andy
2 minutes ago, luvthai2003 said:

Asia... You gotta love it. I surely do. I'll be 64 in June and my VA disability is $1100/month. And I don't have a ton of money in the bank. For that, I'm excluded from a retirement visa in Thailand. I'm hoping Cambodia doesn't follow suit. 

So you have no problem on the age for retirement visa ER. But first time applicants, may have to show proof of their retirements and funding's from their own country. You also have this. A letter may also be required, stating that you will not do any work.

Has for Thailand I would say possibly so. Who have the Khmers got to follow. Also there are not only the Cambodian laws, but there is the ASEAN laws too. (anyone please quote me, if you would think this not correct, about the involvement of ASEAN) I did look at the possibilities, when looking at their involvement of tax law here.  

Parrothead
2 hours ago, luvthai2003 said:

Asia... You gotta love it. I surely do. I'll be 64 in June and my VA disability is $1100/month. And I don't have a ton of money in the bank. For that, I'm excluded from a retirement visa in Thailand. I'm hoping Cambodia doesn't follow suit. 

I originally lived here under the EB (Business Visa). I've only had an ER (Retirement Visa) since August of last year, actually. The age requirement was supposed to be 55. However, I know guys as young as 48, who have been issued an ER, myself included - I'm 51. 

1 hour ago, andy said:

So you have no problem on the age for retirement visa ER. But first time applicants, may have to show proof of their retirements and funding's from their own country. You also have this. A letter may also be required, stating that you will not do any work.

Has for Thailand I would say possibly so. Who have the Khmers got to follow. Also there are not only the Cambodian laws, but there is the ASEAN laws too. (anyone please quote me, if you would think this not correct, about the involvement of ASEAN) I did look at the possibilities, when looking at their involvement of tax law here.  

American citizens, I learned from a guy in Phnom Penh, can get some sort of "proof of retirement" document and print it out to send to immigration. This document can be downloaded from the SSA website, if memory serves? Perhaps, in @luvthai2003's situation, he can do similarly, concerning the VA?

phuketrichard

Thai immigration accepts this letter for retirement extension,   NOT send, must present in person>>>

When u get it from the embassy or the outreach program the officials ONLY notarize that the signature is urs.

NOT the amount you claim

You can do a combo method ,  your pension ( $1,100= 35,200 baht/month) = 422,000 baht/year an than u need put in thai bank 388,000 baht

Personally, i far prefer living here than Cambodia, although i love visiting Cambodia once/year or so...

lived there in 08/09  ....

income-verification-affidavit-bkk-2018.pdf

• Like 1

andy
10 hours ago, Parrothead said:

I've only had an ER (Retirement Visa) since August of last year, actually. The age requirement was supposed to be 55. However, I know guys as young as 48, who have been issued an ER, myself included - I'm 51. 

This is correct what Paul has quoted. You can get a ER EOS under the official age of retirement, it is stated at 55 years and above.

First time applicants of the retirement age, are to show proof of their retirement. (officially). Sometimes it seems this is also discretion of the agent, and differs from agents and provinces. And sometimes the age.

Under the age like Paul (quote above). Show proof of retirement. Or unofficially some type of self support (savings, earnings).

Had a young guy of 31 come to the bar, he held the ER visa. He had just transferred $450.000 into his ABA account. :D 

• Like 1

Parrothead
3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

... u need put in thai bank 388,000 baht

YOU may trust a Thai bank with a deposit of over $12,000 USD. But, there is NO WAY in hell that I would. 

35 minutes ago, andy said:

Or unofficially some type of self support (savings, earnings).

I wasn't sure how much to show Cambodian Immigration, as far as monthly income goes. So, I showed something like deposits of $2,000 USD, over the previous three months. I don't want to show them too much money, and certainly not too little.

He had just transferred $450.000 into his ABA account.

I wouldn't trust a Cambodian bank with anything near this amount, either.

Parrothead

Show proof of retirement.

I've been curious about this, since I first saw it mentioned somewhere early on. How can you "prove" you are retired? In my case, I have been retired for ages. If it is a confirmation letter they need, I was self employed. So, would I've had to write my own confirmation letter, showing I was retired? :D

syzmic
43 minutes ago, andy said:

And sometimes the age.

THIS

I'm in my 70's,  all I did was pay them for it...

• Happy 1

Parrothead
11 minutes ago, syzmic said:

THIS

I'm in my 70's,  all I did was pay them for it...

Another old codger in the group. By chatting with you in the past, I would have taken you for a much younger fella. :D:D

• Like 1

andy
1 hour ago, Parrothead said:

I've been curious about this, since I first saw it mentioned somewhere early on. How can you "prove" you are retired?

That would be easy to prove. If you were to receive pension from Government or private/personal, you would have received notification by letter at the start of payments of pension monies. If documentation is lost, it would be easy for the payers of the pension to confirm your situation.  Again if regular monthly payments, would show the pension sender on bank payments. 

Parrothead
1 hour ago, andy said:

That would be easy to prove. If you were to receive pension from Government or private/personal, you would have received notification by letter at the start of payments of pension monies. If documentation is lost, it would be easy for the payers of the pension to confirm your situation.  Again if regular monthly payments, would show the pension sender on bank payments. 

Well, maybe so. But, I have no idea how I would have ever proven it, having owned my own company and having a self-funded pension. The only way I can come up with, would be to show how much is sent to my account each month, from the annuity. 

But, it isn't a pension. It's interest earned from an annuity.

• Like 1