John_Galt

How to spot a fake phone / How to buy an original phone in Cambodia?

John_Galt

How do you know you are buying an original phone? 

There are many places here in Cambodia and SEA that will try and sell you a fake / look-alike phone. Some businesses knowingly some unknowingly. 

Here is some tips to help you buy an original phone.

IPhone - This one is easy. 

Go to the app store. 
If it loads the Iphone app store it is real. 
If it loads the Google Play Store it is fake.

It is currently impossible to run a fake IOS all fake Iphones run Android with the skin changed to look like IOS.

Android - This is a little more complicated but still easy enough.

Download the Geekbench app onto the phone you are looking to buy. 
Then run the Geekbench Benchmark test. It can take from 5-15 minutes to run the test.
Take note of the resulting score.
Check this score on the Geekbench website. 
If the score is nearly the same the phone is real.
If the score is way off the phone is fake.

Example: 
Real Samsung note 8 Score is 1800 single core 6000 multi core
Fake Samsung note 8 score is 421 single core 1126 multi core 

The fake / knockoff phones are made to look like the original not to perform like it. You can't go by look alone some of the fakes are just too good. Just watch some YouTube videos and you will see.

If you want to buy a fake phone then the price generally seems to be 10% of the original phone's price. 

Good luck when buying a phone. 

• Thanks 2

syzmic

Great information.  Too bad that app is a 90 mb download.  That will complicate the process of checking the phone prior to purchase.

Of course, if the seller won't let you make that test, then you can safely assume the phone is fake, and he knows it .

John_Galt
20 minutes ago, syzmic said:

Great information.  Too bad that app is a 90 mb download.  That will complicate the process of checking the phone prior to purchase.

Of course, if the seller won't let you make that test, then you can safely assume the phone is fake, and he knows it .

When buying a smartphone for a few hundred dollars. I wouldn't even consider buying from a shop that didn't have wifi for their own use. If you are just buying the $10-$20 Nokia phone then no problem.

If they wont let you download the app don't do business with them. It is the equivalent of a used car salesman not letting you test drive the car.

• Like 1

Read2Learn

The only problem with that is, to download the app I believe that you would have to sign into your gmail account, is there another way? 

• Like 1

John_Galt
28 minutes ago, Read2Learn said:

The only problem with that is, to download the app I believe that you would have to sign into your gmail account, is there another way? 

That is a good point.

One option would be to have the shop login to the app store for you and download the app. It would depend on if the sales staff knew how to do it or not. 

Another option would be to make a new gmail account right there on the device you are looking at or to have one ready before going phone shopping.

I wouldn't log into my personal account until after I bought the phone.

It is worth the extra time if you are buying a name brand expensive phone. Even if it is new in box they are good at faking every thing including the box.

It is kind of pointless if you are buying a $30 Smart phone. 

• Like 1

Read2Learn

I have an apple id from years ago when it did not require adding a credit card, I tried to help a friend get an apple id recently and it insisted on a credit card. A test gmail account is a good idea for android. :thumbsup: Thank you for the tips. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

DavidLeon1977

On a samsung power it off, then hold the home,volume down and power button together until you see the samsung splash screen then release all three buttons , Andy the android will show up (download mode) if its a real samsung it will have text in the upper left corner that gives phone info one being knoxx which is samsung proprietary software (photo below) to back out of this simply do a battery pull or hold thd power button for 30 seconds to reboot on phones with a sealed back.

14991886096709.jpg

• Like 2

John_Galt
12 hours ago, DavidLeon1977 said:

On a samsung power it off, then hold the home,volume down and power button together until you see the samsung splash screen then release all three buttons , Andy the android will show up (download mode) if its a real samsung it will have text in the upper left corner that gives phone info one being knoxx which is samsung proprietary software (photo below) to back out of this simply do a battery pull or hold thd power button for 30 seconds to reboot on phones with a sealed back.

14991886096709.jpg

Good information thanks. I didnt know about that one.

• Thanks 1