Parrothead
1 hour ago, bamboo said:

My power bill is 6,000 to ,7,000 pesos a month,  but I love my aircon.lol

The highest electric bills I ever had in SEA, were from when I lived in Bogo, 100 Kilometers north of Cebu City. Regularly, it ran that high, for similar reasons. So, I know exactly what you mean.

Read2Learn
12 hours ago, bamboo said:

I think I need to get a inverter aircon here in the Philippines. My power bill is 6,000 to ,7,000 pesos a month,  but I love my aircon.lol

Inverter a/c and inverter ref would help lower the bill a lot. 

• Like 3

mollydooker

I have an inverter Ref a Panasonic with bottom freezer drawer ....best investment ever ...absolutely silent and always running ...power bills have been the same for the 25 odd years living here ...not sure why that is ...about P12OO-P1400 a month Meralco billing ...maybe living alone helps big time !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

jim

Where did you buy the Honda EU-20i Inverter Generator in Cambodia? I live 32 kilometers from Phnom Penh and the power is off every day .

John_Galt
58 minutes ago, jim said:

Where did you buy the Honda EU-20i Inverter Generator in Cambodia? I live 32 kilometers from Phnom Penh and the power is off every day .

Sadly Parrothead has passed away.
I think he bought it in Phnom Penh. But not 100% sure. 

I bought a 1KWH generator in Battambang for $90 Works good for a TV, Fan, Laptop, light, router, and chargers.

Same one as from this thread: https://www.livingincambodiaforums.com/ipb/topic/7989-blackouts-hit-poipet/

dicey eye

I believe Parrothead's common law wife/widow (Chan) would sell his for a bargain - she lives about 30 km outside BTB. I'll call her and find out the details.

• Like 1

dicey eye
6 hours ago, John_Galt said:

I bought a 1KWH generator in Battambang for $90 Works good for a TV, Fan, Laptop, light, router, and chargers.

I have the same mini-model generator. It services three 60watt lightbulbs, laptop computer, charges 3 tablets and runs 3 fans. Which is all I really need.

The two drawbacks are (1) the gas tank merely holds 4 liters and (2) it is necessary to mix 2-stroke oil with the gas and it is impossible to find 2-stroke oil in PoiPet. Have to get it sent on the bus from BTB.

dicey eye
On 5/1/2019 at 4:40 PM, dicey eye said:

and it is impossible to find 2-stroke oil in PoiPet

I found a source for 2-stroke oil yesterday in PoiPet so I stocked up. Enough to last a few months at the going black-out rate.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Strider167
      By Strider167
      Solar Panel Temperature Affects Output – Here's what you need to know
      Solar panel temperature is one of the important factors that affects how much electricity your panels will produce. It's ironic – but the more sunshine you get, the hotter the panels get and this in turns counteracts the benefit of the sun.
      In some cases the heat factor can reduce your output by 10% to 25% depending on your specific location.
      Of course, not all solar panels are affected by heat equally and luckily some do much better at coping with the heat than others. Here's what you need to know.

If you look at the manufacturer's data sheet you will see a term called "temperature coefficient Pmax". For example the temperature coefficient of a Suntech 190 W (monocrystalline) solar panel is –0.48%. What this means is that for each degree over 25˚C … the maximum power of the panel is reduced by 0.48%.
      So on a hot day in the summer – where solar panel temperature on the roof might reach 45˚C or so – the amount of electricity would be 10% lower.
      Conversely, on a sunny day in the Spring, fall, or even winter – when temperatures are lower than 25˚C – the amount of electricity produced would actually increase above the maximum rated level.
      Therefore, in most northern climates – the days above and below 25˚C would tend to balance each other out. However, in locations closer to the equator the problems of heat loss could become substantial over the full year and warrant looking at alternatives.
      Note:For those of you who want to use their solar panels to charge their RV or boat batteries – you'll will need to make sure that the voltage produced by your panel (under high heat scenarios) will be sufficient to recharge your battery – so it's best to order higher voltage solar panels to offset the temperature losses – and also keep the panels clean for maximum output.

