andy
2 hours ago, Oz Jon said:

Am I correct in my understanding that a tourist (with no intention/interest of working) who wants to stay for 5.9 months (with occasional trips to other countries too) can still get a multi-entry "business" visa on arrival and can get it extended to 6 months, either on arrival, or through an agent later?

No! 

You can get a EB visa (business, or as it was Known ordinary). This visa is available to anyone entering Cambodia.  

The visa is for one month. It then can be extended for 1 to 12 months. Known as EB EOS (Extension of stay).

The purpose of the visa is "You are going to work". Ether - your own business or work for someone.

Applying for the extension of the EB visa. EB EOS. You have to be employed or business owner.

3 hours ago, Oz Jon said:

No other paperwork needed?

1. If employed have a WP "work permit". Also a employment letter from the company or organisation.

2. Business owner, you need the documents -  Business licence. Tax patent. WP "work permit". Employment letter (this is wrote from yourself explaining, how long the business as run, and your intentions). Also helpful is a Residency Order, also know as a "Permit of Stay", obtained from the Sangkat - Police.

EB EOS  1 or 3 months, application with WP and employment letter.

EB EOS 6 or 12 months, No need to show WP. But employment letter.

The EB EOS can be applied for and obtained from the immigration in Phnom Penh. Or via an Agent. (on providing all documentation what is required).

3 hours ago, Oz Jon said:

If not, how can this be achieved with minimum effort?

You could "Enter the Country" obtaining first the EB visa  (business, or as it was Known ordinary). Then when you wish to renew this for a visa extension.

You can apply for a ER EOS (Retirement). Depending on circumstances! Proof of Retirement.

Age 55 plus years is stated has the official age, for obtaining this type of visa.

But, the ER EOS is available for applicants under this age with proof.

All first time applications, (no mater what age), are required to show proof of their retirement. This could be the following, for example (letter from retirement company, monies paid to your retirement fund, or copy of bank statements.

Second year applicants (as of now! until possible change). Over 55 no proof required. Under 55 proof required.

Also you could "Enter the Country" obtaining first the EB visa  (business, or as it was Known ordinary).

Then when you wish to renew this for a visa extension. You can apply for the EG EOS. Valid for up to 6 months. (One time only).  

This EG EOS purpose, is for the applicant to look for employment or a business of your own. Note : You can't work on the EG EOS.

If you found work, you would then have to apply for a EB EOS.

Tourist visa on entry of the country. TR visa. Valid for one month.

TR EOS extensions for this visa, can be extended by an agent in the country for one month only. 

• Thanks 1

Oz Jon

Thank you guys ... it's all a bit too complicated for my liking!

I think my best bet is to just get a tourist visa on arrival (extend it if necessary) and another one every time I re-enter the country after a trip to a nearby country.

Maybe cost a bit more, but simple! - I like simple! and the lack of paper work and bureaucracy (which I don't like!)

I have no interest in working and I don't want to get involved with proving that I'm retired (pretty common for 83 year olds- Lol!) nor demonstrating my ability to support myself financially - I can - and I know that! ... with tourist visas, not a problem - cash in my pocket is enough!

Cheers

andy
16 minutes ago, Oz Jon said:

I think my best bet is to just get a tourist visa on arrival (extend it if necessary) and another one every time I re-enter the country after a trip to a nearby country.

Yes! Possibly. The Tourist visa (TR) is valid for one month on entry. Then once in the country you can apply for a Tourist visa extension. Know as a Tourist extension of stay. TR EOS. Only available, and valid for one month.

Doing it this way (like you have quote) would give you a overall period of two months (60 days) in the country, but then you must leave.

32 minutes ago, Oz Jon said:

Maybe cost a bit more, but simple! - I like simple! and the lack of paper work and bureaucracy (which I don't like!)

The cost involved Oz Jon is no different from the cost of the other visas and their extensions of stay.

The shorter EOS's, for example over a year period - Tourist visa (TR) Entry one visa stamp. One TR EOS. = Two pages in your passport. So one year would take up twelve stamps (6 visas +6 EOS) =  twelve pages in your passport.

The other EOS's depending on period (length required for your stay). One stamp. So again, enter on a EB visa One stamp, then apply for any EOS. One stamp. = Two pages in your passport.

Enter the country and obtain the EB visa. One stamp one page in your passport. With the EB visa, than you can apply for your extension of stay EOS. One of a choice. -

EG EOS 1 to 6 months available. (But one time offer).

EB EOS 1 to 12  months available (only with work permit, and required documents).  

ER EOS 1 to 12  months available (only with proof of retirement).

