Parrothead
1 hour ago, Bill H said:

Good ideas all, but you need to understand how these fences work. 

Although I have never actually needed an electric fence in the past, I have a good understanding of the electrical theory behind them. 

2 hours ago, Bill H said:

Where I ranched in Montana there was a chain of Ag Supply stores called Big R who carry exactly what you need.  They have an online presence now, but I have no idea if they will ship internationally or what the duty might be on these things in Cambodia.

I will have a look at their website and see if I can find anything that may be a suitable purchase for me. Even when finding deals on a particular item, the shipping is always through the roof. Often, I have found buying products from Australia or the UK, tend to be more economically feasible, than buying off eBay, or having them shipped from the US.

1 hour ago, Bill H said:

I used 8' long solid metal rods driven 6' in the ground.  Due to the moisture in Cambodia, you could probably get by with a shorter rod, but your ground can never be too good and must never be too weak either.

Actually, during dry season, grounds here do not function very well, due to the extended days and weeks with no rain. (I have experienced this with solar systems in the past.) 

However, there is an alternative.

For grounding the electric fence for reliable use in Cambodia, I intend to drive several long grounding rods, at various locations around the electric fence perimeter. I can then lay a width of chicken wire down adjacent to the fence, and attach it directly to the grounding system. When an animal (or not-so-smart barefooted person) steps on the chicken wire AND makes contact with the electric fence, that will guarantee they receive a shock.

I actually was able to find a video online, that shows how I intend to build our electric fencing system: 

2 hours ago, Bill H said:

A final word:  Don't use DC power for your charger.  The system will work best with AC current.  With DC keeping the batteries charged is a challenge and even at full charge, they do not have the power of AC units.

I beg to differ. In fact, there are tons of solar powered fence chargers on the market, many that have internal batteries. (I've seen some that use external batteries, like the one I would buy from Pete, as well.) The little solar panels on top, provide an ample charge rate to keep the batteries topped off. If in an area of multiple rainy days (over the course of a week, for example), like may happen here in Cambodia, you are correct. They may not function so well. But, a simple solution of adding one, or possibly two batteries, as well as enough additional solar panel array, will keep the batteries topped up. Always modify your system for the area of use. 

1 hour ago, Bill H said:

Also, stick with high tensile wire, common smooth and barbed wire does not work well in electric fence applications.

On 6/9/2018 at 3:42 PM, Parrothead said:

High tensile strength wire could be purchased at a number of stores, I'm pretty sure.

:D

34 minutes ago, andy said:

The dog idea is good, but only if your there to give commands to the dog. Employing a boy to walk the goats maybe an idea.

I don't want dogs on the property to guard, or run the goats. I want them here to eat anyone who comes on the property, without our expressed permission. While we haven't lost much over the years here, we have lost some chickens, ducks, and even fish right from the pond. 

Oz Jon

You may like to think about using Coke bottles as insulators.

They are certainly cheap enough, readily available and would make good insulators.

The trick would be finding a neat way to fix them to fence posts! ....

Maybe sticking them on 6" nails driven into wooden fence posts, then wiring the "shock wire" onto the recess, just above the bottom

Cheers

image.png.496e5d02eef8cc93e5cd2672db6c939c.png

ps,  You may also like to consider buying some of those cheap, thick,  heavy-duty poly cutting boards ( used in kitchens).

Cutting them up into strips and using the strips as insulators. 

Easy to fix to posts and drill a hole for the wire.

Edited by Oz Jon
image added, ps added
  • Like 1

andy
11 hours ago, Parrothead said:

While we haven't lost much over the years here, we have lost some chickens, ducks, and even fish right from the pond. 

Yes they can't keep their hands off. Pity we can't have guns here, like farmers at home. Good deterrent not to trespass. That's probably going too far.

So you don't want dogs to care for the goats. Can see that too, have to train them and that takes time. But I did think mollydookers was a good solution with having the dogs anyway. If I was to trespass I would not care if it was a large or small dog, here what would you do with a bite from either. Any size dog can be scary.

Our, or my ladies dog, he is known now has barang dog. I think because when I ride in to the fishing village, he will run up to me with good greetings. I think that is because I always bring him cooked chicken.

WP_20170713_14_34_31_Pro.thumb.jpg.6a2b0315ec1fde4ff78f07df6991cbb5.jpg 

He is a lovely dog. Always obeys. He is a small to medium dog of Irish decent. Keep saying I will have to give him haircut. He goes hunting with Papa every day and is very good at his job.

Anyone that would come to his home unwelcome would certainly know about it, protective nature takes over like the beast within.

So is it too be an electric zapper fence to keep the goats in? Then it depends on how many goats, this meaning it would be easier to tether them.

But like the cows here, taking them to graze anywhere they wish to go, same with the goat and easy to put a stake in the ground and a long bit of rope and tether them. Or like I made the suggestion, based on one of your comments about child labour! Employ a youngster to do this job for you.

10 hours ago, Oz Jon said:

The trick would be finding a neat way to fix them to fence posts! ....

I had a wicked thought just over the few words there! Nail the goat to the fence post. "Sorry" I was just thinking back to my mothers smallholding, and in her day, life was pretty hard.

TETHERING GOATS

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/goatslife/tethering.shtml

• Like 1

Parrothead
22 hours ago, andy said:

Yes they can't keep their hands off. Pity we can't have guns here, like farmers at home. Good deterrent not to trespass. That's probably going too far.

