luvthai2003

Power Inverter

luvthai2003

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this. I'm assuming I can buy a good power inverter in PP. Can someone recommend a particular maker and where I can buy it? Thanks.

Edited by luvthai2003
Grammatical mistake.
  • Confused 1

Parrothead
1 hour ago, luvthai2003 said:

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this. I'm assuming I can buy a good power inverter in PP. Can someone recommend a particular maker and where I can buy it? Thanks.

I don't mean to sound condescending here. But, with my experience in electricity and solar installations, I am not 100% sure I understand what you are seeking.

Do you wish to invert from 12vdc, to 230vac? Or, do you wish to convert from 230vac, to say 120vac? 

Various hardware stores will have voltage converters. Voltage inverters, however, will probably only be found at solar power supply shops.

luvthai2003

I'm going to hook the inverter up to a 12-volt car battery and convert that 12 volts dc into 120 volts of ac. I want a power inverter with 500-750 watts so I can at least power a few things during power outages. 

• Thanks 1

syzmic

Odd request.  If you have some things to power during one of our famous power outages it's probably going to require 240 volts, since that's what's used in this country.  Or am I missing something? 

• Like 1

Parrothead
3 hours ago, luvthai2003 said:

I'm going to hook the inverter up to a 12-volt car battery and convert that 12 volts dc into 120 volts of ac. I want a power inverter with 500-750 watts so I can at least power a few things during power outages. 

Do these appliances happen to run off 230vac, as well? The reason I ask is, like @syzmic noted, the standard voltage here is 230vac, AND it runs at 50hz. You are not going to find a 12vdc to 120vac inverter, probably anywhere in this country. However, finding a 12vdc to 230vac power inverter will be available at solar supply shops in country. Locating an inverter under 1,000 Watts should be quite easy, as well. Most solar shops should have them on a shelf. They will most likely be MSW inverters, though. Not sure if you will locate a PSW inverter quite as easily.

Also, if you are going that route, I would advise you to buy a deep cycle battery, rather than an automotive battery. Automotive batteries are designed with thinner plates, and to provide an initial surge of power, then recharge. Deep Cycle / Solar batteries, on the other hand, are designed to provide steady, constant power to the load. 

Typically, solar batteries should currently cost between $1.25 to $1.35 per AH, in country.

7 hours ago, luvthai2003 said:

... and where I can buy it?

Whoops. Sorry. I neglected to add a shop I can recommend. I have dealt with, almost exclusively over the years, the Khmer Solar branch here in Battambang. Their branch in Phnom Penh is located at:

71 Norodom Blvd, corner of Street 154, first floor
Phsar Thmei 3, Khan Doun Penh
Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 12210

Edited by Parrothead

luvthai2003

Thanks, Parrot. I'll just go on and buy a power inverter here in California. Thanks for the 411 on the 'deep cycle' battery. You're the type of person I'd love to hook up with and sit down for related conversations. Unfortunately, im gonna be in PP. I'm into the 'green' thing. Living in the Sierra Nevadas not too long ago made me realize I had a lot to learn. 

• Like 1

Parrothead
4 hours ago, luvthai2003 said:

Thanks, Parrot. I'll just go on and buy a power inverter here in California. Thanks for the 411 on the 'deep cycle' battery. You're the type of person I'd love to hook up with and sit down for related conversations. Unfortunately, im gonna be in PP. I'm into the 'green' thing. Living in the Sierra Nevadas not too long ago made me realize I had a lot to learn. 

I know you said you wanted an inverter rated for 500 - 750 watts. However, there is an inverter that has received very high reviews for ages. I own a 230vac version of this inverter, in fact. It is a MorningStar SureSign 300 Watts Inverter. They are bulletproof, in case you are looking for a quality unit. I purchased mine from a company called EcoDirect, prior to leaving the US from a short visit, in early 2015. It's also a PSW inverter. Definitely read the specifications on it. Everything stated about this inverter is quite true.

Not sure how they rank against other online stores. But, here is the one at EcoDirect.

Regarding meeting up, I would be very happy to. I really enjoy talking with people about renewable / alternative energies. One guy, a younger Australian guy who lives in Phnom Penh, came up just to talk with me about these subjects, a few months ago. But, I'm sure we can arrange a meet up for when I may have to go to Phnom Penh, at some point in the future.

• Like 1

Parrothead

Oh, I almost forgot. Since you are still in the US, you may wish to consider buying the parts there, to build yourself an Automatic Transfer Switch. This would allow you to keep the loads you wish to run, connected full time. They would automatically switch from mains to inverter power, in the event of the power failure.

I've purchased similar parts here (from China), through eBay. But, I have only received parts that were absolute shit, especially the relays. If you buy them while you are still in the US, I am fairly sure the parts will be of higher quality. You could even buy a few spare relays (remember to buy for mains voltage here, though), to keep on hand. Just another thought, focused on the project you have in mind. Grainger may have some of the parts you are seeking.

Edited by Parrothead
Spelling error.

luvthai2003

Thanks for all the info. Will let you know when I'm in country.

I'm not sure what you mean by "buy a few spare relays (remember to buy for mains voltage here, though)". Thx

Al

Parrothead
1 hour ago, luvthai2003 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "buy a few spare relays (remember to buy for mains voltage here, though)". Thx

CLICK HERE to follow the link where Robert did his original write up. (Scroll down the page slightly, to view the parts list.)

CLICK HERE to view the specific relay Robert bought for his particular project. That relay works for 120vac.

It would work fine in the US, but not here. You would need a similar style relay, but with a coil voltage of 240vac. 

The relay plugs into a relay socket, like THIS ONE

See what I mean?

I apologize, as I am not always very good at explaining things as I would like to be.

• Like 1