norwegian26

Long term stay for a 26 year old

norwegian26

Hi,

I am a Norwegian citizen (26 years old). 

I have currently been working in Manila, Philippines for about 5 years but at the moment I am just doing freelance work and earning anywhere between 1800 USD up to 3700 USD a month.

Now I want to change things up a bit, I have been wanting to move to Cambodia or Vietnam for a while now (been to both countries before) and it seems like Cambodia is where I want to stay, for at least a year.

I have been googling about long term VISA alternatives and it seems like after a new law was put in order just recently about who can have the long term VISA's made it a little harder to get a VISA for long term stay.

I would like to have a multiple entry VISA but as I understand only 6 and 12 month VISA's are available for multiple entry, and to get a 6 or 12 month VISA you need to have a work permit in Cambodia.

So it seems like the best VISA option for me would be to first arrive in Cambodia and then get an "ORDINARY (E) Visa" on arrival which is valid for 30 days, then extend that VISA to a 3 month visa (ORDINARY (E) VISA ONLY).

But still this is not a multiple entry VISA. I would like to have a multiple entry VISA so I can visit Manila every now and then, take a trip to Vietnam, Laos ETC and my home country of course without having to start the process all over again each time.

So my question is: Is there anyone that knows a better way to do this? Because as I understand the only way to get a multiple entry VISA is to get a 6 or 12 months VISA but they are only available for those who has a work permit in Cambodia.

Thanks in advance :) 

Parrothead
46 minutes ago, norwegian26 said:

I would like to have a multiple entry VISA but as I understand only 6 and 12 month VISA's are available for multiple entry, and to get a 6 or 12 month VISA you need to have a work permit in Cambodia.

Hi, first, welcome to the forum. Glad to see ya here.

Now, understand that I do not work in country. Nor do I have a working (business) visa. I am here on a retirement visa (ER).

You can enter the country on an EG visa, which is showing you are looking for work. That visa will be valid for six months. It is also a one time visa. That is, to my knowledge, you cannot renew / extend that visa. Afterward, you would have to convert it to an EB visa. The one thing I do not know is, if an EG is a multiple entry, or a single entry visa.

You are correct, in that 6 month and 12 month visas are multiple-entry. 

norwegian26
41 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Hi, first, welcome to the forum. Glad to see ya here.

Now, understand that I do not work in country. Nor do I have a working (business) visa. I am here on a retirement visa (ER).

You can enter the country on an EG visa, which is showing you are looking for work. That visa will be valid for six months. It is also a one time visa. That is, to my knowledge, you cannot renew / extend that visa. Afterward, you would have to convert it to an EB visa. The one thing I do not know is, if an EG is a multiple entry, or a single entry visa.

You are correct, in that 6 month and 12 month visas are multiple-entry. 

Thanks for your reply, I did some googling about the EG VISA and it seems like it is multiple entry, but it is only available for 6 months and cannot be renewed again but I read that it is not to hard to obtain an EB VISA after that without being employed by an Cambodian company :)

• Like 1

John_Galt
2 hours ago, norwegian26 said:

So my question is: Is there anyone that knows a better way to do this? Because as I understand the only way to get a multiple entry VISA is to get a 6 or 12 months VISA but they are only available for those who has a work permit in Cambodia.

The rules for how to obtain a visa with and without a work permit keep changing. Though if you want one it shouldn't be too much of a problem just follow the rules of the given week. 

Welcome to the forum. What type of freelance work do you do? 

norwegian26
3 hours ago, John_Galt said:

The rules for how to obtain a visa with and without a work permit keep changing. Though if you want one it shouldn't be too much of a problem just follow the rules of the given week. 

Welcome to the forum. What type of freelance work do you do? 

Hehe, good old SEA, one week up is down, next week down is sideways...

Oh well, im sure it cant be too hard to figure out how the rules are the week I am there to get a VISA for long term stay, found a guide online that showed me how to do it, but the rules might change of course.

Working freelance as a chat moderator for Windows technical support for a Norwegian company. Basically answering customers problems via chat. Paid per message replied too aka working for commission, depending on the type of messages and how motivated I am to work, on a daily basis I make anywhere between 50 USD to 315 USD per day.

• Like 1

Parrothead
2 hours ago, norwegian26 said:

Working freelance as a chat moderator for Windows technical support for a Norwegian company. Basically answering customers problems via chat. Paid per message replied too aka working for commission, depending on the type of messages and how motivated I am to work, on a daily basis I make anywhere between 50 USD to 315 USD per day.

Damn! I wish I could have known I could make that kinda change as a chat moderator! I know prostitutes that don't make that kind of money. :D

• Funny 1

norwegian26
26 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Damn! I wish I could have known I could make that kinda change as a chat moderator! I know prostitutes that don't make that kind of money. :D

Hehe, well, I guess its because I am Norwegian ;-) They usually pay us more for customer and technical support work

• Like 1

Parrothead
3 minutes ago, norwegian26 said:

They usually pay us more for customer and technical support work

I imagine so. Your economy is probably the best economy on the planet. I knew a bunch of sailors, who retired to the Philippines. They typically had the equivalent of something around $3,000 USD per month, retirement. 

norwegian26
42 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

I imagine so. Your economy is probably the best economy on the planet. I knew a bunch of sailors, who retired to the Philippines. They typically had the equivalent of something around $3,000 USD per month, retirement. 

Yea, a friend of mine is a "sailor" and he earns around 10 000 USD a month, and only works 6 months a year. 1 month on, 1 off... But if you work on an oil rig you get around 15-20 000 usd a month and only work 2 weeks and 4 weeks off... Damn that must be the dream..

• Like 1

dicey eye

Why is oil rig pay so high?