So you don't want dogs to care for the goats. Can see that too, have to train them and that takes time. But I did think mollydookers was a good solution with having the dogs anyway. If I was to trespass I would not care if it was a large or small dog, here what would you do with a bite from either. Any size dog can be scary.

It's probably best that I, personally, cannot own a gun here. Of course, in some of these countries (in SEA), it is a given that, if you go on someone else's property, and do so without permission, that you may end up getting what you deserve, up to and including death. That even applies in many states of the US, especially if the person means you or your family, harm. Internet search the term, Castle Doctrine.

I don't mind dogs looking after the animals. It's just that I would like my particular animals to perform specific duties, if possible. I guess that depends on how well I train them, though? 

Khmers seem to be pretty intimidated by large animals. I imagine, an animal with jaws wide enough to put around an entire arm or leg, would be particularly intimidating to them. In fact, sometime back at our apartment in town, a guy opened the gate and entered the property. This was during the day. He received a greeting from Lucky, the female German Shepherd on the property. She bit the hell out of him. Needless to say, when queried by the owner and his wife, he couldn't come up with a logical reason for being there. So, it was obvious he was up to no good. 

22 hours ago, andy said:

So is it too be an electric zapper fence to keep the goats in? Then it depends on how many goats, this meaning it would be easier to tether them.

But like the cows here, taking them to graze anywhere they wish to go, same with the goat and easy to put a stake in the ground and a long bit of rope and tether them. Or like I made the suggestion, based on one of your comments about child labour! Employ a youngster to do this job for you.

First, don't get me wrong here, Andy. I'm not one who would ever put an animal's rights over a human's. But, however long they are on this Earth, prior to serving our purpose, they deserve to be treated humanely. It gets under my skin to see how Khmer's (and Thais, and Filipinos, and others) treat animals, kicking dogs, etc. The boy in the video you are talking about, kicked one of our cows one afternoon when the animal wouldn't move fast enough for him. I got on his ass about that, in short order. He knows, at least not to let me catch him doing it again.

Now, over the years, there have been feral dogs on the property. We have one little female now. She goes with whomever is working with the cows each day, and looks after them. In recent history, we had three dogs. Each one had a different job, positions they took on naturally. They also worked together when intruders would come on the property, like a team. One particular dog would greet me, every time I would come to the farm. He wasn't mine, but certainly acted like he was. 

Unfortunately, not too terribly long ago, that dog was poisoned by someone, some piece of sh*t that had no care for an animal's life. God help anyone, if I ever catch them doing such a thing. I would go to jail over such an incident, you can bet your bottom dollar. The perpetrator would not be happy. Anyway, all three of those animals are dead now - the other two of old age. I miss them.

Dogs from other farms around here, tend to run in packs. So, having only one dog on the farm is not the best idea. They cannot take on an entire invading pack. That is why I want as many as I can reasonably afford, both feral and pure breed animals.

Anyway, while I am happy having feral dogs for general work around the farm, including looking after goats - if necessary, my two (or more) Rottweilers would be primarily for guarding the farm. Of course, maybe they too, would take on the role of performing similar duties around the farm? After all, I believe that was what Rottweilers were originally bred for, many moons gone.

As far as tethering animals, I am okay with it, IF they are elsewhere feeding. However, if they are here on the farm, I don't wish to tether any animal. That is the primary  purpose for fencing in areas of the farm, whether typical fence, or electrically charged. 

• Like 1

pyr8at40

i beleive i read from a joe saladins that goats that graze at pasture are prone to several medical problems. its like feeding someone only candy bars...too rich for them...they require woody plants like vines, bushes and such.....just something to investigate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Parrothead
2 minutes ago, pyr8at40 said:

i beleive i read from a joe saladins that goats that graze at pasture are prone to several medical problems. its like feeding someone only candy bars...too rich for them...they require woody plants like vines, bushes and such.....just something to investigate.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about that. I will definitely do more research, prior to buying our first goats. 

• Like 1

Oz Jon
On 6/12/2018 at 7:35 AM, pyr8at40 said:

Interestingly, I just watched a Country programme on Aus ABC TV about keeping goats on some of the poorer quality sheep-grazing land (which we have lots of in Aus).

Some farmers are improving their returns significantly  by running mixed sheep and (2nd generation angora/wild hybrid) goat herds.

The angora part yields valuable wool and the "wild" part provides ruggedness and survival in bad conditions.

An important factor is that the sheep prefer to eat the grass and the goats prefer to eat the rougher vegetation (scrub bushes, etc) - they don't compete for the same feed and both get the feed they prefer.

ps.  There are lots of feral goats, horses and camels in Aus. Been running wild in herds for decades.

Edited by Oz Jon
ps
  • Like 1

andy
2 hours ago, Oz Jon said:

goats prefer to eat the rougher vegetation (scrub bushes, etc) - they don't compete for the same feed and both get the feed they prefer.

Oz Jon have you been here yet. The scrub land is perfect for goats. That is all what Cambodia has to offer.

Parrothead
45 minutes ago, andy said:

Oz Jon have you been here yet. The scrub land is perfect for goats. That is all what Cambodia has to offer.

They certainly could make short work of some of the stuff we need to cut, here at the farm.