

With that much money you would have to start working right away.

I would also suggest trying to save more money before coming.

For work there is teaching English, owning your own business, or working at someones business usually a bar/hostel for a free room and maybe a little money or free food.

Any Idea which city you are interested in? 

Tell us some more about yourself. 

You should seriously also keep a backup plan in case you dont like it here. Keep enough money to fly back. And have a place to go to. Many people romanticize the idea of living in a foreign country so much. That when they get there they are disappointed. 

• Like 1

andy

Just for the visa and work permit, this will cost you over $400, more if you set up your own business. You seem to have possibly only start up monies or holiday spend. This will last you 6 months if you take care. 

• Like 1

andy

But OP did you not put the price of $6000 on a other forum. Maybe this site will give a cheaper response.

$20.000 sounds reasonable. But don't get ill.

dicey eye

John Galt's reply on seed money to get acclimated seems quite sensible and realistic to me.

In my case (I'm an idiosyncratic former Hippie.without a lick of common sense; this forum's resident oddball) when I left the US in the mid 80s to Central America with a grand total of $500 I manged to score a teaching gig fairly quickly. Stayed 21 yrs and left my 2 Central American common law wives each a house, one a school and 100 meters of island beach property.

Moved to Cambodia with less than $1000, got a job my 2nd day in Sihanoukville and been in Cambodia just shy of 10 yrs.

Two caveats: 1. I live like a native which includes eating primarily local cuisine which I like and no air con, no hot water shower, no Western accouterments  2. I'm not materialistic so I don't buy much of anything. BUT I would not recommend my method unless you're a little bit devil-may-care or crazy as I am.

What Andy alluded to - medical problems - could be costly so live a healthy lifestyle.

Peace, dude..

As for teaching jobs, where I live, Poi Pet there are several schools that are looking for native English speaking teachers. At first I hated PoiPet, but now after living here 8 months its grown on me and I kind of like it. Though be warned it is known on-line as the arm pit of Cambodia.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 3

andy

I don't and won't disagree with you Dicey and any others whom have made the move in the past. But now I do think Cambodia is on the change. Just look at the costs of wanting to work. Visa you need anyway, work permit next and so on and on........................

urban.gd99

Hello Welcome to the forum.

I would say you can move here if you want with $4000 and a plane ticket.

I did with not much more.

But you have to have the right mentality to live in a culture that is not your own.

With that much money you would have to start working right away.

I would also suggest trying to save more money before coming.

For work there is teaching English, owning your own business, or working at someones business usually a bar/hostel for a free room and maybe a little money or free food.

Any Idea which city you are interested in?

Tell us some more about yourself.

You should seriously also keep a backup plan in case you dont like it here. Keep enough money to fly back. And have a place to go to. Many people romanticize the idea of living in a foreign country so much. That when they get there they are disappointed.

I'm moving to phnom

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Parrothead

Some guys are teaching English in Poi Pet, if I recall correctly. Personally, to keep your costs of living down, I would choose that town, over Phnom Penh. EVERYTHING will cost you more in Phnom Penh. Worst case, build up some experience - AND cash, in a smaller city / town, then move to Phnom Penh, would be my suggestion.

• Like 2

dicey eye

Some guys are teaching English in Poi Pet, if I recall correctly. Personally, to keep your costs of living down, I would choose that town, over Phnom Penh.

Most teaching jobs in PoiPet for Native English speakers start around $1000 per month. Could live VERY comfortably on $500, and save the other $500 for a rainy day. Efficiency apartments (basic Khmer style with western toilet) run as low as $30 per month near the school I'm affiliated with.

But I met my common law wife 7 yrs ago when teaching in Phnom Penh and haven't noticed any gal in the same beauty league as Pip in PoiPet; also its rather difficult to find any food/ cuisine other than Cambodian or Thai in any restaurant or market in PoiPet. So if your food preference is orientated towards western cheese burgers and steaks, PoiPet definitely is lacking in those types of meal options except for a small take out business (named Mozart) that has a variety of Western and Bavarian dishes run by a German called Wolf who teaches part-time at the same school as John Galt.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 2

urban.gd99

Some guys are teaching English in Poi Pet, if I recall correctly. Personally, to keep your costs of living down, I would choose that town, over Phnom Penh. EVERYTHING will cost you more in Phnom Penh. Worst case, build up some experience - AND cash, in a smaller city / town, then move to Phnom Penh, would be my suggestion.

What is the name of the school and if I move to poi can you help me find a place or possibly a room mate

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1