Some Solar Cells Respond to Temperature Changes Better than OthersThe solar panel temperature affects the maximum power output directly. As solar panel temperature increases, its output current increases exponentially while the voltage output is reduced linearly. Since power is equal to voltage times current this property means that the warmer the solar panel the less power it can produce. The power loss due to temperature is also dependent on the type of solar panel being used.
      Typically, solar panels based on monocrystalline and polycrystalline solar cells will have a temperature coefficient in the –0.44% to -.50% range.

Amporphous Silicon does a bit better. For example, the Sanyo HIT hybrid cells and bifacial cells, which consist of a layer of monocrystalline silicon covered with a thin coating of amorphouse silicon have a lower temperature coefficient of –0.34% - making them another good choice for people looking for high efficiency solar panels in areas closer to the equator.
      The best so far in terms of dealing with high temperatures are the Cadmium Telluride solar panels – with a temperature coefficient of –0.25%. However, while they are good with dealing with temperature changes – they are not as efficient at converting sunlight into electricity.
      Newer technologies such as CIGS and some of the 4th generation solar cell technologies being developed show show promise of also being less affected by the temperature – but we have to wait until their datasheets are published to know for sure.

Possible Solutions?Because of the problem of loss of electricity as a result of heat buildup – most installers make sure it is possible for air to flow above and below the solar panels to help keep them cool.
      -Try to use light colors under the panels.
      -Stay away from black back panels.
      -Water cooling - Run your potable water under the panel (maybe in line with solar hot water system) with a heat exchanger.

Keep the lights on

• Strider167
      By Strider167
      What is the difference between Monocrystalline, Polycrystalline, and Thin Film Solar Panels?
      With all the different types of solar panels out there, it can be confusing determining which type of panel is best. Here is a brief rundown of the types:

Monocrystalline: A monocrystalline cell (AKA: Single Crystal Cell) is the most efficient of the available panel types. The type of silicon cell is determined by the process in which they are created. A silicon ingot is drawn slowly from a molten vat, using a process called the Czochralski method. This is what makes the silicon monocrystalline.  Without getting into too much chemistry, an almost perfect lattice is formed on the atomic level which allows the electrons to pass through with little or no interference, giving the mono cells the highest efficiency. Once the ingot is formed, it is sliced into a series of thin wafers which are the substrate of the solar cell.  Mono panels typically have an efficiency of 15-17%.  The highest of efficiency monocrystalline panels readily available to the public is about 20%. The main downside is due to the process of manufacturing the wafers, the cost can be expensive.

Polycrystalline: Similar to mono’s, polycrystalline cells are still made from silicon, but the process differs. Instead of the long, arduous, expensive process of creating a single crystal solar cell (where the ingot is drawn slowly from a vat), the molten silicon is poured into a cast and cooled with a seed crystal (a piece of crystalline material used to grow a larger crystal).  Unlike the mono atomic structure, the casting method doesnt create uniform lattices, hence bringing the overall efficiency down. Polycrystalline panels are typically 12-14% efficient.

Amorphous/Thin Film: Thin Film solar panels are the least efficient of the 3 types, coming in anywhere from 6-8%. The panels are made using a CVD process (chemical vapor deposition). The silicon is deposited typically on glass, however the atomic lattice structure is anything but organized. While this leads to better performance in low light and higher ambient temperatures, it also greatly reduces the cell efficiency.

So, you should always buy mono right? Am I wasting my money with lower efficiency panels?
      NO. This is the biggest misconception in the solar industry. $/watt is $/watt. That’s it.  While you may need almost twice the space for a thin film array to get the same wattage of a monocrystalline array, the cost per watt is what really matters

If I buy a 20,000W solar system, and i pay $1.00/watt for the panels, i am getting 20,000W of power for $20,000. It doesn’t matter if its thin film, mono, or poly. You are getting the exact same amount of power. The only difference will be the physical size of the array.