• Thanks 1

phuketrichard

the biggest expense than is getting visas for the next country every 60  days

Laos; $25-40 per entry,depends on passport

Thailand ; 2 FREE visa exempt land entries/calendar year ,than u either must fly in or buy a tourist visa for $40

Vietnam;. No idea but depends on Passport

Camboida visa extension for tourist visa is $45... so $75 for 2 months

One TR EOS. = Two pages in your passport. So one year would take up twelve stamps (6 visas +6 EOS) =  twelve pages in your passport. 

PLUS entry/ exit stamp each time  1/2 page.... PLUS  entry exit stamp for next country and maybe a full page visa and entry exit stamp

• Thanks 2

andy
6 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Camboida visa extension for tourist visa is $45... so $75 for 2 months

Thank you Richard. I was unaware of the price of the tourist visa extension. I based the cost being the same as the entry visa.

I don't think I would want to do this country on tourist visa's. I know of some who had just done this (when the change came for the EB EOS). Last one said to me "Cambodia doesn't want me now". He was a regular at my bar! That is to say, when he was back in town from his travels. In the end he put his monies in the bank and retired in Thailand.

Sounded good to me with what he would tell me, of the countries he visited (for a young man whom enjoys travel). I have travelled in the past, just now! I want to be settled.

Even so Oz Jon quoted the cost but wants simple without bureaucracy.

7 hours ago, Oz Jon said:

This would be the most easy way for a seven month stay. Price should be just less then $200. 

Enter the country and obtain the EB visa. One stamp one page in your passport, then once in the country, apply with an agent for a EG EOS 6 months.  

Parrothead
2 hours ago, andy said:

I don't think I would want to do this country on tourist visa's. I know of some who had just done this (when the change came for the EB EOS). Last one said to me "Cambodia doesn't want me now". He was a regular at my bar! That is to say, when he was back in town from his travels. In the end he put his monies in the bank and retired in Thailand.

Why did he not try to secure a retirement visa here, then? That would have been the easiest thing for him to do.

2 hours ago, andy said:

I want to be settled.

I agree. I am at the point in my life, where I am growing weary from bouncing around from country to country, traveling. While I have certainly enjoyed my travels, I am ready to stay put.

andy
13 hours ago, Parrothead said:

Why did he not try to secure a retirement visa here, then? That would have been the easiest thing for him to do.

Unfortunately for him being under 55. He was one of who knows how many whom, had been refused. Even with paperwork, and close to the age being 51. 

He had, EBs for years and had to get an EG, lots of TRs. Healthy bank account. Tried twice at different times for ER with two agents, no luck.  

• Thanks 1

Parrothead
2 hours ago, andy said:

Unfortunately for him being under 55. He was one of who knows how many whom, had been refused. Even with paperwork, and close to the age being 51. 

He had, EBs for years and had to get an EG, lots of TRs. Healthy bank account. Tried twice at different times for ER with two agents, no luck.  

Can't help but wonder why that happened. I know of guys as young as their late 40's, who have been approved. Even you mentioned a guy in his 30's, who was approved. But, after having deposited more money that I would EVER consider, in a Cambodian bank account. 

andy
2 hours ago, Parrothead said:

Can't help but wonder why that happened. I know of guys as young as their late 40's, who have been approved. Even you mentioned a guy in his 30's, who was approved

Yes! I don't understand too. But we are were we are.

2 hours ago, Parrothead said:

having deposited more money that I would EVER consider, in a Cambodian bank account. 

I don't see your worries there Paul. I had posted on another thread about the ABA. Same protection as western bank.

Their is something I have asked before? What about the legal side of retirement in Cambodia?

When I was in England lately I had a private pension mature. I could take 25% of it tax free. But the remainder is taxed (at source). But with living outside the country it is taxed at a higher rate. The tax rate can be up to 40% depending on what part of the world you are residing.

I have also looked at the tax situation here! But come up blank. Not for the lack of trying, looking at the laws of Cambodia and Asean law, where the latter Asean has an impact. Thailand is straight forward for my nationality. All laws and taxation are in place.

Such as tax on the pension and its rate, but also a double taxation agreement with my country too.

Another is the state pensions, meaning different laws for countries you may retire. Example UK retirees in Europe country's, no problems. Commonwealth country's the pension is frozen, this means you receive it, but it will not rise with inflation. So staying the same rate has when you get the first payment. It also may have been tax free, at home and some country's. But taxable depending where in the world you reside.

Also there are country's you can't receive the pension.    

Edited by andy
add

Parrothead
2 hours ago, andy said:

Same protection as western bank.

You ever had a large, or even a small amount of money an a bank in SEA to close its doors, later getting all of it back? I know people who have lost a ton of money in foreign banks. Hell, I barely trust the ones in the US. 

• Like 2