Parrothead

Maybank, the one bank many have been able to go to, due to the bank not charging ATM fees, has now joined the ranks of banks that want to make that extra "dime" off their customers. One day, I went to Maybank and withdrew several hundred dollars - no fee. The very next day I returned to make another withdrawal. This time, it had an additional screen to pop up.

Friends and neighbors, it will now cost you a $5.00 USD ATM fee to use MayBank's ATM, here in Battambang. (I imagine this is already country wide, as well.) 

John_Galt

That sucks I always used Maybank in Battambang when withdrawing.  

Parrothead
41 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

That sucks I always used Maybank in Battambang when withdrawing.  

Well, I am glad I have my Schwab account. They charge no fees and will reimburse all foreign ATM fees.

In your case, why not get someone to open an account with them? It will save you a ton of money, over the course of a year, in withdrawal fees. 

Edited by Parrothead

Oz Jon
13 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Well, I am glad I have my Schwab account. They have no fees and reimburse all foreign ATM fees.

In your case, why not get someone to open an account with them? It will save you a ton of money, over the course of a year, in withdrawal fees. 

Late 2017, I signed up to use Schwab as one of my US stockbrokers.

Excellent service, easy to use website and very low brokerage charges (~$5 per trade).

Unlike most US brokers, banks, etc they welcome non-resident, non American customers too. - to their gain!

ps. their exchange rate AU$ -US$ (and reverse ) charges are about 2% .... much better than Aus banks

(However, I use OFX and get ~0.6% charges)

Edited by Oz Jon
ps
  • Like 1

John_Galt
16 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Well, I am glad I have my Schwab account. They charge no fees and will reimburse all foreign ATM fees.

Before I could ignore the fees but now I will open a Schwab account.
Also I will research other ways to withdrawal money. 

Parrothead
9 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

Also I will research other ways to withdrawal money. 

For an American, anyway, Schwab has been THE best way I have found, in order to get money here, from the US. I won't open a USD Savings Account here, due to them requiring me to fill out a W-9. So, I might as well keep any funds I would need here, in a US bank. I get it instantly, and there is always some ATM open. 

In fact, the only real reason I used Maybank whenever possible was, to prevent Schwab from having to reimburse for fees each month.

19 minutes ago, Oz Jon said:

Unlike most US brokers, banks, etc they welcome non-resident, non American customers too. - to their gain!

A guy who recently moved here from the UK, told me that he was able to open a Schwab account as well, from the UK. They will gain a considerable amount of international business, which, I'm sure, is beneficial to both the client and them too.

• Like 1

Oz Jon

Are you an American (with a SS number) JG?

The reason I ask is that some other US business won't allow me to withdraw cash (quick and simple on the net) without manual intervention.

The problem is that their software insists on getting a SS number.... which, of course I don't have.

(even having gone through all the identification, AU and US tax stuff and anti-money laundering BS)

[ I don't let computers beat me - I've had success using "made-up" numbers - Lol! ....

apparently, their software isn't smart enough to check the SS validity]

• Like 1

Parrothead
13 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

Before I could ignore the fees but now I will open a Schwab account.

Keep in mind to inform whomever you get to help you sort that out, that Schwab is going to send a forest full of documents and mail to the address listed on the account. I was absolutely flooded with all the documents / mail they sent to me, after opening my account with them.

3 minutes ago, Oz Jon said:

He's a REAL live TRUE yank, from up nooath (spoken with a deep southern drawl.) :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John_Galt
2 minutes ago, Oz Jon said:

The reason I ask is that some other US business won't allow me to withdraw cash (quick and simple on the net) without manual intervention.

The problem is that their software insists on getting a SS number.... which, of course I don't have.

(even having gone through all the identification, AU and US tax stuff and anti-money laundering BS)

[ I don't let computers beat me - I've had success using "made-up" numbers - Lol! ....

Yes I am American.

Another way to solve that is get a tax EIN number or even start/buy an LLC. 
They  probably dont care about "a SSN typeo" they just have to follow the governmental regulations. 

They dont make international money transfer easy or cheap its like they think your money is their money.
Hopefully in the future Crypto currencies will stabilize and become more popular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oz Jon
5 hours ago, Oz Jon said:

As a matter of curiosity, I just found a US website which allows you to check the validity of SS numbers. Very interesting!

<https://www.ssn-check.org/lookup/>

I've been using an easy to remember variant of my cellphone number.

If you ever hear of a guy (about 60 yo) in Tennessee who has been getting some awkward questions from the US money laundering authority - I may be able to help him!

Edited by Oz Jon
url added
  • Funny 3