What would I recommend:
      Buy what works best for your situation. If you have the space and money is an issue, buy the best available deals out there right now. Really you’re paying for watts of power, that’s it.

I would also mention that thin film really should be lumped in its own category as its efficiency and cost is usually much lower than mono/poly. The difference between mono and poly in my opinion is negligible and can almost always be substituted for one another unless you are literally counting the millimeters and watts for your array. Thin film is ideal for low cost systems with no space limitations.

Keep the lights on
    • Strider167
      By Strider167
      Storage Batteries : the fuel tank of your solar power system

Without batteries to store energy you would only have power when the sun was shining or the generator was running. This tutorial describes the 4 basic types of batteries & provides some good tips on the care & feeding of your batteries to maximize their performance and life.

1)  RV or Marine type deep cycle batteries are basically for boats & campers and are suitable for only very small systems. They can be used but do not really have the capacity for continous service with many charge/discharge cycles for many years. Regular or Car type batteries should not be used at all because they cannot be discharged very much without internal damage. A very popular battery for small systems is the Golf Cart battery. They are somewhat more expensive than deep cycle recreational batteries but are probably the least expensive choice for a small system on a budget. (Also look at electric bike batteries)

Industrial strength : Flooded, Gel, and AGM sealed batteries

The next 3 types are the heavier industrial type batteries. They are all also considered Deep Cycle and are usually Lead Acid types with much thicker internal plates that can withstand many deep discharge cycles. These next 3 are all designed for alternative energy systems.

2) These are Lead acid batteries that have caps to add water. Many manufacturers make these types for Solar Energy use. Trojan, Surrette, and Deka are probably the most well known. They are reasonably priced and work well for many years. All flooded batteries release gas when charged and should not be used indoors. If installed in an enclosure, a venting system should be used to vent out the gases which can be explosive.

3) Not to be confused with maintenance free batteries, sealed gel batteries have no vents and will not release gas during the charging process like flooded batteries do. Venting is therefore not required and they can be used indoors. This is a big advantage because it allows the batteries to maintain a more constant temperature and perform better.

4) Absorbed Glass Mat batteries are in my opinion the best available for Solar Power use. A woven glass mat is used between the plates to hold the electrolyte. They are leak/spill proof, do not out gas when charging, and have superior performance. They have all the advantages of the sealed gel types and are higher quality, maintain voltage better, self discharge slower, and last longer. They are more expensive, but you usually get what you pay for. You will find this type of battery used in airplanes, hospitals, and remote telephone/cell tower installations.

Care and Feeding

As a technician, I used to say that if you are not comfortable, then neither is your equipment. I was mostly referring to temperature and humidity. In fact battery capacity ratings are usually specified at 77 degrees F or 25 degrees C. As batteries get colder their voltage drops and performance suffers. This is one major reason I prefer AGM batteries because they can be stored indoors where the temperatures vary less.

Another important thing to consider is how deeply you discharge your batteries. This is known as the DOD (depth of discharge). In other words, how low you let the voltage drop before the next charge cycle. Most battery ratings talk about 50% or so, but they will last longer if you keep them as charged as possible. I like the 80% range. Lead acid batteries like to be fully charged. They will last much longer if you do not discharge them too deeply. This is known as shallow cycling and greatly extends their life. However, they can withstand discharges down to 20% or so, but I wouldn't do it too often.

Next up is a post on Solar Panles.
      Keep the lights on.
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      I don't get it.

In the US, if you purchased a 5 Kilowatt diesel powered generator, the engine would turn at 1,800 RPMs. While doing research for diesel generators here in Cambodia, I am only finding that the smaller engines are running a around 3,000 RPMs, or faster. I don't get it. There is a huge difference between petrol / gasoline engines, and diesel engines.

Anyone on the site know why this is so? I mean, does it have anything to do with the quality of the engines they are putting behind these alternators to power them?
    • Snow Phan
      By Snow Phan
      Hi everyone!!!

Nice to join this forum . I'm from Vietnam and I want to learn about generator market in Cambodia. Can anyone help me??? Thank in advance

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.