Parrothead

Don't know why I never updated this thread. But, @JohnOBohn informed me, a while back, that MayBank also reduced the per transaction withdraw limit to $500 USD, as well.

John_Galt
46 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Don't know why I never updated this thread. But, @JohnOBohn informed me, a while back, that MayBank also reduced the per transaction withdraw limit to $500 USD, as well.

Got to make money any way they can. 

Parrothead
46 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

Got to make money any way they can. 

In May Bank's defense, they were probably the last bank in Cambodia, to charge ATM fees.

John_Galt
4 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

In May Bank's defense, they were probably the last bank in Cambodia, to charge ATM fees.

True though now I no longer have any reason to use them. 

andy
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, John_Galt said:

True though now I no longer have any reason to use them. 

I never got chance to use them. Tried years ago to open a account in Battambang, had to go in a room in the back with the manager where he explained because I had a EB (business) I had to have an address of my business and also letters from the tax office. ABA had my business. Now I hear from a friend who also has an account with ABA, that sending money from the UK can be done in sterling, that means you still have the transfer charge from the bank of your own country, but not the high fee of exchange. I know this does not affect the countries whom use the US $. 

• Like 1

John_Galt
8 minutes ago, andy said:

Now I hear from a friend who also has an account with ABA, that sending money from the UK can be done in sterling, that means you still have the transfer charge from the bank of your own country, but not the high fee of exchange. I know this does not affect the countries whom use the US $. 

That is useful cuts down on some of the fees. Might be available with other currencies also. 

• Like 1

andy
9 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

That is useful cuts down on some of the fees. Might be available with other currencies also. 

A little bit off topic, I had pound note's and went to ACLEDA Bank in Koh Kong. Advertising on their web site for currency exchange!

I was told not at this branch. Also no ABA here too.    

Edited by andy

Read2Learn
On 4/13/2018 at 3:55 AM, John_Galt said:

Before I could ignore the fees but now I will open a Schwab account.
Also I will research other ways to withdrawal money. 

Schwab is great, Fidelity also reimburses fees, also so far there has been no fees charged anyway when their atm card has been used at a HSBC bank.

• Thanks 2

John_Galt
4 hours ago, andy said:

I was told not at this branch. Also no ABA here too.  

Try again on a different day. Works for changing the very old/ripped US Bills

1 hour ago, Read2Learn said:

Fidelity also reimburses fees,

Thanks good info! 

Parrothead
3 hours ago, johnny lightning said:

After reading about Schwab I am very interested. I travel a lot and get killed on fees from ATMs. However, there is only an appointment only office in Vancouver (yes I'm Canadian) and I don't know if I will be able to get there before I leave Canada. I had a look online and it appears I can open an account that way. Before I go further, has anyone else done this and which type of account would I want?

I opened this exact account, when I was stateside in 2014-2015.

I will split this post into its own topic, @johnny lightning, and will then answer it for you.