luvthai2003

So, if I want to live in Cambodia long term, at least a year or more and don't want to hassle leaving the country for visa renewals, which should I ask for when arriving at the airport and going through customs? I'll be leaving California with just a renewed passport and no visa for Cambodia.

andy
56 minutes ago, luvthai2003 said:

So, if I want to live in Cambodia long term, at least a year or more and don't want to hassle leaving the country for visa renewals, which should I ask for when arriving at the airport and going through customs? I'll be leaving California with just a renewed passport and no visa for Cambodia.

What long term visa would you apply for? EB Business or ER Retirement.

Parrothead
3 hours ago, andy said:

What long term visa would you apply for? EB Business or ER Retirement.

4 hours ago, luvthai2003 said:

Andy, he won't have a choice between an EB and ER. He will simply request an "Ordinary Visa" after landing at the airport, which is a EB, I suppose? (Or, maybe it becomes an EB or ER, upon doing your first EOS?) 

Anyway, within your first month in country, apply for an ER (retirement) EOS, which will automatically convert your visa from an "Ordinary", to the ER. 

• Like 1

Parrothead
4 hours ago, luvthai2003 said:

I'll be leaving California with just a renewed passport and no visa for Cambodia.

Just curious here. When you applied for your new passport, did you opt for the additional pages? (The little tick box at the top of the form?)

phuketrichard

when u arrive make sure u have the box  "ordinary" visa checked, pay $35 than u can extend for 1,3,6 or 12 months IF you QUALIFY for the extension.

Not everyone can/does

• Like 1

andy
7 hours ago, Parrothead said:

Andy, he won't have a choice between an EB and ER. He will simply request an "Ordinary Visa" after landing at the airport, which is a EB, I suppose? (Or, maybe it becomes an EB or ER, upon doing your first EOS?) 

I do know this Paul. Yes the entry visa still would be a EB visa, valid for one month. Then the choice EB or ER, upon doing your first EOS of up to one year.

I was only asking the OP luvthai2003 his intentions. Being that he said in his post "if I want to live in Cambodia long term, at least a year or more and don't want to hassle leaving the country for visa renewals". His initial Question, " which should I ask for when arriving at the airport and going through customs?". 

Doesn't matter! To prepare for the long term extension of stay (EOS). It has to be the EB visa. The only other visa available in this case is a Tourist visa for one month and only renewable for one month more. The alternative is upon entry require the EB entry visa and then apply for the (one time only) six month EG EOS. This way gives the OP seven months stay overall , then think again what EOS EB or ER to apply for after that. By this time there maybe another change, to the applications of EOS. Or maybe not.

6 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

when u arrive make sure u have the box  "ordinary" visa checked, pay $35 than u can extend for 1,3,6 or 12 months IF you QUALIFY for the extension.

Not everyone can/does

Richard has a very valid point. Depending on factors of paperwork for ether EOS extension required, age to qualify for ER. 55 years without proof of retirement, under the age, show proof. There as been talk and speculation for this to change. Like the EB requirements have recently got more strict.

luvthai2003 it would be worth look at these sites for more reading and clarification.

http://www.movetocambodia.com/planning-your-move-to-cambodia/cambodia-visas/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/333901840112789

Parrothead
8 minutes ago, andy said:

I do know this Paul.

Well, I wasn't 100% sure. Hence the reason for the question marks, rather than hard stops, in my sentences. 

• Funny 1

andy
9 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Well, I wasn't 100% sure. Hence the reason for the question marks, rather than hard stops, in my sentences. 

You where right in what you explained on the visa. I was just asking the OP his intentions to quote the needs of the choice of the three EOS available.

• Like 1

luvthai2003

Paul, I just went with the standard issue passport. Other than a sanity break to another country every six months to one year, I really won't be doing all that much traveling.

• Thanks 1

luvthai2003

Asia... You gotta love it. I surely do. I'll be 64 in June and my VA disability is $1100/month. And I don't have a ton of money in the bank. For that, I'm excluded from a retirement visa in Thailand. I'm hoping Cambodia doesn't follow suit.