luvthai2003

Apartment Hunting

luvthai2003

Yeah, I'm just gonna hang out in a cheap guesthouse and take my time looking. I might even just stay in a guesthouse while checking out a few coastal towns to live in. I'm an artist wanting to do the Paul Gauguin thing, but I don't want to be too far away from certain amenities. The best of both worlds... A hugely important thing is to find a good doctor in PP to make my personal doctor. I've got health issues I need to stay on top of. Anybody know one?  Thanks.

• Like 1

luvthai2003

From what research I've been able to do, Charles de Gaulle Blvd seems clean and nice, especially out aways from the Central Market. Is this a correct assessment? 

• Like 1

dicey eye

The main reasons I am  fond of the 51st street environs is that there are several low priced western eateries and three upscale international schools for employment. The nightlife is negligible; I’m usually asleep by 9 PM. I do little cavorting at night.

Work is my addiction- just don’t cotton to retirement. Tried that retirement route in the late 70s when I made a few100 k on real estate. Hated not punching the time clock and guess I’m just not creative enough to entertain myself  without work commitments. Not into kicking back in a hammock and relaxing.

Also there is a 6  screen cinema in the neighborhood and I'm a movie buff.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 2

Oz Jon

Well luvthai2003,

You are certainly going about this exercise the right way ... I get the impression that you've played this game before!

Traveling light, keeping out of trouble and staying at low cost accommodation for a while, while looking around, is certainly the right way to go.

You are getting some good advice from local expats

Best wishes.

• Like 2

Parrothead
5 hours ago, andy said:

That's the way to go. And take your time.

I have kinda just done the same here in Kampong Cham. Staying at my favourite hotel at a expensive 13usd per night. Now I have been looking around for somewhere to stay longer term and rented an apartment for 50usd per month. Easy to work out 4 nights stay in hotel to one month stay in apartment.

Wait. You have officially moved from Koh Kong?

3 hours ago, dicey eye said:

Hated not punching the time clock and guess I’m just not creative enough to entertain myself  without work commitments. Not into kicking back in a hammock and relaxing.

I tell ya, me and my ol' friend Jasper, whom I personally call Jack, have enjoyed some lengthy conversations in the past, many while I was hangin' in a hammock. 

:shots:  :bar:

luvthai2003

Oz Jon, I've spent a lot of time in Asia. 7 years in Japan, 2 in Taiwan, almost a year retired in the Phils. I've visited South Korea, Thailand and Hong Kong several times and did the India to Kathmandu thing. Freak Street no longer exists but in our memories. And Goa is but a shell of its former self. 

• Like 1

andy
1 hour ago, Parrothead said:

Wait. You have officially moved from Koh Kong?

No! I am spending a little time in Kampong Cham and looking into a new venture! So just now too much on.

But the apartment I have rented and paid two months is ideal in the centre of town, other tenants are all professional, so the place is nice and quite.

I am taking my time so no rushing. May go back to the bar in a weeks time and spend some time there, then back here again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dicey eye

You appear to be something of an entrepreneur - business in Koh Kong and sticks in the fire in Kampong Cham. Industrious dude.

• Like 1

Parrothead
9 hours ago, andy said:

May go back to the bar in a weeks time and spend some time there, then back here again. 

How long is the commute between the two locations? 

dicey eye

Me thinks its many hours - not a hop skip and a jump

• Like 1