Parrothead

You may have noticed something new in posts, since we upgraded to v4 of the IPB software. That new addition, is Acronym Expansion. You will notice a dotted line under acronyms / initials, like IPS, for example, the creators of the IPB software. If you mouse over these various groups of letters, a popup window will show you the expanded meaning of those initials, in case you may not be familiar with them. I will try to add more of these, as they come to mind, or as I see them in various posts on the site. If you have any you would like to see added, just let me know. Here are a few I have added, which some of you may find useful:

EOS, FWCMS, COLA, DOB, NGO, FUBAR, PPPPPPPSFA, FFS, YMMV, etc. 

For some of us who appreciate electronics, computers and such, AC, DC, SPST, SPDT, NiFe, NiCd, AHFLA, GUIWiFi, WAN, LAN, SWR, EER, BTU, BTUh, etc. 

I have also added some cities in Cambodia, PP, SR, BTB, and SHV.

Lastly, I have added various currencies and miscellaneous other acronyms. I have 104 acronyms, currently. Always adding more, as time permits.

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 2

andy
12 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

You may have noticed something new in posts, since we upgraded to v4 of the IPB software. That new addition, is Acronym Expansion. You will notice a dotted line under acronyms / initials, like IPS, for example

Yes I had noticed! I had been trying to correct my last post for so long, I can't remember. Silly me :(

And I thought I was getting to grips with the new site. Good of you Paul, to put in tips.

• Thanks 1

Parrothead
1 minute ago, andy said:

Good of you Paul, to put in tips.

I get a fair number of questions via PM and email, and have for many years, from members who may not understand the workings of IPB forum software. (I have been using it since 2006, for my own forums. But, was staff on earlier versions back to 1999, or so?) That, coupled with the fact that forums experience major changes over the years, (IPB for example, has changed a HELL of a lot since its early beginnings), can make it somewhat difficult for those members. So, I have always tried to help make adapting to the new format, as painless and as easy as possible, for them. 

Now that someone else officially owns this site, I feel I have a load off my mind. I now have more fun adding features, attempting to make it as easy as possible for its members. And, @John_Galt, so far anyway, seems okay with those changes. Of course, we communicate fairly regularly, regarding various changes to the site, prior to them being implemented. I don't want to overstep my bounds, only wish to help a friend keep his forum running as efficiently, and as user friendly as it can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

John_Galt
2 hours ago, Parrothead said:

only wish to help a friend keep his forum running as efficiently, and as user friendly as it can.

And thanks again for helping so much. 

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      This tutorial will show you how to add images to a post. Doing so is pretty easy in this version of IPB. 

1. Click to create a new topic, in any forum on this site.

2. Now, you have one of two ways to attach images to your post. (Actually, three. But, that can be discussed later.)
      You can open the folder where the image is located. Click and hold the image, then drop it directly into the text box. In this example, I have the image on the desktop.

You can drop the image below the text box, where it states, "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." (NOTE: Make sure your mouse is located within the text box, where you wish your image to be added.)

Click the small + sign in order to add the image to your post.  
      3. Finish by adding your message to the text box, and clicking "Submit Topic". All done.

As always, if you have any questions regarding this tutorial, please feel free to post below, or send me a message via PM. 
      @mollydooker
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      @Oz Jon, I was informed today that Cootel was going to move tower locations (READ: already had moved), thus causing the signal to drop at the farm. We are talking a serious drop in signal, so much that they suggested we discontinue the service with them. My thread regarding our Cootel service.

Fortunately, I had already begun to cover all my bases, by contacting the omnidirectional antenna manufacturer, via email, for price and availability on a yagi antenna offering similar specs (frequency range, impedance, etc.). And, I have been discussing with you, the possibly sending the signal from my apartment in the city, to the farm, as well.

Anyway, below is the specs sheet for the omni, which I sent to him. He, quite obviously, did not read the subject line of the email, or the specs sheet, aside from the model number of the antenna. 

Here are a couple of the (several) PDFs he sent to me:

TDJ-1900ACY7.pdf
      TDJ-1900SP10.pdf

Keep in mind, I was quite clear in the frequency range I needed, which was stated in the subject line, as well as on the specs sheet.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Another pretty straight forward tutorial, showing you how you may add an avatar to your account, using an image on your hard drive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.