dicey eye

More Changes in visa policy?

phuketrichard
16 hours ago, dicey eye said:

Just a quick update on visas. In Poipet there is a gov passport office.  Dropped my passport off, gave the immigration guy the one year EB visa fee, (US$310), a letter of employment and one passport size photo. That’s it, he sent the documents to Phnom Penh and called me several days later to come pick up my passport with the new one year visa. No hassles, no bureaucratic run-around.  Easy peezie.

All the hysterical horror stories posted on a number of expat forums concerning visa troubles have not hit me in the nine years I’ve been in Cambodia. The sky hasn’t fallen yet.

Maybe I’m just shit lucky.

yea, no problem cause ur legally employed, why would there be a hassle if u have all the correct docs??

andy

That is the key to success, having the correct documents to fit the criteria. What do immigration want? That now is the question. All you have to do is find the answers. But with so many visa rule change, and the lack of up to date written law it is a little difficult. (I also expect big changes again with visa regulation, until they write the law)  But there is help out there if you ask the questions at the relevant departments. Never understood why a westerner has not setup a visa agents. I have noticed lately when I have been collecting paperwork from different departments. Chinese using their own countrymen to do the agents work for them. Possibly why they will be so successful.  

Also a informative online site were I sometimes glance, Paul seems to be more regular, is Facebooks Cambodia Visa and Work Permit Group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/333901840112789/?ref=bookmarks 

• Like 1

John_Galt
5 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

yea, no problem cause ur legally employed, why would there be a hassle if u have all the correct docs??

Some places of employment dont have all the correct documents to employ foreigners yet. Which then makes it difficult to get all the correct documents. 

All the correct paperwork isn't that difficult to get it just takes some effort or cash. 

Parrothead
12 hours ago, andy said:

Also a informative online site were I sometimes glance, Paul seems to be more regular, is Facebooks Cambodia Visa and Work Permit Group

Some very well informed people, on that group. I just do not like Facebook, itself.

• Like 1

dicey eye
15 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

What I’ve noticed in the 35 yrs living away from US in 3rd World countries is that having proper documents and following the letter of the law doesn’t always get the desired results.

Bureaucrats in developing countries tend to interpret laws in a highly flexible manner – a manner that more times than not ends up benefitting the bureaucrat. So factoring in that slippery caveat merely having all the necessary documents does not necessarily mean you will end up with a visa, work permit, driver’s license, what-have-you.   

Proper criteria is in effect a highly elastic, even whimsical concept among 3rd world bureaucrats.

To the point: having all the necessary paperwork and adhering to the rules is wise but doesn’t guarantee results.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 2

Parrothead
13 minutes ago, dicey eye said:

Bureaucrats in developing countries tend to interpret laws in a highly flexible manner

Boy is that ever the truth!

andy
17 hours ago, John_Galt said:

Some places of employment dont have all the correct documents to employ foreigners yet. Which then makes it difficult to get all the correct documents. 

They should have if the documents are available for you to source yourself.

What correct document don't the employer's have?

17 hours ago, John_Galt said:

All the correct paperwork isn't that difficult to get it just takes some effort or cash.

Are you referring to your employer paying, or using the effort, or you having to do it yourself?

9 hours ago, Parrothead said:

Some very well informed people, on that group. I just do not like Facebook, itself. 

I too don't like Facebook. But you are right about the group. I see just lately it's also been hit and miss with people obtaining visas. 

John_Galt
1 hour ago, andy said:

They should have if the documents are available for you to source yourself.

What correct document don't the employer's have?

Some places have never bothered to apply for the foreign worker quota. So you cant get a Work permit through them. 

Some places dont even have the correct paperwork to even apply for a foreign worker quota. 

1 hour ago, andy said:

Are you referring to your employer paying, or using the effort, or you having to do it yourself?

Could be both I know some people have been told too bad go do it yourself and other employers have hired agents to process the paper work.

Where you only provide a copy of your passport and visa everything else is done for you.  

andy
1 hour ago, John_Galt said:

Some places have never bothered to apply for the foreign worker quota.

That doesn't seem logical if they are employing foreign workers.

Some places dont even have the correct paperwork to even apply for a foreign worker quota. 

Think it can now be done on line.

Could be both I know some people have been told too bad go do it yourself and other employers have hired agents to process the paper work.

Then best not work for them. If that is the case it's better to be self employed.

Where you only provide a copy of your passport and visa everything else is done for you.  

Now that is what I would expect.  

dicey eye

other employers have hired agents to process the paper work.

I was fortunate, my employer did everything. He assigned the task to the accountant.

• Like 1