3. Anaconda 1997

4. King Kong vs Godzilla 1962

5. Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness? 1969

• Like 2

andy
1 hour ago, dicey eye said:

Anaconda 1997

When You Can’t Breathe You Can't Scream

The movie was screened on April 11th 1997.

I didn’t get to the big screen cinemas too often, but I watched plenty of videos, on the small screen.

The time of the video age, seems so far away in the past.

I would rent videos from “Blockbuster” they had an outlet in most towns. Unfortunately, they were all closed down by the end of 2013.

Progress of new technology, it was now the time of DVD and Blue Ray.

The DVD of the film Anaconda was released January 20th 1998.

I may possibly have bought it after that date. I thought at the time, the film wasn’t that bad, in fact it had some good scenes. It had quite a good cast, Jennifer Lopez looking quite sexy, Ice Cube, Jon Voight, Eric Stoltz, Jonathan Hyde, Owen Wilson, Kari Wuhrer, Vincent Castellanos.

But the real star was Anaconda, the huge man-eating snake. The film could be just on the edge of being a classic.

• Like 2

John_Galt

I have seen Anaconda and Norbit, I also enjoy both movies. Going to download the others sound interesting. 

dicey eye

To clarify the criteria for the lousy factor in movies I look at the cumulative (collective) rating a film has on two highly respected indexes: Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb.

To be a stinker a film has to get lower than a 50% approval rating.

Therefore if a movie has a generally low approval rating and I still find it enjoyable it automatically becomes a “Guilty Pleasure”.

For 28 years I supplemented my income as film and theater critic for several newspapers and journals in three countries.

I wrote a glowing, positive review for Anaconda when it first was released. Many readers and other critics took me to task over what they called my “lowbrow” tastes. Sure J-Lo is gorgeous but to be diplomatic her acting range is rather limited; wooden even. And at the other end of the spectrum, John Voight did an outrageous turn of over-acting in his villain role. That acknowledged they fit in nicely to the bubblegum, comic book style of the movie. I was definitely in the minority with this film. IMDb gave it a horrible 4.7%  rating and Rotten Tomatoes gave it a dismal 39% approval rating.

Sure it was predictable and illogical but a fun way to spend 1 hour and 29 minutes.

Edited by dicey eye

andy
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, dicey eye said:

I was definitely in the minority with this film. IMDb gave it a horrible 4.7%  rating and Rotten Tomatoes gave it a dismal 39% approval rating.

Sure it was predictable and illogical but a fun way to spend 1 hour and 29 minutes.

I agree with you there dicey, the film had bad reviews. But!

The film opened at #1 with $16.6 million in its first weekend and remained at the top spot in its following week. In total, Anaconda went on to gross $136.8 million worldwide, making it a sizable box office success more than recouping its $45 million budget.

dicey eye

Two more guilty pleasures:

can you tell which movies from the photos?

Eye Splinter -.jpg

guilty pleasure 2.jpg

John_Galt

Is the second one Weekend at Bernie's? 

dicey eye
2 hours ago, John_Galt said:

Is the second one Weekend at Bernie's? 

Close but no cigar. Is Weekend at Bernie's Part 2 - released 1993. Terry Kiser as dead Bernie should have gotten a Best Supporting Actor Oscar. Tickled my funny-bone.

• Like 1

syzmic

The funniest thing I've ever seen in a movie is the water skiing scene. (I think that was in #1.)  I thought I was gonna die.  I was laughing so hard that I couldn't breathe.  I nearly passed out.

John_Galt
1 hour ago, dicey eye said:

Close but no cigar. Is Weekend at Bernie's Part 2 - released 1993. Terry Kiser as dead Bernie should have gotten a Best Supporting Actor Oscar. Tickled my funny-bone.

Well I was close I will have to watch those movies soon. They were funny.