andy

The royal wedding

andy

The royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

wedCapture.PNG.f575a30891cc5b4c4d2fe435704527a2.PNG

Congratulations too them both

It seems Prince Harry has taken on his late mothers charity work.

At Kensington Palace in London on 4 April 2017, International Mine Awareness Day, HRH Prince Harry launched the Landmine Free 2025 campaign in front of an audience of government ministers, donors to mine action and the international media.

Princess Diana campaign to clear landmines from war zones

PRINCESS Diana’s campaign to clear landmines from war zones is to be boosted by extra British aid funding, the Government has announced.

International Development Secretary Penny Mordaunt’s extra cash pledge comes on top of £100 million previously announced over three years at an event supported by the late Princess of Wales’ son Prince Harry earlier this year.

The Department for International Development has vowed to match more than £200,000 donations given by the British public to the Mine Advisory Group’s Walk Without Fear. (date- December 2017)

Cambodia

Although 50% of Cambodia’s minefields have now been cleared Cambodia is still one of the most landmine impacted countries in the world with over 64,000 casualties recorded since 1979 and over 25,000 amputees - the highest ratio per capita in the world.

More than 80% of the total population live in rural areas, in communities dependent on agriculture. Northwest Cambodia has seen a 35% population increase since hostilities ceased and this rapid population growth has meant these areas represent a very high relative percentage of the national total of mine accidents.

Despite a reduction in casualty numbers over recent years, Cambodia’s mine and explosive problem is still a major impediment to the social and economic development of the country. The landmine threat is now largely concentrated in just 21 border districts in the rural north-west of Cambodia. It prevents development by hindering access to land, water sources, roads and health services and it imposes financial and emotional hardship on families needing to care for a landmine survivor.

(extracts from Halo, and media source)

Parrothead

While I have the utmost respect for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, I have little use for Meghan. 

Correct me if I am wrong here, @andy. But, I have seen a number of Royals marry what I guess would be called Commoners. When did it change, if ever, where Royals could only marry other Royals? 

andy
21 hours ago, Parrothead said:

While I have the utmost respect for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, I have little use for Meghan. 

Born 21 Apr 1926 now at 92 years of age. The Queen has ruled for longer than any other Monarch in British history, becoming a much loved and respected figure across the globe.

21 hours ago, Parrothead said:

Correct me if I am wrong here, @andy. But, I have seen a number of Royals marry what I guess would be called Commoners. When did it change, if ever, where Royals could only marry other Royals? 

Paul a commoner “common person” someone without a title, just like me and you. In saying that, it almost, includes everyone, even if they were to come from a noble family.

The Royal Marriages Act 1772 was an act of the Parliament of Great Britain, which prescribed the conditions under which members of the British royal family could contract a valid marriage. There is no restriction on a royal marrying a commoner. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Marriages_Act_1772

Diana, Princess of Wales

Diana's father was an Earl, so she was called "Lady Diana," but technically, she had no title of her own.

Diana had married at the age of 20 to Prince Charles, heir to the British throne, and took the title Princess of Wales on July 29, 1981.

Diana, devoted a great part of her time to help in charity causes, especially landmine clearance, around the world.

Over 20 years now. August 1997, Princess Diana highlighted the issue of landmines. At the end of the Bosnian conflict she visited the Country, and the many victims who were maimed by mines. This was to be her last official foreign trip. Sadly, only weeks later she was killed, a fatal car crash in Paris.

Four months later, 122 countries signed the Mine Ban Treaty, outlawing use of anti-personnel landmines. Her legacy seemed set.

I respect, the work carried out by the Royal family members, but mostly of what progress they have achieved, especially of Diana, with her dedication, issues and concerns, regarding the clearance of landmines in the worlds past conflict areas.

• Like 2

Parrothead
4 hours ago, andy said:

Born 21 Apr 1926 now at 92 years of age. The Queen has ruled for longer than any other Monarch in British history, becoming a much loved and respected figure across the globe.

Oh, trust me. As a yank, it may actually shock you as to how much I personally know about Her Majesty. And, I would dare say THE single most respected person on this planet. 

• Like 2

Oz Jon
2 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Oh, trust me. As a yank, it may actually shock you as to how much I personally know about Her Majesty. And, I would dare say THE single most respected person on this planet. 

Absolutely! - She is going to be a hard act to follow!

• Like 1

Parrothead
24 minutes ago, Oz Jon said:

Absolutely! - She is going to be a hard act to follow!

I don't see it happening anytime soon. It damned sure will not happen in my lifetime, probably a couple / few lifetimes. 

andy
7 hours ago, Parrothead said:

I don't see it happening anytime soon.

The Queens son Charles, Prince of Wales is next in line for the British throne. Would you not think that, Charles on his succession, would reign well after his mother.

There are lots of writings about Charles, good and bad. 

In defence of Prince Charles - a man who wants to do monarchy properly

As Tom Bower's new biography of the Prince of Wales attacks his pampered petulance, Penny Junor stands up for the misunderstood man who will be king.

When he came out of the Navy, against all advice, he used his naval allowance to start a charity to help disadvantaged young people get a start in life.

Since then, The Prince’s Trust has helped no less than 870,000 people – and a recent independent audit found that in the past 10 years the overall benefit to society from that has been worth £1.4billion.

The new Prince’s Foundation, which includes Dumfries House Estate in Scotland, now employs more than 200 people in one of the most depressed parts of the country.

Last year alone, the Prince’s charities raised £170million.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-biography-attacks-prince-charles-12222684

Parrothead
3 minutes ago, andy said:

The Queens son Charles, Prince of Wales is next in line for the British throne. Would you not think that, Charles on his succession, would reign well after his mother.

There are lots of writings about Charles, good and bad. 

Prince Charles will never have the respect his mother has gained in her life time, not a small portion of it. Personally, he would be better off abdicating his right to succession. Either of his sons is respected more than he, I believe.

andy
3 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Prince Charles will never have the respect his mother has gained in her life time, not a small portion of it. Personally, he would be better off abdicating his right to succession. Either of his sons is respected more than he, I believe.

We will have to see. Not just to talk of him has the queens son. But Charles as certainly been a strong royal in his own right, and a help to the queen over many years of duty. He himself working too with his own duties, fundraising and charity work, with good benefits to the people. 

Parrothead
9 minutes ago, andy said:

We will have to see. Not just to talk of him has the queens son.

That's honestly irrelevant, as far as I am concerned. Either way, he would never be nearly as good at being the King, as Her Majesty is at being Queen.

Long live the Queen!