John_Galt

Spilled Coffee

John_Galt

So this morning I was doing what I do nearly every morning. Drinking coffee and reading a few websites on my laptop.  Somehow I managed to spill the entire cup of coffee.  Directly onto my laptop. I quickly jumped up unplugged it flipped it over and ripped out the battery. Then spent the rest of the day cleaning it. There was definitely a lot of coffee inside. The keyboard is dead but the laptop seems to be working fine now. Luckily I have a wireless keyboard to use until I find a new one for the laptop. 

Anyone ever spill a drink on their laptop? 

Parrothead

First, I have to say, coffee must be the nastiest substance known to God or man. I can't stand the smell of it, honestly.

2 hours ago, John_Galt said:

Anyone ever spill a drink on their laptop?

I have spilled a liquid on one laptop, in the past. It's been too many years to remember, though. I did similarly, and just attached a USB keyboard for the rest of its useful life.

John_Galt
10 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

First, I have to say, coffee must be the nastiest substance known to God or man. I can't stand the smell of it, honestly.

I think the same about green curry. 

So far I dont really like the wireless keyboard. But I should get used to it after a few days. 

I will probably buy a new computer soon will have to look around and see what is available.  

Parrothead
19 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

I will probably buy a new computer soon will have to look around and see what is available.  

Don't get your hopes up, too high, if shopping locally, anyway. Two questions:

What o/s do you run?

Considering a desktop, or another laptop?

John_Galt
11 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Don't get your hopes up, too high, if shopping locally, anyway. Two questions:

What o/s do you run?

Considering a desktop, or another laptop?

I use windows. I would never even consider a Mac. 

I will consider both a desktop or a laptop even open to building one myself. As long as this one keeps working I am not in too much of a hurry and will just wait for a good deal. 

Parrothead

Honestly, I would suggest a desktop, to get more bang for your buck.

• Like 1

John_Galt
10 hours ago, Parrothead said:

Honestly, I would suggest a desktop, to get more bang for your buck.

Also able to upgrade more parts. 

Parrothead
Just now, John_Galt said:

Also able to upgrade more parts. 

Yep. Yep. I can disassemble and reassemble a desktop, easily. I can't do that with a laptop.

Oz Jon

Most modern electronics can handle being washed in warm water (with a bit of washing-up detergent in it) ... provided that there is no power applied and any batteries are removed.

I once spilled lots of black ink through the circuit boards of a dot-matrix printer - that killed it! .... but after a wash and scrub with a soft artist's paint brush, followed by a swift dry in front of a fan heater it came back good-as-new again - lasted for years afterwards.

If your thing doesn't work with coffee in it - you've got nothing to lose! - give it a try! - good luck!

Cheers.

Make sure it's completely dry before re-applying batteries/power.

• Like 2

John_Galt
31 minutes ago, Oz Jon said:

Most modern electronics can handle being washed in warm water (with a bit of washing-up detergent in it) ... provided that there is no power applied and any batteries are removed.

I once spilled lots of black ink through the circuit boards of a dot-matrix printer - that killed it! .... but after a wash and scrub with a soft artist's paint brush, followed by a swift dry in front of a fan heater it came back good-as-new again - lasted for years afterwards.

If your thing doesn't work with coffee in it - you've got nothing to lose! - give it a try! - good luck!

Cheers.

Make sure it's completely dry before re-applying batteries/power.

Yes, I basically used Q-tips  some water and  fan. Took all day buy I finally got it all cleaned up and dried. It seems to be working fine except the keyboard.  Now I am using a wireless keyboard. 

• Like 1