Oz Jon

Parrothead's mysterious signature?

Oz Jon

Paul,

Not sure if it's wise to ask - but I will anyway!

What is the meaning of those mysterious blue Chinese/Japanese characters at the bottom of your posts?

Inquiring minds want to know!

• Like 1

Read2Learn

It is Chinese =

Please forgive me for not speaking English!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Read2Learn

or it could be Please forgive my English 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Parrothead

It was a post by a Chinese member of a computer forum (one of several) that I am on. I just liked the reply, in the context it was posted in a particular thread. 

But, yes. It basically means "Please forgive me for not speaking English."

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Oz Jon

OK - Capito!

Maybe you should have written it in American! - Lol!

• Funny 1

Parrothead
1 minute ago, Oz Jon said:

OK - Capito!

Maybe you should have written it in American! - Lol!

Finally! Someone who realizes American is a proper language. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

JohnOBohn

American English IS the major language in the business, internation community.    Chinese may possibly be spoken by more people, but only because there are some 1 billion plus chinese

Englands English does not exist anymore.     As there is no longer an England.     It has been ""The United Kingdom"  for many years. 

Go to any country and listen to the type of English spoken.    It is from America.  

School requirements for  Native English Speakers in every country in the world want teachers that speak American English.

Oz Jon
37 minutes ago, JohnOBohn said:

American English IS the major language in the business, internation community. ......

Go to any country and listen to the type of English spoken.    It is from America.   

You are right John ... American version of English now dominates the world.

We are fighting a rearguard action in Oz though - Sill plenty of Oz version English around, with a bit of American thrown in.

Unfortunately, poor grammar, poor spelling, misuse of words and misunderstanding of the meaning of words are all commonplace.

Frequently I read sentences that actually have no meaning - they just suggest a meaning.

Clear thinking and precision in writing are nearly dead - what a shame!

A sad fate for a great language, capable of expressing such subtly of meaning and precision !

Sorry guys - just the ravings of an old man - a wordsmith - and proud of it! ....."my bad?"

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Thanks 1

Parrothead
33 minutes ago, Oz Jon said:

Unfortunately, poor grammar, poor spelling, misuse of words and misunderstanding of the meaning of words are all commonplace.

The poor use of grammar drives me nuts. While I am certainly no English scholar, I do try to proof read my communications prior to sending an email, posting a reply on a forum, or writing a message on other social media. The  improper use of "your" and "you're" is pure ignorance. Another is the misuse of "there", "they're", and "there". What makes it worse is, if someone has access to post such messages on the internet, they damned sure have the ability to take a moment and search for the proper word or term, prior to using them in a message. Otherwise, it makes them appear ignorant and uneducated.

Chan, having only successfully achieved the level of 8th grade, here in Cambodia, always makes it a point to ask me for assistance, if she runs into an issue regarding spelling or grammar. She took it upon herself to learn to read and write English, after becoming an adult. Sadly, many of the people I see making grammatical and spelling errors, often have graduated college AND are native English speakers!! The worst abuse I have witnessed, is on sites like Facebook and Twitter.

• Like 2

Oz Jon

Thank you Paul!

You to, too, two are a wordsmith! .... A pleasure to read most of your outpourings!

Not just another raving old man! - Lol!

• Funny 1