urban.gd99

Help I'm moving to cambodia

phuketrichard

pizza company in Poi pet...

• Like 2

Parrothead

What is the name of the school and if I move to poi can you help me find a place or possibly a room mate

I live in Battambang, unfortunately. And, I don't teach. I'm here on a retirement (ER) visa. Have only gone through there, never having stopped. I believe both dicey eye and John_Galt live there, though. Perhaps, they could lend a hand?

dicey eye

What is the name of the school and if I move to poi can you help me find a place or possibly a room mate

There's school that needs a Native English Speaker immediately to solely teach speaking, no grammar, no spelling and no writing. Exclusively teach speaking English.

The school's name is Sovannaplumi POP1.

This forum's head honcho (John Galt) doesn't live very far from it.

Edited by dicey eye

urban.gd99

There's school that needs a Native Speaker immediately to solely teach speaking, no grammar, no spelling and no writing. Exclusively teach speaking.

The school's name is Sovannaplumi POP1.

This forum's head honcho (John Galt) doesn't live very far from it.

Thank you. What will rent cost me in this area I don't need the best place as long as I got a toilet and fridge and a small place. I hope to meet you. And thank you for all the advise.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

John_Galt

I think what matter most is what you like better big city life or smaller city life. 

I agree with Dicey eye  I could easily live on $500 a month (If I was single). Not sure what I would need in PP. Probably just an increase of rent and food. 

I dont think there is much opportunity for roommates in Poipet but rent is so low it doesnt matter. I have seen $30 and up with most of the acceptable (to me) apartments/rooms around $60 to $100 a month. If you look you can get a room at a guest house with AC cable tv and internet for $150.

For getting a job Teaching in Cambodia actually walking in with your CV and talking to someone is the best way. In my experience If they need someone and you look and act decent enough they will hire you regardless of experience. With a few exceptions like Universities usually will want some qualifications. 

You can easily buy a Small fridge under $200.

In Poipet I usually eat street food $1.25 for lunch and less than $3 for dinner.  

• Like 1

dicey eye

If you want a rental a place with all the western amenities including air con, hot shower, cable TV and wifi within walking distance to Sovannaplumi POP1 the price will be just about $100. There's some units available maybe 100 meters from school.

And as John Galt said PoiPet schools very rarely hire teachers without meeting them in person. No on-line hiring that I've heard of.

So get a few copies of your CV and make the rounds.

I know Sovannaplumi POP1 definitely needs a Native English Speaker because one of my students at the university is admin at that school and asked me to find somebody suitable.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 2

Parrothead

There's school that needs a Native English Speaker immediately to solely teach speaking, no grammar, no spelling and no writing. Exclusively teach speaking English.

A risk of sounding like a smart arse, what sort of CV would one need to teach a class like that? Heck, even I could do that sort of job.

I know Sovannaplumi POP1 definitely needs a Native English Speaker because one of my students at the university is admin at that school and asked me to find somebody suitable.

Wait. You are teaching English at a university, to an administrator of a school where students go to learn English

I could easily live on $500 a month (If I was single).

I wish I could. If I were single, it would cost me even more to live each month, than it does now.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Parrothead

Any advise for cheap rentals and work.

So, I guess the big question for you is, when will you arrive in country? You would be better (closer) to fly into Siem Reap, than Phnom Penh, if interested in the area of discussion in this thread.

andy

How many expats are resident in poi pet?

dicey eye

Paul, at the university I teach a class titled Teaching Methodology and another called Applied Linguistics

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 1