Parrothead

Holy Cow! The cost of them now!

Parrothead

@syzmic & @Oz Jon,

I mentioned 3-500z tubes in an old linear I used to own as a teen. Obviously, having too much time on my hands, I did a quick search on them. Some guy has two of them, in unopened boxes, for sale on eBay. You won't believe the price he has listed for them!

3-500z.png

• Like 2

syzmic

Cool beans.  And only $140 for shipping?

HE'S ALMOST GIVING THEM AWAY!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Oz Jon

I've got a box with maybe a dozen 7C7 pentodes* in it somewhere. We are moving soon - maybe I'll find them in the move.

Not in the 3-500 class, but probably now worth a couple of hundred bucks for a box full.

*How times changes - the spell checker has never heard of a pentode and flags it as a spelling error! - Lol!

• Like 1

syzmic

A lot of the old vacuum tubes are worth big money.  I think Russia is the only  country that still manufactures them and that is on a very small scale, mostly for their own consumption. (At least that's what I heard a few years ago.)  

I  inherited a bunch of old-new stock tubes when my father passed in 1999.  There were a bunch of them (several dozen) that were military spec that were worth over $100 each.  I think my father purchased them from someone going out of business.  He probably only paid 25  cents for them.

• Like 2

andy

Is this the one? eBay UK. But China again :)

bCapture.thumb.PNG.6da47ed06332412e72c16b60fe48d130.PNG

mollydooker

Hmmmmm ....seems a very large difference in price if the exact same product ??

Parrothead
7 hours ago, andy said:

Is this the one? eBay UK. But China again :)

bCapture.thumb.PNG.6da47ed06332412e72c16b60fe48d130.PNG

6 hours ago, mollydooker said:

Hmmmmm ....seems a very large difference in price if the exact same product ??

That is a 3-500Z tube, plugged into a tube socket. The socket would be connected directly to the board inside the amplifier. The price is not for the tube, but for the socket to plug it into. If you didn't have the socket to plug the tube into, you would have to solder the pins of the tube directly to the board.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

andy
1 hour ago, Parrothead said:

That is a 3-500Z tube, plugged into a tube socket. The socket would be connected directly to the board inside the amplifier. The price is not for the tube, but for the socket to plug it into. If you didn't have the socket to plug the tube into, you would have to solder the pins of the tube directly to the board.

Wow! Didn't see that. Unless you were looking for a socket too. And the bigger WoW is the price of the now combined items.

$794.34 with postage.

• Funny 1

Parrothead
2 hours ago, andy said:

Wow! Didn't see that. Unless you were looking for a socket too. And the bigger WoW is the price of the now combined items.

$794.34 with postage.

Here is the kicker. The entire amplifier, WITH the 3-500z's installed, wouldn't have cost that much, or certainly not much more, back when it was new!